Kimio
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
anyone know where this question is from???

A ladder AB has mass M and length 6a.

The end A of the ladder is on rough horizontal ground.

The ladder rests against a fixed smooth horizontal rail at the point C.

The point C is at a vertical height 4a above the ground.

The vertical plane containing AB is perpendicular to the rail.

The ladder is inclined to the horizontal at an angle a, where sin a= 4/5,, as shown in Figure 1.

The coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground is u.

The ladder rests in limiting equilibrium.

The ladder is modelled as a uniform rod.

Using the model,

(a) show that the magnitude of the force exerted on the ladder by the rail at C is 9Mg/25

(b) Hence, or otherwise, find the value of mu.
spinningtop
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Not certain, but it looks very similar to some of the questions here: https://mathsmartinthomas.files.word...tics-pastq.pdf
Hallouminatus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Ladder questions like this are ubiquitous. What makes this one a bit unusual is that the ladder rests against a rail rather than a wall. Why do you need to know where it's from?
scoobiedoobiedoo
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Did you ever find out where this question is from I had in my recent paper and I just want to see the solutions as I keep getting 9Mg/20

But when I model the rod as non uniform I get 9Mg/25.

And now I'm a bit paranoid about what mu could be 🥲
Troyking221
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Was there a diagram for this question
scoobiedoobiedoo
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Name:  USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1616102095945_6778423485431368406.jpeg
Views: 104
Size:  189.2 KB
Well I worked it out I had a diagram in my question but it never stated 4a as a height
POP977NOW
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by scoobiedoobiedoo)
Name:  USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1616102095945_6778423485431368406.jpeg
Well I worked it out I had a diagram in my question but it never stated 4a as a height
good
Last edited by POP977NOW; 1 month ago
dm999
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's correct. 18/49
FaccoyKazz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hello, thanks so much for working through this publicly i was so stuck! would you be able to explain to me your horizontal forces because i couldn’t get the Rcsinx to be horizontal, only diagonal :/
scoobiedoobiedoo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FaccoyKazz)
hello, thanks so much for working through this publicly i was so stuck! would you be able to explain to me your horizontal forces because i couldn’t get the Rcsinx to be horizontal, only diagonal :/
Oh my I did this question such a long time ago aha but if you are really stuck on forces and static rigid bodies I suggest for you to look at the website maths genie a level revision.

He does revision videos for all topics as well as questions for you to work on with solutions.

Maths takes a lot of practise and time aha
FaccoyKazz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh my I did this question such a long time ago aha but if you are really stuck on forces and static rigid bodies I suggest for you to look at the website maths genie a level revision.

He does revision videos for all topics as well as questions for you to work on with solutions.

Maths takes a lot of practise and time aha
no worries i understand it was a long time ago!😂thanks so much for the suggestion i definitely will have a look!
POP977NOW
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
drfrost has very good questions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed