The Student Room Group

Lancaster vs Exeter vs Aston :MsC Accounting and Finance

Hi all, needed some guidance on how to choose between two offers I currently hold.

I am an international applicant and not sure of the reputations. As per the QS and Times department rankings, I can see Lancaster is far ahead of both Exeter and Aston(for which I received a 2000 GBP scholarship as well) but need advice from the employment prospects front as well-as to which uni carries more weight for potential employers.
Reply 1
I've got a offer for Aston too with Msc in Finance
Did you zero down any one university or still thinking?
Reply 2
Original post by 4nk1t
I've got a offer for Aston too with Msc in Finance
Did you zero down any one university or still thinking?

Hey there! No not yet, I am yet to decide!
What about you, any others you applied for? I'm confused between Lancaster and Aston. League table wise Lancaster is ahead but it's in too small a city!
Reply 3
Thanks for your help John, much appreciated!
Original post by rsj17
Hi all, needed some guidance on how to choose between two offers I currently hold.

I am an international applicant and not sure of the reputations. As per the QS and Times department rankings, I can see Lancaster is far ahead of both Exeter and Aston(for which I received a 2000 GBP scholarship as well) but need advice from the employment prospects front as well-as to which uni carries more weight for potential employers.

Greetings rsj17

I am really happy to see that you are considering Lancaster University as one of your choices. My name is Iren, I am currently a 2nd-year student at Lancaster, studying BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance, and I will be glad to help you with your decision. I am also an international student and fully understand your concerns.

In terms of rankings, yes, the University is proud of its ranking because it depends on its exquisite results by its graduates and current students. In terms of employment, here are some prospects :

89% of graduates were in graduate-level work or further study within six months of graduating (Complete University Guide 2021). This is the latest data we have, based on 2017/18 graduates.
2nd in the UK for graduate employability (Guardian University League Tables 2020)
3rd in the UK for graduate prospects, and best in the North West (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019)

A summary of the subject ranking can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lums/about-us/

Rankings should not be the only things assisting you in making a decision. I chose Lancaster University after researching the modules in the degree, the prospects after it, the everyday life at Lancaster University, and overall satisfaction. Employment-wise, I personally managed to get an internship even after my first year at University at a big American company.

If you need any additional information regarding the degree or the University, I will be glad to help you.

Iren
Accounting and Finance Student, Student Ambassador at LUMS
Original post by rsj17

Hi there,

Congratulations on your offers! As an international student, I'm sure you'll find the diversity at Aston and in Birmingham very welcoming. Deciding on universities is hard and if you haven't already I'm hoping I can help.

The MSc Accounting and Finance course at Aston is a fantastic step towards becoming a qualified accountant. It is accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA). This means you will benefit from exemptions, which will reduce the number of ACCA or CIMA professional exams that you will need to take to become a fully qualified accountant once in employment. You will still need to secure professional training to complete further exams to become fully qualified in accountancy, but these exemptions demonstrate to future employers your commitment and potential to complete sector qualifications.

As part of the programme, you’ll have the opportunity to study abroad with one of Aston's international partners, undertake an internship placement in the UK or overseas or get involved in a global business challenge simulation.
The course offers a range of opportunities to gain practical experience through things such as, consultancy projects and entrepreneurial opportunities which will go a long way in improving your employability.

You can go on a work placement for as little as one month or as long as a year. You’ll spend your time with a company of your choice, either in the UK or overseas. A work placement is really beneficial to your future career prospects, it can enhance your CV and help you stand out from the competition when applying for graduate roles. It’s also a fantastic opportunity to develop your understanding of your subject area by applying what you’ve learnt in the classroom to a professional context.

Not only does Aston have strong links with national and international organisations, the Careers and Placements team at Aston University also won the 'Best University Careers/Employability Service' category at the National Undergraduate Employability (NUE) Awards 2020.

You can find more about the course here (https://www.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/accounting-and-finance-msc-january-2022).

I hope this has helped

*Ethel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending