The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
BossLady
No....actually it's totally the right choice. He'll now be on the best Computer Science course in the country. Period.

6 letter word, begins with "b", ends with "iased". :biggrin:
Reply 21
Find me an opinion that isn't :smile:
Reply 22
chaoscomplex
Find me an opinion that isn't :smile:

Mine...ohhh wait.... :biggrin:
Reply 23
Well, I've looked over both course.. and at the uni's themselves... its a tough choice.. have alternated from one to the other since I got my Cambridge offer.. but overall, for me personally, imperial course was the better choice... its in London (which a plus in my books), the course is much more up my street, lots of flexibility... 6 months in industry in 3rd year - which leads onto many possibilities... MEng course in something I like (AI) and due to the flexibility, if this interest changes in next two years i can change over to something else. The labs there are pretty awesome (didn't get a chance to look at Cambridge ones.. sure they will match up pretty well too.. )

Cambridge.. it has the name.. reputation.. but for me.. its a no no, the course layout is good, but it doesn't weigh up as well as imperial in the practical aspects of computing - from the course structure - you get the idea that its a lot of theory. Cambridge also has a good academic calendar.. but still.. all in all.. imperial wins out of the two.

Also, in a recent statistic thingy majig of uni's all over the world... imperial came 3rd for comp sci.. and cambridge came 7th (1 and 2 were MIT and Stanford - USA) - can't remember where I saw this though... but its true that statistics can often mean v. little unless you really know what they represent. The good times guide ranks camb as #1 .. imp as #3 (Here - Guardian ranks Oxford as #1 ( :confused: ) and Imp as #2 and Camb as #4 (Here).

So at the end of it.. depends on the individual :smile:

Also, as stated by BossLady, I applied to both Camb and Imp... as I would have picked Camb if I didn't get into Imp - would have thought that would have been obvious :rolleyes:

MdSalih
Reply 24
MdSalih
Also, as stated by BossLady, I applied to both Camb and Imp... as I would have picked Camb if I didn't get into Imp - would have thought that would have been obvious :rolleyes:

Well yes, it would have been, although I personally know no one who's applied to both and got an offer from Cambridge and not Imperial for CompSci, and I've talked to a lot of people. Still, there must be some. :smile:
Reply 25
one gr8 thing about cam - the comp sci building funded by bill g himself, its soooooooo nice! v open and modern. but thats about it - the course seems v science based, as in not JUST computing. prefer imperial def - 6 month placement should b great (fingers crossed for an offer after wed!) :frown:
Reply 26
The Imperial computing (+maths) building is very concretey, but to be honest it doesn't matter -- it's nice inside.
Reply 27
Ah, you shouldn't be applying just for the name, and you shouldn't be applying just for the women! Choose the better course!

I like the courses and universities exactly the same :rolleyes: So i need a deciding factor...
Reply 28
lively city, accomodation, student union, etc..
Reply 29
trev
lively city, accomodation, student union, etc..

I got an offer from glasgow from Glasgow, providing I get a B in maths.

I have applied to Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Aberdeen - they are all taking long ...I am begining to wonder if they have lost my UCAS form in the post.

I also applied to Bristol, where I got rejected :bootyshak
Reply 30
DOJO
I got an offer from glasgow from Glasgow, providing I get a B in maths.

I have applied to Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Aberdeen - they are all taking long ...I am begining to wonder if they have lost my UCAS form in the post.

I also applied to Bristol, where I got rejected :bootyshak

Also rejected from Bristol. Offers everywhere else though. :smile:

Good job I don't care.
Reply 31
kaiten
Also rejected from Bristol. Offers everywhere else though. :smile:

Good job I don't care.

Bristol are harsh...They reject everybody.

Latest

Trending

Trending