Next month's census will conflate data on sex and gender

Watch
Jowo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Why do these people disagree, though? Transgendered and transexual people make up a very small fraction of the population. Even if all of these people answered the 'sex question' using their legal sex and not their birth sex, it's not like it will make a meaningful difference.
Be careful over dismissing small data sets.

There has been a large increase in the number of women being convicted of sexually related crimes in the UK which historically has been tiny in number because males make up a very large number of the perpetrators for this type of offence. 98% of those convicted for sexual offences in the UK are men.

For example, BBC File on Four recently reported that between ‘2015 and 2019, the numbers of reported cases of female-perpetrated child sexual abuse to police in England and Wales rose from 1,249 to 2,297 – an increase of 84 per cent’.

It is alleged that this spike is caused by the number of transwomen that are now included in these statistics. The crime statistics merely record the gender, therefore the breakdown is not known - the data is not there to either prove or refute the allegation so we are left with people coming up with theories, such as the one below, rather the facts that come from accurate data.

Nicola Williams runs the group Fair Play for Women and has analysed the figures on which these alarming claims are based. Her research claims the statistics used by File on Four indicate that women comprise only three per cent of those reported as committing child sexual abuse. As such, if even a small number of men are recorded as women the number of ‘women’ committing crimes will seem vastly inflated.

Reference: Spiked Online article 'Why are we protecting the feelings of rapists?'
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jowo)
Be careful over dismissing small data sets.

There has been a large increase in the number of women being convicted of sexually related crimes in the UK which historically has been tiny in number because males make up a very large number of the perpetrators for this type of offence. 98% of those convicted for sexual offences in the UK are men.

For example, BBC File on Four recently reported that between ‘2015 and 2019, the numbers of reported cases of female-perpetrated child sexual abuse to police in England and Wales rose from 1,249 to 2,297 – an increase of 84 per cent’.

It is alleged that this spike is caused by the number of transwomen that are now included in these statistics. The crime statistics merely record the gender, therefore the breakdown is not known - the data is not there to either prove or refute the allegation so we are left with people coming up with theories, such as the one below, rather the facts that come from accurate data.

Nicola Williams runs the group Fair Play for Women and has analysed the figures on which these alarming claims are based. Her research claims the statistics used by File on Four indicate that women comprise only three per cent of those reported as committing child sexual abuse. As such, if even a small number of men are recorded as women the number of ‘women’ committing crimes will seem vastly inflated.

Reference: Spiked Online article 'Why are we protecting the feelings of rapists?'
What has this got to do with the census, which is inherently a much larger dataset than that of sexual abusers?
Jowo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
What has this got to do with the census, which is inherently a much larger dataset than that of sexual abusers?
You can fine well see that it is in direct response to your dismissing the stats around transgender data that could be collected in the census where you regard them as too low in number to be meaningful. I provided your quote in my response. You are contradicting yourself. I am illustrating why accurate data could be helpful in other areas.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jowo)
You can fine well see that it is in direct response to your dismissing the stats around transgender data that could be collected in the census where you regard them as too low in number to be meaningful. I provided your quote in my response. You are contradicting yourself. I am illustrating why accurate data could be helpful in other areas.
How have I contradicted myself? Your response had nothing to do with the census, it was about data on sexual abusers.
Jowo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The devil is in the detail. If the right data is not collected, then useful and accurate information cannot be collected.

The example I provided relating to sexual offence statistics (small data set) is relevant - it highlights why care needs to be taken with the Census (large data set).

It shows the risk that can result from ambiguous or missing data when it is not properly collected at source.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jowo)
The devil is in the detail. If the right data is not collected, then useful and accurate information cannot be collected.

The example I provided relating to sexual offence statistics (small data set) is relevant - it highlights why care needs to be taken with the Census (large data set).

It shows the risk that can result from ambiguous or missing data when it is not properly collected at source.
The example you gave of sexual offence statistics is not relevant to the census, since the latter is a far larger. Ambigious or missing data will not affect the results of the census in the same way that it would for a smaller data set; that's just how numbers work.
Pythian
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
The ONS is right and there will be no loss of valuable data, in fact if anything that have expanded the questions to give a more accurate picture of sex and gender in the UK.

This has just become a target for TERFs that will attack anything if trans is mentioned.
Do you think this is valuable information?

It feels like an orgy of barking and howling by the usual groupuscules on the fashionable controversies of the day.

I won't be bothering anymore, I don't think.
Hallouminatus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The ONS has now agreed to amend the guidance to advise people to answer the sex question with the sex on their birth certificate or a gender recognition certificate. They've done this to avoid the full judicial review that was due to start today. The amended guidance is an improvement, but it still means people with a GRC will not answer with their gender identity rather than their biological sex, and many people without a GRC are likely to ignore the guidance and answer according to how they feel rather than their actual sex. Although the judicial review has been cancelled, which will reduce the amount of media attention and scrutiny the issue gets, there is still pressure to clarify the issue; see https://sexinthecensus.org/. The Scottish census, which is due next year, is not directly affected by the ONS's decision, as it it run by the NRS, which has already announced that their guidance will be to answer the sex question according to your gender identity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (436)
14.7%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (333)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (413)
13.92%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (138)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.07%
Loneliness (255)
8.6%
Financial worries (109)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (160)
5.39%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (261)
8.8%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (280)
9.44%

Watched Threads