anyIBers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Currently at a non target RG studying economics. Hold a committee position on the banking society. Can't engage in any other ECs due to covid. I recently failed in the spring week application process and was wondering:

* If I was to get a 1st in my degree (combined with good ECs) do I have a shot at getting in a oxford/lse/warwick finance MSc? If I was to get in on one of these, would I have a chance at recruiting for an ib position? Struggling in seeing exactly how competitive/exclusive they are. I've read in some places that your "Brand" starts off with your UG so if that's bad could my CV be permanently tarnished?

*If not IB, what could I realistically get in terms of internships for next summer? What is the level below IB? corporate banking, advisory? I feel I need to hedge my bets by applying for stuff that's less exclusive than ib m&a roles but not sure what
anonuser99
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Masters is somewhat of a Great Reset, so no you're not permanently "tarnished". That doesnt mean you ignore your UG.

Checkout this link for other finance careers: https://corporatefinanceinstitute.co...s/careers/map/

Also Big4 Stuff.
Buttmuffin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by anyIBers)
Currently at a non target RG studying economics. Hold a committee position on the banking society. Can't engage in any other ECs due to covid. I recently failed in the spring week application process and was wondering:

* If I was to get a 1st in my degree (combined with good ECs) do I have a shot at getting in a oxford/lse/warwick finance MSc? If I was to get in on one of these, would I have a chance at recruiting for an ib position? Struggling in seeing exactly how competitive/exclusive they are. I've read in some places that your "Brand" starts off with your UG so if that's bad could my CV be permanently tarnished?

*If not IB, what could I realistically get in terms of internships for next summer? What is the level below IB? corporate banking, advisory? I feel I need to hedge my bets by applying for stuff that's less exclusive than ib m&a roles but not sure what
"If I was to get a 1st in my degree (combined with good ECs) do I have a shot at getting in a oxford/lse/warwick finance MSc?"

You have a shot, but it will heavily depend on your work experience + actual grade (72? 78? 85?).
Also forget Oxf... their only finance master's is MFE, which is insanely competitive (GMAT + quant req). For master's, consider Cambridge/LSE/Imperial instead.

"If not IB, what could I realistically get in terms of internships for next summer?

In all likelihood, you won't get anything FO.
Sorry... but unless you're diversity, it's unlikely you'll get a FO summer from a non-target RG. You're competing with target 3rd years, master's students and continental Europeans who have done multiple off-cycles for summers.
If you do get an offer, then big big big props to you.
But realistically, try going for pension funds, actuarial consulting, MO/BO roles, tier 3 consulting firms, big 4. Audit to IB later on is always possible.

"What is the level below IB? corporate banking, advisory? I feel I need to hedge my bets by applying for stuff that's less exclusive than ib m&a roles but not sure what"

You need to realise your current position man, and lower your expectations... also IB is literally advisory.
Go for the stuff I suggested above.

"I've read in some places that your "Brand" starts off with your UG so if that's bad could my CV be permanently tarnished?"
To be blunt, yes. But RG is RG, it's ok
anyIBers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Buttmuffin)
"If I was to get a 1st in my degree (combined with good ECs) do I have a shot at getting in a oxford/lse/warwick finance MSc?"

You have a shot, but it will heavily depend on your work experience + actual grade (72? 78? 85?).
Also forget Oxf... their only finance master's is MFE, which is insanely competitive (GMAT + quant req). For master's, consider Cambridge/LSE/Imperial instead.

"If not IB, what could I realistically get in terms of internships for next summer?

In all likelihood, you won't get anything FO.
Sorry... but unless you're diversity, it's unlikely you'll get a FO summer from a non-target RG. You're competing with target 3rd years, master's students and continental Europeans who have done multiple off-cycles for summers.
If you do get an offer, then big big big props to you.
But realistically, try going for pension funds, actuarial consulting, MO/BO roles, tier 3 consulting firms, big 4. Audit to IB later on is always possible.

"What is the level below IB? corporate banking, advisory? I feel I need to hedge my bets by applying for stuff that's less exclusive than ib m&a roles but not sure what"

You need to realise your current position man, and lower your expectations... also IB is literally advisory.
Go for the stuff I suggested above.

"I've read in some places that your "Brand" starts off with your UG so if that's bad could my CV be permanently tarnished?"
To be blunt, yes. But RG is RG, it's ok
Thanks! appreciate the realistic view
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads