The Student Room Group

Psychology vs law

I've applied for psychology with neuroscience with a foundation year however I am debating whether or not if I should change to law. Both sectors interest me although I will admit I have loved psychology since I was about 13 and I've only really started looking into law a few months ago. The only careers in law that interest me are being a lawyer or a judge which takes numerous year's of experience whereas which in psychology I would be interested in being a clinical/educational, a neuropsychologist/something within neuroscience at the very least a therapist.
I don't want to switch then regret it or regret not switching.
Is there any online resources for law at undergraduate level?
Would anyone recommend law over psychology?
Anyone a law or psychology student graduate ?
Tbh I'd argue that becoming a clinical psychologist is just as competitive as becoming a lawyer, you'd need a very good/excellent undergraduate degree in Psychology, potentially an MSc and at least a couple of years relevant, clinical work experience before even considering applying for the DClinPsy. Many have to make multiple applications over the course of several years before being offered a place as well. Every area of psychology - clinical, forensic, educational, sport etc - requires postgraduate study.

I'm not trying to put you off psychology but it's good to have realistic expectations of the process to becoming qualified before making a decision.
And here I am wanting to switch my uni plans from law to psychology :biggrin: I'd done 2 years of law related course and I realised I've enjoyed learning about psychology much more than about the law. There is only one area of law I'm somehow interested in (criminal law) and I'm starting to doubt if it's a good idea to do an LLB if you're not dying to become a lawyer. This is coming from someone who's planned to become a lawyer for the past 4 years. Let me know if you have any questions or want to have a little chat!

Quick Reply

Latest