Do you take the same classes as everyone else if you did a foundation year first?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Jess976
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm either having to take an access course or a foundation year as i haven't got enough points to get on the course I want, the point of the foundation year or access course is to essentially give you extra/enough points to get onto a regular degree (ignoring the content of what the classes are for a second).
So basically my question is, if you do a foundation year first, when you get onto the normal degree with everyone else after, you'll be taking the same classes as everyone else who didn't do a foundation/access course right?
Because I'm trying to pick whether to do an access course or foundation year but if you start in the same classes as everyone anyway for the normal degree, surely it doesn't matter the content of the foundation year or access course (it's just for points ) because there's not going to be a separate class for foundation years because you already have a bit of info about the course?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Yes.

You do the Year 0 Foundation course to bring you up to the same standard as those starting Year 1 with the right A level grades.
You then do exactly the same main degree from Year 1 to Year 3.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jess976)
I'm either having to take an access course or a foundation year as i haven't got enough points to get on the course I want, the point of the foundation year or access course is to essentially give you extra/enough points to get onto a regular degree (ignoring the content of what the classes are for a second).
So basically my question is, if you do a foundation year first, when you get onto the normal degree with everyone else after, you'll be taking the same classes as everyone else who didn't do a foundation/access course right?
Because I'm trying to pick whether to do an access course or foundation year but if you start in the same classes as everyone anyway for the normal degree, surely it doesn't matter the content of the foundation year or access course (it's just for points ) because there's not going to be a separate class for foundation years because you already have a bit of info about the course?
Hello Jess976,

I completed a Foundation year before starting Year 1 of my course and yes, you do take the same classes after this year! I found the foundation year extremely useful as it will teach you the skills needed for the next year, in the style of the University. You will get a chance to meet the tutors and I think this is an extreme advantage as opposed to an access course!

Let me know if you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
Gabrielle- University of Hull Rep
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You'll end up in the same position whether you take Access or a Yr 0 - except with an Access Diploma you wont use up a year of the degree funding (and if you do have an Advanced Learner Loan to pay the fees then that will be wiped once you get a degree) and you'll have the option to apply to 5 different universities. With a Yr 0 foundation year option then you're limited to continuing at that university (unless you're lucky) and will be paying a lot more in fees for the privilege.

There are very few cases were a foundation year is a better option that taking a level 3 qualification (like an Access to HE Diploma or A levels).
NineLivesBurra
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Hi Jess,

There are several things to consider here.
An Access course will give you all the skills you need to study a degree of your choosing at university with the added bonus, if this is a concern to you, that the Adult Learner Loan you take out to study the access course is wiped out as if it never existed if you start a degree programme immediately after graduating from the Access course. However, student loans are in no way a debt and should never be viewed as such. You may never earn above the required threshold for repayments. If you work part-time for whatever reason, you are unlikely to ever meet the threshold for repayments. Fear of a debt should never prevent you from studying especially when it is not a debt and will never ever have an impact on your credit score.
The content of the Access course may be relevant to your choice of degree programme or not. There is no rule that says you must study a specific Access course and you are right, the subjects don't matter. What matters is showing you can achieve what is necessary to study at degree level and those are the important skills you will gain. You will learn how to write the best essays/reports etc and how to reference as well as many other skills such as organisational skills.
The foundation year will give you all of those but in the subject of the degree programme.
You need to decide if you really want to spend 4 years at university on one programme or if you want to take the Access course which may highlight skills in other areas that may sway your programme choice for your degree.

I hope this helps
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed