The Student Room Group

Are Gcse mini exams cancelled?!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billybob234
yup well that's happening unfortunately :confused: this years results will be more of a mess than last years i expect

thats not lmao. who said?
Original post by NemesisVIG_
thats not lmao. who said?

A large number of schools have/are sitting mocks at home i can confirm :smile:
A large number of schools have/are sitting mocks at home i can confirm :smile:

confirm by what ? its really unfair and it shouldnt happen. If the school is doing this they are doing something really unfair and should be reported as everyone in the school will have an advantage
Guys I don't know if this is accurate or not, but it has been reported on The Sun that mini exams (external assessments) will still go ahead but will be voluntary for schools to decide and not students themselves. Also, it states that Boris Johnson will instead opt for a phased return with primary first and then older pupils after.1.PNG
confirm by what ? its really unfair and it shouldnt happen. If the school is doing this they are doing something really unfair and should be reported as everyone in the school will have an advantage

i know people from a variety of schools in my area and many of them have sat mocks at home or are currently sitting at home mocks. I'm sure there are also many people on this site who will have done at home mocks.
Original post by David3686
Guys I don't know if this is accurate or not, but it has been reported on The Sun that mini exams (external assessments) will still go ahead but will be voluntary for schools to decide and not students themselves. Also, it states that Boris Johnson will instead opt for a phased return with primary first and then older pupils after.1.PNG

Wait till tomorrow to find out exactly what's happening there has been too much speculating from the news sources recently each claiming loads of different stuff.
Reply 66

Hi @NemesisVIG_, our school actually did mock exams in December before lockdown and they might be making us do it again when we come back to school. Overall, I personally don't agree with mini-exams or doing mocks and I think instead, we should use a nation wide approach of centre assessed or teacher given grades like last year but with no algorithm involved. But obviously, it's up to the government to decide what to do and I just hope that when they give the outcome tomorrow, it involves using a method that is as fair as possible :smile:
Original post by dani_05
Hi @NemesisVIG_, our school actually did mock exams in December before lockdown and they might be making us do it again when we come back to school. Overall, I personally don't agree with mini-exams or doing mocks and I think instead, we should use a nation wide approach of centre assessed or teacher given grades like last year but with no algorithm involved. But obviously, it's up to the government to decide what to do and I just hope that when they give the outcome tomorrow, it involves using a method that is as fair as possible :smile:

you know predicted grades are super unfair to a lot of people (people who dont really revise or do hw that can get good results if they put effort)
Reply 68
you know predicted grades are super unfair to a lot of people (people who dont really revise or do hw that can get good results if they put effort)

Hi @NemesisVIG_, I get your point. However, I personally think it's better to overpredict someone's grades than to give someone a lower grade. Also, mini-exams will disadvantage people who have had mental health and family issues during this pandemic so is unfair as well. I think the best way to move forward is just pick the method that is as fair as possible and I personally believe that method is just teacher given grades :smile:
i know people from a variety of schools in my area and many of them have sat mocks at home or are currently sitting at home mocks. I'm sure there are also many people on this site who will have done at home mocks.

I've done home mocks too.
Original post by dani_05
Hi @NemesisVIG_, I get your point. However, I personally think it's better to overpredict someone's grades than to give someone a lower grade. Also, mini-exams will disadvantage people who have had mental health and family issues during this pandemic so is unfair as well. I think the best way to move forward is just pick the method that is as fair as possible and I personally believe that method is just teacher given grades :smile:

Then make the mini exams optional for those that want and/or need them. CAGs have been proven to be biased and not all private candidates will be able to get a CAG. So the fairest option would be externally marked optional exams.
Original post by Imane888
I've done home mocks too.

Then make the mini exams optional for those that want and/or need them. CAGs have been proven to be biased and not all private candidates will be able to get a CAG. So the fairest option would be externally marked optional exams.

yeah i agree, although there will be huge grade inflation, its the best option. in terms of family issues and mental health, tbh its only 3 months we missed and 2 months if u include holidays. u can catch up if u do enough revision. i personally have done no work whatsoever in the lockdown, yet still i think the fairest method is mini exams
Original post by dani_05

you say that thats not fair, but in the end of the day if the gcse would have still happened, it doesnt matter what happens outside school hours - whatever happens at home will not affect the grade. u say that it is not fair. i personally have ADHD which meant that it is super hard to consentrate, and i have done literally no work, yet i do acknowladge that it is better for a small minority to suffer than a huge amount of people. Also this is how life is and its preparing u for what is to come - in life sometimes there are changes and a lot of the times its not in ur favour yet u still have to work with that. in the future do u think your uni / boss would care about what u did at home? i dont think so and people should learn how to do independant study - its a good skill to learn
Original post by dani_05
Hi @hhhhheeeee, well hopefully you get what you want. Good luck! :smile:

thank you! you too

No the mini exams are not mandatory but annoying that they won't be externally marked.
Original post by dani_05
Hi @Imane888, yeah, I guess we should wait until the 22nd February to see what the government says before confirming anything. I agree that mini exams should be optional but I wonder if they're going to make it optional on a whole school level rather than a student level e.g. schools get to decide whether to make students do mini-exams instead of students themselves

hahaha not 22nd feb I guess they promised the date and didn't deliver - what a surprise. no news today at all, the board has messed up once again (probs don't even have a plan) and now we may get them on thursday...
Original post by Imane888
I think that it should be student level.

Same I really hope so.
You need to see gcse confusion .co .uk
i hope they do mini exams maynnn i did so bad in my mocks and did not pass any i am sooo scared because i want to go to sixth form??
Check the website it has info on mini exams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending