Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    lo all,
    I just got a cool pen that flashes when the radiation from a mobile phone is detected.
    Even when idle, my phone makes the pen flash for about 10 seconds every minute! The pen even flashes if my phone is idle in the next room. I think maybe i'll switch my phone off at night from now on..

Does this mean that paranoia about setting your phone next to "private parts" or your abdomen (near organs) is pointless as it really doesent make a difference whether you're holding the phone far away from you or right beside you?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of radiation? Radiowaves or EMF or what?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not atall sure how it works, tried googling but I just find annoying mobile phone websites. I'll keep searching though.

ReputationRep:
    Phones are microwaves aren they?

I never understood why they cause damage. They are relitevely low frequancy, and little quantum theory would show that a wavelenght of around 10cm will not cause alot of damage. Can anyone explain this?

ReputationRep:
    They just pick up electronic interference from your phone, that's all. It flashes every couple of minutes because it's checking for messages... I think. It's the same as if you sit your phone near a speaker and it makes noises. Makes my computer monitor flicker too, because it's ancient and isn't protected from interference.

It's not actual radiation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    Phones are microwaves aren they?

I never understood why they cause damage. They are relitevely low frequancy, and little quantum theory would show that a wavelenght of around 10cm will not cause alot of damage. Can anyone explain this?
    It's still being debated whether phones really do cause damage or not.

Or are you just talking about microwaves in general? Because I thought microwaves were high frequency, small wavelength... much smaller than 10cm anyway.

ReputationRep:
    slightly scarey

ReputationRep:
    Nah EM spectrum goes, Radio - Micro - IR - Visable - UV - Xray - Gamma
    Radio being the largest wavelenth. Micro are between 1-20cm.

Maybe its a very high intensity which increases the rate of the small amount of ionisation? hmm...
    got me thinking now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Does this mean that paranoia about setting your phone next to "private parts" or your abdomen (near organs) is pointless
    i wouldn't say it's pointless, there's a good possibility mobile phones can be doing some sort of damage. recent studies all seem to be pointing to that was as well.

the most recent one in stockholm (i think) found that long term users of mobile phones were 4 times as likely to develop growths on the side they held the phone, and twice as likely as non-users to develop these benign non-cancerous growths. :eek:

not enough statistical evidence to provide a definite link though..

ReputationRep:
    are you sure that the pen is working properly/ v.accurate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Does this mean that paranoia about setting your phone next to "private parts"
    There's paranoia about that? If it really can do damage - then what's the vibrate function for???

ReputationRep:
    your experiment with the pen doesn't seem very reliable. if the pen flicks with the phone in the other room, perhaps it's just picking up background radiation?

ReputationRep:
    are you sure its not just a scam and the pen has been set off to flash every minute?

ReputationRep:
    :eek: i thought phone radiation only happened during calls?? ooook... i'm not charging my phone by my bed as from 2nite!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    I'm not atall sure how it works, tried googling but I just find annoying mobile phone websites. I'll keep searching though.
    Those pens do not detect damaging radiation...they simply pick up signals that are going to and from your phone and the network. These are not dangerous. The pens are designed to flash when your phone rings I think...it's just a novelty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    are you sure its not just a scam and the pen has been set off to flash every minute?
    hehe good point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caffecooki)
    :eek: i thought phone radiation only happened during calls?? ooook... i'm not charging my phone by my bed as from 2nite!!
    best thing to do if you're worried about it is when you start a call.. for the few seconds after you press call and before the ring starts, keep the phone away from your head, some people put it straight to their ear but that's when the largest amount happens. apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    best thing to do if you're worried about it is when you start a call.. for the few seconds after you press call and before the ring starts, keep the phone away from your head, some people put it straight to their ear but that's when the largest amount happens. apparently.
    Aren't phones much better these days, as most of them don't have an aerial so it's a less-damaging type of signal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    thanx ill remember that!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    Aren't phones much better these days, as most of them don't have an aerial so it's a less-damaging type of signal?
    uhh.. yeah that's right I think
    we did an experiment in physics, some new phones didnt even register on the meter (real exciting experiment) but the teacher said 5 years ago it was a lot more interesting.
    presumably older ones actually did something :s

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.