How to cope with my mum who has become mentally ill

Watch
User__1111111
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My mum recently became very suspicious and hallucinating often. She keeps accusing me for doing things I haven't done and she kicked my dad out for "cheating". I don't know what to do. It is a genetic thing since her brother has the same condition however his was since he was a teenager. I'm 16 btw.
Last edited by User__1111111; 1 week ago
learningizk00l
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
uhhh get her to see a doctor??!!!
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by User__1111111)
My mum recently became very suspicious and hallucinating often. She keeps accusing me for doing things I haven't done and she kicked my dad out for
How old are you?
Gtheactor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello, I’m so sorry she’s unwell. To me it sounds like schizophrenia? I recommend maybe calling a GP on her behalf, as often people with schizophrenia find it very hard to recognise their abnormal behaviour. Or speak to another loved one about the issue.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
This hits really close to mum, I've experienced almost the same thing with my mum when I was younger. Do you have any older relatives that you can talk to? Siblings, aunts/uncles, grandparents? Or perhaps family friends? Hang in there OP, I know how terrifying it can be
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This hits really close to mum, I've experienced almost the same thing with my mum when I was younger. Do you have any older relatives that you can talk to? Siblings, aunts/uncles, grandparents? Or perhaps family friends? Hang in there OP, I know how terrifying it can be
home oops, that was an awkward slip up
User__1111111
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gtheactor)
Hello, I’m so sorry she’s unwell. To me it sounds like schizophrenia? I recommend maybe calling a GP on her behalf, as often people with schizophrenia find it very hard to recognise their abnormal behaviour. Or speak to another loved one about the issue.
We took her to the GP and she has delirium which could last forever. Thanks so much. I want to talk to others about it but my mum is a very lowkey person, she hates when people know about her being ill. Even when she had a thyroid surgery years ago she didn't even tell her mum.
User__1111111
Rep:
?
home oops, that was an awkward slip up
Hahah. Thanks so much! You too. My mum wouldn't like it if I tell anyone though. She didn't tell anyone about her previous surgeries or anything bad happening to her. So even though she is ill I want to respect her. I spoke to my close friend about it though.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
We took her to the GP and she has delirium which could last forever. Thanks so much. I want to talk to others about it but my mum is a very lowkey person, she hates when people know about her being ill. Even when she had a thyroid surgery years ago she didn't even tell her mum.
Delirium shouldn't last forever...
User__1111111
Rep:
?
Delirium shouldn't last forever...
I'm scared it could lead to dementia. Because its very likely to happen. But I'm praying for the best.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I'm scared it could lead to dementia. Because its very likely to happen. But I'm praying for the best.
delirium doesn't cause dementia.I hope your mum gets better soon.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My mum recently became very suspicious and hallucinating often. She keeps accusing me for doing things I haven't done and she kicked my dad out for "cheating". I don't know what to do. It is a genetic thing since her brother has the same condition however his was since he was a teenager. I'm 16 btw.
I think that it would help you a lot to turn to Childline for support with this. It's a lot to cope with for someone of any age, but especially so for someone who is only 16.

You can 'phone and e-mail and do an online chat with a counsellor as well. I think that this would help you, as you need ongoing support with this. Here you go - get in touch with them today.

https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/
Gtheactor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Bless her, I’m so sorry that sounds so tough. I totally understand where you’re coming from, but it may benefit you to talk to someone about it? Not even just for her sake, but for yours as well.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Hahah. Thanks so much! You too. My mum wouldn't like it if I tell anyone though. She didn't tell anyone about her previous surgeries or anything bad happening to her. So even though she is ill I want to respect her. I spoke to my close friend about it though.
I'm glad that you're able to talk to a close friend at least. I'm also really glad that she's gone to the GP, that can often be half of the issue. Hopefully they'll be monitoring her condition now. Make sure you look after yourself. It's definitely a good idea to try and get some support since it's a very stressful situation. Counselling might be a good idea if you feel overwhelmed and need someone else to talk to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (646)
48.46%
No (687)
51.54%

Watched Threads