LilClive
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am on track to get a 2:2 in my undergraduate degree but have also been excepted to do a postgraduate degree after but is this an actual good grade? It says you just need 2:2 or higher to do a Masters Degree but I'm honestly not sure if it is good, is it equal to a C and is it an average grade or below average?Thanks, I'm quite disappointed as I did try my hardest
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LilClive)
I am on track to get a 2:2 in my undergraduate degree but have also been excepted to do a postgraduate degree after but is this an actual good grade? It says you just need 2:2 or higher to do a Masters Degree but I'm honestly not sure if it is good, is it equal to a C and is it an average grade or below average?Thanks, I'm quite disappointed as I did try my hardest
If the subject/university is highly competitive, then you may have less chance with a 2:2, as the minimum entry requirement could be a 2:1. However, that doesn't mean you won't have any chance at all, especially with universities who specify that they will accept people with a 2:2. A 2:2 is the central passing classification of 5 (1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, pass) but is slightly below average as more and more people achieve at least a 2:1.

Which subjects/universities did you have in mind?
mike23mike
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A 2.2 is good enough to get you into a masters, don't sweat it.
King_George_Weah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
A 2.2 is good enough to get you into a masters, don't sweat it.
Depends on the masters programme to be honest. At the most competitive universities and courses? Probably not.
King_George_Weah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It really depends on the programme and where you are applying to. If the minimum requirements are a 2:1 and you can't fulfil that, then it's highly unlikely. The best thing to do would be to research which universities might accept you and perhaps write to admissions tutors/course directors and ask them directly if a 2:2 would preclude you from entry. If you have mitigating circumstances as to why you're going to get a 2:2 then you should mention those to your current university/tutor(s). What are you studying at the moment and where?

There are plenty of places that can accept you with a 2:2 but without wishing to sound like I'm denigrating other institutions, they may well not be the "top universities" i.e. Oxbridge, Russell Groups, St Andrews, places like the LSHTM (if you were keen on healthcare). What I'm saying isn't gospel though, only tutors/course directors can give you and exact answer. Good luck.

P.S. If you can push yourself to get a 2:1 do all you can to do so. It will be worth it in the end. Even if you don't it really isn't the end of the world and there will always be opportunities for you if you're determined enough.
Bumble18
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well done for being on track to even finish uni! Don’t be disappointed, a 2:2 is an achievement you should be proud of!
alexr19i8
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
2:2 is lower than the expected grade of 2:1, which is usually used as a benchmark for most master's degree courses and graduate jobs. Tbh I don't think I have seen any master's degree that accepts 2:2, that being said it all does depend on course and university. But if you're hoping to get into those top ranking universities they won't accept a 2:2, with the coming months just get down to business and work hard
King_George_Weah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by alexr19i8)
2:2 is lower than the expected grade of 2:1, which is usually used as a benchmark for most master's degree courses and graduate jobs. Tbh I don't think I have seen any master's degree that accepts 2:2, that being said it all does depend on course and university. But if you're hoping to get into those top ranking universities they won't accept a 2:2, with the coming months just get down to business and work hard
MBA programmes might but even then to compensate for a 2:2 you'd need a large amount of high level work experience and an exceptional CV in other areas. The more "vocational" masters programmes might and as I said this will require a lot of research as in reality I don't think any of us can say for certain the exact entry requirements for most universities.

A 2:1 isn't just for competitive reasons it is as you said an academic benchmark. People seem to think masters at the top universities are just cash cows but they are still a step up in terms of academic work and assume you have a solid foundation and the academic skills and rigour to tackle a master's programme and possibly go onto a PhD. Indeed finance related Masters like an MBA (at the top schools), MFin etc. are very rigorous. I did a Master's at both Oxford and Cambridge with a 2:1 (and on the "low end" of a high 2:1) but these days the going rate really is a 1st for most Masters programmes at Oxford and Cambridge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.97%
Virtual campus tours/open days (111)
23.22%
Live streaming events (44)
9.21%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.62%
A uni comparison tool (108)
22.59%
An in-person event when available (107)
22.38%