What does a college time table look like?

Watch
Reginald2004
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I'm going to college in September to study physics, chemistry and politics. I'd like to know would I be there all day like you are in high school, and do you always start first thing in the morning? Do you go into college everyday, and how often do you finish early? If you study three A levels let me know.
Simiesther
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It’s different for every college. I go to a sixth from and I have things called private study which is an hour to do any piece of work in silence and also we have frees which is an hour to do whatever u want. I finish early almost every single day. No one can really give u a good answer unless they go to ur college!!
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Well in my case it's often an email apologising for the lack of a formal timetable and advising students to cluster round a limited number of map screens in a somewhat Hobbesian manner and hope for the best.

At a guess I'd expect you to be in 3.5 days a week, full days may be rare, they might not, MOST days will likely be early starts, (Less so in Uni i found)

I'm up in Scotland, and the SQA/SAAS cracked down a few years ago on lecturers letting students away early, dunno how it ended up but it annoyed a lot of people on both sides.
Last edited by StriderHort; 7 months ago
hiddeninabook
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm currently a year 13 student doing maths, chem and bio (although I also took fm in year 12 but had to drop due to personal reasons). It really depends on your college and if they require you to stick around all day or give you free range to come and go whenever you want. For example my college is huge (1000 students per year as it is a dedicated sixth-form college) and we can come and go as we please. The library is open from 8-5pm if you want a silent study place but you are not required to study in there if you don't want to and I have many friends who prefer to spend free periods in town or in a park that is a 5 minute walk from college (obviously this was pre-covid). We all have lanyards and the college has a security team to prevent intruders but other than that, as long as you show up to lessons, they don't care (all our attendance is taken at the start of lessons).
Alternatively (and I think this is more true of private or smaller sixth forms attached to a secondary school) you may have scheduled and compulsory study periods and have to be in college from 8:30-3 as per a normal school day. A couple of friends at private school have confirmed this.

My timetable consists of 4 hours of lessons per subject per week (4 1 hour lessons) and a single 1 hour lesson for tutorial. There are 6 periods of lessons per day and a "free" is just anytime you don't have a lesson - there are no requirements for how you spend them. They also have put 4 suggested "study periods" on my timetable but I don't pay any attention to them. The time I arrive at college and leave each day completely depends on my timetable eg. on Wednesday's I only have biology first period so get the bus in, go to bio, then get the bus home at 10. It also happens that, if I wanted, I could leave college during the day then come back eg. if I had first and last but nothing in between.

Obviously your experience will be different to mine, unless by some strange coincidence you are going to the same college as me, but hopefully this helps a little The best way to find out is to contact your college or people you know who are currently there and ask what it will be like in your specific scenario
Last edited by hiddeninabook; 7 months ago
FatYikes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi there! I'm in year 13 and studying biology, chemistry and music. I go to a sixth form that is attached to a secondary school (roughly 400 students) though I started sixth form at a smaller private school which only had about 30-40 students in my year group. Pre covid, my timetable consisted of 9 hours of lessons per subject per fortnight. My college also had supervised study sessions (roughly 8 hours a week) where we were required to be registered in and study in silence. This left me with 3 free periods per week, which were all thankfully at the end of the day, therefore I would be able to come home at about 2:10pm 3 days a week. The other days I was in from about 8:30- 3:15 all day. I believe my college is on the stricter side though.

At the private school, we had a similar amount of taught time per fortnight. We were expected to stay at school for the rest of the time and study (8:30-3:45 ish) , however it was much less strict than my current college as we were allowed to pop to the shops, chat with friends etc in the common room area during this time. I was also forced to do PE at this school which I was not a fan of!

I believe both of these experiences were quite strict though. I have many friends who are only required on site for the lesson times and free to leave or do as they wish in free periods, however this is not necessarily wise. It really depends on the college you go to. hope this helps a bit :P
Reginald2004
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Thanks for all the responses guys they have helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise