The Student Room Group

Equilibrium a level chemistry question (ocr)

Could someone check my answers, please?

(a) If you decrease the temperature, the equilibrium shifts to the right because the forward reaction is exothermic. This means more CH3OH is formed. There are 3 moles of gas on the left and 1 mole of gas on the right. So an increase in pressure would shift the equilibrium to the right - high yield of product formed.

(b) 1. using catalyst means that lower temperatures and pressures can be used which is cheaper
2. reduces wasteScreenshot 2021-02-17 at 13.40.26.png
a) This is all correct, but you would probably have to explicitly state that the optimal conditions would be a high pressure and low temperature.
b) Remember that a catalyst only increases the rate of reaction. It doesn't affect the position of equilibrium because it increases both the rate of the forward reaction and backward reaction. Higher temperatures and pressures result in higher rates of reaction, so using a catalyst would enable the companies to use lower temperatures and pressures. Using a catalyst would not reduce the waste produced or change the yield of the products.
Original post by Tammie2345524
a) This is all correct, but you would probably have to explicitly state that the optimal conditions would be a high pressure and low temperature.
b) Remember that a catalyst only increases the rate of reaction. It doesn't affect the position of equilibrium because it increases both the rate of the forward reaction and backward reaction. Higher temperatures and pressures result in higher rates of reaction, so using a catalyst would enable the companies to use lower temperatures and pressures. Using a catalyst would not reduce the waste produced or change the yield of the products.

so if I have one point being that using high temp and pressure increases rates of reaction so using catalyst means companies use lower temperatures and pressures, what would another point be? Could I say that catalysts are recycled, they're not used up.
Original post by dnejfn
so if I have one point being that using high temp and pressure increases rates of reaction so using catalyst means companies use lower temperatures and pressures, what would another point be? Could I say that catalysts are recycled, they're not used up.

Yes, that's definitely another advantage of using a catalyst.

Quick Reply

Latest