ellie wiliams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hello I Want to Study with the Open University but i am being told i would have to apply for a maintenance loan. I currently receive Universal credits as i am a career for a disabled child who is unwell and isn't well enough to be in school. it is just me and my daughter living at home and both of us have invisible illnesses. Is there a way that i can still study at the Open University without having to take the maintenance loan as it will effect the finances of the home which in turn will make things a lot more stressful and its hard enough. it seems frustrating that the maintenance loan is forced when it would make me worse off from what i can see. Any help much appreciated.kind regardsellie
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ellie wiliams)
Hello I Want to Study with the Open University but i am being told i would have to apply for a maintenance loan. I currently receive Universal credits as i am a career for a disabled child who is unwell and isn't well enough to be in school. it is just me and my daughter living at home and both of us have invisible illnesses. Is there a way that i can still study at the Open University without having to take the maintenance loan as it will effect the finances of the home which in turn will make things a lot more stressful and its hard enough. it seems frustrating that the maintenance loan is forced when it would make me worse off from what i can see. Any help much appreciated.kind regardsellie
Hi Ellie, Open University applicants are not eligible to apply for the Maintenance Loan unless the applicant has a disability that prevents them from attending a physical university.
Thanks, Isaac
ellie wiliams
Rep:
?
Hi Isaac.I do have a Disability that could be considered as me being eligible for the maintenance loan but the reason for me studying with wanting to study with the OU is I am a career for my disabled daughter who isn't well enough to attend school and studying with them means I can be flexible to the circumstances at home. Far more so than if I was on campus. Which for me would be impossible because of my daughters care needs at present. Would I be forced to take the maintenance loan. Many thanksEllie
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi Isaac.I do have a Disability that could be considered as me being eligible for the maintenance loan but the reason for me studying with wanting to study with the OU is I am a career for my disabled daughter who isn't well enough to attend school and studying with them means I can be flexible to the circumstances at home. Far more so than if I was on campus. Which for me would be impossible because of my daughters care needs at present. Would I be forced to take the maintenance loan. Many thanksEllie
You are not forced to apply for the Maintenance Loan.
Open University applicants are automatically not eligible for this loan unless they specifically apply for it and send proof of their disability.
Thanks, Isaac
ellie wiliams
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
You are not forced to apply for the Maintenance Loan.
Open University applicants are automatically not eligible for this loan unless they specifically apply for it and send proof of their disability.
Thank you Isaac.
When I phoned student finance about this earlier in the week they told me I would be expected to apply for it and I don't want to have to as any financial changes to the household can have negative effects on health, stress and anxiety. Its a bit of a fine balancing act
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thank you Isaac.
When I phoned student finance about this earlier in the week they told me I would be expected to apply for it and I don't want to have to as any financial changes to the household can have negative effects on health, stress and anxiety. Its a bit of a fine balancing act
You're welcome You are not expected to apply for it at all.
Thanks, Isaac
ellie wiliams
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
You're welcome You are not expected to apply for it at all.
Thanks, Isaac
Thank you. Hopefully Universal Credit won't expect me to apply for it either .
Will I still be able to apply for DSA?

Many thanks ellie
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thank you. Hopefully Universal Credit won't expect me to apply for it either .
Will I still be able to apply for DSA?

Many thanks ellie
I am unsure about Universal Credit.

You can apply for the DSA http://ow.ly/vqIu30oSeQj if you meet the eligibility criteria listed on this page.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
14.55%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
14.55%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
10.91%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
38.18%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
18.18%

Watched Threads