The Student Room Group

A Levels 2022 debate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurawatt
I’m sorry, but if you don’t ask for support then how do you expect to get support? The individual teachers might not even have known you were sitting the autumn exams :smile:

True I didn't personally resist but that’s what I heard from other people. I do feel a certain degree of empathy towards the current year 11 but teachers are more prepared for online lessons now than last year and there is more information about how grades will be awarded.
Original post by TheFlash_
How can the teachers asses if they ain’t there 🤨

So you didn't have teachers at all. Subs usually leave a report for the teacher to read when they return.
Reply 62
Original post by Muttley79
Plenty of people did it ... school was face-to-face at that time too ... the OP is making excuses.

excuse me pls dont say im making excuses when you dont know my whole story.
I did IGCSE in another country and i came back to the UK for alevels and i was in the uk before my IGCSE results were out. When i got them i was unhappy so i tried contacting loads of CAMBRIDGE RECOGNISED SCHOOLS (schools that did myexam board) and asked them for a resit and they all said 'sorry no cus of covid' and i had to miss sitting in november and now i tried again for may/june exams BUT cus of lockdown and uncertainty if schools were gonna open and they all said no. I HAVE TRIED SOO HARD AND WAS EVEN WILLING TO TRAVEL 150+ miles to go sit them but no school took me. So you saying im making excuses is actually very hurtful.
Original post by vickymads
excuse me pls dont say im making excuses when you dont know my whole story.

There were plenty of schools offering resits - any school can offer them :smile:

You could have sat GCSEs anyway for key subjects if you are really concerned. Grades were inflated not depressed.
Reply 64
There were plenty of schools offering resits - any school can offer them :smile:

You could have sat GCSEs anyway for key subjects if you are really concerned. Grades were inflated not depressed.

Really dont think thats how it works but cool :smile:
IGCSE AND GCSE (although have the same content more or less) they do have their differences. For example- english i did completely separate poems and books so it wouldnt work out. GCSE maths has more content than IGCSE. It just wouldnt work out and i dont think its encourged anyways.

My grades were depressed and i couldn't even appeal due to them being CAGs. Some of my teachers downgraded me on purpose and it showed.
Reply 65
Original post by jxsoph
Only Oxbridge care about your GCSEs...
And if you were oxbridge material your predicted grades will be good enough to get in.

Some subjects e.g. Economics might require grade 7 in Mathematics, but again, if you are competent enough in Maths to do a economics degree you should do it for A-Level and at the very least get a 7 at GCSE.

In general as long as you get above a 4 in English and Maths universities aren't bothered. The emphasis teachers place on GCSEs is way overblown so that you don't piss about and fail, they really aren't all that important.

Wait Oxbridge cares about your GCSEs?? No way
Original post by vickymads
No no your year is having top most priority comapred to us . Trust me! Last year we had none of this... we all thought final exams were gonna happen and this lockdown thing was just for 2/3 weeks but then it became serious and its safe to say we (yr11s and 13s) were forgotten about at the start of lockdown and had no notice about our education until a month before our results were supposed to come out. And we didnt even have a chance to prove oursleves ... And you year 10s last year were watching all of this happen and we were screaming that mocks do matter and stuff. So you had notice as in anything could happen so it's better to just keep working and revising. but some of you gcse students took that warning lightly and are complaining all over social media.

And you dont even know how many subjects ive been downgraded in. For example Im a A/B students in biology but i was given a C and even after CAGs i was still put with a C (ive gotten a C ONCE in the whole 2 years) and my biology teacher and i didnt have a great relationship so obvs impression you give the teachers played a part there. If you think that its still not what your teachers think of you then another example im a D student in physics i was never the top student in physics always getting Ds and occasional Cs and i had a great relationship with my physics teacher and i was certain i was gonna get a D on results day but she passed me ... SHE GAVE ME A C when 19/80 on mocks which is like an E. So thats a clear example right there.

There's no cohort that have had it better out the 2020&2021 cohort both have had it bad. Also teachers who massively over or under predicted grades should bow there heads in shame.
Original post by Imane888
There's no cohort that have had it better out the 2020&2021 cohort both have had it bad. Also teachers who massively over or under predicted grades should bow there heads in shame.

*their not there
Reply 68
Original post by AbduGT
Wait Oxbridge cares about your GCSEs?? No way

Not the point I was making, small brain.
Why didn't you sit them in November then?

People didn't want to sit them in November as that would have distracted them from the new content they were learning. My school even stated on a letter that they didn't recommend it. Our gcses were already messed around enough, so people wanted to fully focus on learning the content for exams we are actually going to sit.
Plenty of people did it ... school was face-to-face at that time too ... the OP is making excuses.

Agree with you here. I resat 2 GCSE's in November, alongside 4 A levels. At no point did I get help from my old school, and I improved both my grades. It was 100% possible to sit Autumn exams and do well, it's excuses.
Reply 71
Original post by Imane888

Agreed. Both cohorts are facing difficulties atm (I’m a current yr12 btw) and on platforms like this we should be supporting each other not having petty arguments over “who’s had it worse”. I also agree about those teachers - while I know that nothing was a disaster w my GCSEs, being marked lower than I was working at all year in a few subjects was rly frustrating :frown:

Re autumn exams, I cba to find the comment which first brought this up, I don’t think it’s fair to be bashing students who couldn’t/decided against taking them. For some people it would feel like a massive disruption to the start of A levels and it’s expensive. Everyone’s situation is different - please show some empathy for those who have struggled as a result of how the exams were handled.
Delete #72 and 73 please then I'll delete this one

Ok
Original post by ThoughtsOfSpring
Agreed. Both cohorts are facing difficulties atm (I’m a current yr12 btw) and on platforms like this we should be supporting each other not having petty arguments over “who’s had it worse”. I also agree about those teachers - while I know that nothing was a disaster w my GCSEs, being marked lower than I was working at all year in a few subjects was rly frustrating :frown:

Re autumn exams, I cba to find the comment which first brought this up, I don’t think it’s fair to be bashing students who couldn’t/decided against taking them. For some people it would feel like a massive disruption to the start of A levels and it’s expensive. Everyone’s situation is different - please show some empathy for those who have struggled as a result of how the exams were handled.

The autumn exams were not technically resits - did schools charge? We didn't for our own students.
The one on one meetings was a suggestion made by the exam board OCR as a way of ensuring pupils feel they get a fair grade beforehand and avoids a avalanche of appeals from pupils. However this is certainly not definite at this stage and we won't know for certain what the decision will be until next week.

What i will say is that 2020 grades were still significantly inflated above previous years so if anything the people who were disadvantaged are the people who sat exams properly in non covid years. It is not clear at this stage whether 2021 grades will be inline with 2020 grades but the key difference is 2021 are still working through the lockdowns and are in and out of school whereas the 2020 finished nearly 3months early and stopped working. The way it has worked for the 2021 cohort is different people have been disproportionately affected whereas last year they all where in the same position. It is because of this that 2021 must have a different grading approach.
Reply 75
The autumn exams were not technically resits - did schools charge? We didn't for our own students

At my school, they told us very strongly not to do the autumn exams and didn't actually run them at all which was disappointing for some people who wanted to retake. I didn't actually want to sit the autumn exams so I wasn't directly impacted by that decision but I felt really bad for all the students that were.
In terms of the cost, I originally thought that the school had to pay (I thought that was one of the reasons my school was suddenly SO against the autumn exams) but then again I keep hearing stories of people having to pay and it all being really difficult to find a place to sit the exams so I think the whole thing was a bit of a mess unfortunately.
At my school, they told us very strongly not to do the autumn exams and didn't actually run them at all which was disappointing for some people who wanted to retake. I didn't actually want to sit the autumn exams so I wasn't directly impacted by that decision but I felt really bad for all the students that were.
In terms of the cost, I originally thought that the school had to pay (I thought that was one of the reasons my school was suddenly SO against the autumn exams) but then again I keep hearing stories of people having to pay and it all being really difficult to find a place to sit the exams so I think the whole thing was a bit of a mess unfortunately.

The school [if a state school] could NOT refuse to enter people so I wonder why these students/their parents did not insist? We didn't have many wanting a go [and none improved their grade actually] but I think some schools just gave excuses.
Reply 77
Original post by billybob234
The one on one meetings was a suggestion made by the exam board OCR as a way of ensuring pupils feel they get a fair grade beforehand and avoids a avalanche of appeals from pupils. However this is certainly not definite at this stage and we won't know for certain what the decision will be until next week.

What i will say is that 2020 grades were still significantly inflated above previous years so if anything the people who were disadvantaged are the people who sat exams properly in non covid years. It is not clear at this stage whether 2021 grades will be inline with 2020 grades but the key difference is 2021 are still working through the lockdowns and are in and out of school whereas the 2020 finished nearly 3months early and stopped working. The way it has worked for the 2021 cohort is different people have been disproportionately affected whereas last year they all where in the same position. It is because of this that 2021 must have a different grading approach.

While the grades were inflated overall, I know there were so many individuals who were unfairly downgraded (at both GCSE and A level) so not everyone in the 2020 cohort were in the same position. Also, I could be wrong here, but surely it makes a lot of sense that the averages were higher in 2020? Each year when people actually sit the exams, there are some who have a terrible day / are ill and let's say, get a 3 instead of the 9 they would have got on a normal day, bringing down the average. But it wouldn't be fair at all to pick a student who is capable of a 9 and give them a CAG of a 3 because obviously it's pretty random who's suddenly going to get the flu in the exam period. Hopefully that made sense and I'm happy to be corrected if what i said is incorrect in some way!
Anyway, all I hope is that they award your cohort fair grades that reflect your abilities - I really don't want you guys to have to go through the same stress/uncertainty as we did!
Reply 78
The school [if a state school] could NOT refuse to enter people so I wonder why these students/their parents did not insist? We didn't have many wanting a go [and none improved their grade actually] but I think some schools just gave excuses.

It's not a state school so I think that must be why. I agree that it was pretty much just an excuse from the school :frown:
I think maybe some students had second thoughts after the school told them not to take the exams and just decided to focus on their sixth form studies.
It's not a state school so I think that must be why. I agree that it was pretty much just an excuse from the school :frown:
I think maybe some students had second thoughts after the school told them not to take the exams and just decided to focus on their sixth form studies.

That's even worse tbh - you are paying for this education! Your parents should have written and complained ... disgusting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending