What would you like to see in the announcements about assessment this summer?

Watch
Poll: What would you like to see in the announcements about assessment this summer?
A series of mini tests only (117)
13.9%
Grades on coursework only (124)
14.73%
A balance of tests and coursework (183)
21.73%
A personalised approach (eg. tests are optional) (418)
49.64%
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Following a massive joint consultation between the Department of Education and Ofqual (in which heaps and heaps of students submitted feedback :adore:), we're all now waiting to hear what the final plans are going to be for assessment and grading for Year 11s and 13s this summer. We're anticipating some news next week.

Ahead of the announcement, we just wondered what are the sorts of things you're hoping you might see in the new plan? It'd be great to know where your thinking is. Also, knowing how your feeling will also helps us to know the kinds of things you might want some support with once the announcement is made.

I know this is a really weird time and it's been another difficult year so far. But please know we've got an amazing team of staff and volunteers here, and we'll all be working to ensure you have as much support as possible from this community as you navigate this year. We'll be sharing info here about the announcements as soon as we know anything.
Imane888
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Optional tests but external moderation (teachers having to justify the CAGs that they give via having to provide evidence). Also want these mini tests to be externally marked/moderated so that they can be used as evidence in the appeals process.
David3686
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Students get teacher grades in April. If we're not happy with our grades, then we should have the option to take A-Levels in May with results coming out during Mid to Late July. Also, I would like an effective appeals process so that we don't suffer the same fiasco last year's students went through.
Rodoshi S
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I believe having mini-tests should be taken but not all the time. Sometimes tests do not show our real potential and understanding of a topic. I believe classwork and attitude in class when learning is important too since it is an important asset when applying to a career.
For example, someone may work hard to achieve a certain grade and others may simply not but still get the desired grade.
At this time, most would cheat online, fair enough, teachers could make students re-sit the tests, but it would just take more time and some teachers won't even bother.
I believe right now, tests should be optional and teachers should pay more attention to the student's work during class and outside of class as well as their attitude and effort in lessons.
I respect everyone's opinions. (:
David3686
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rodoshi S)
I believe having mini-tests should be taken but not all the time. Sometimes tests do not show our real potential and understanding of a topic. I believe classwork and attitude in class when learning is important too since it is an important asset when applying to a career.
For example, someone may work hard to achieve a certain grade and others may simply not but still get the desired grade.
At this time, most would cheat online, fair enough, teachers could make students re-sit the tests, but it would just take more time and some teachers won't even bother.
I believe right now, tests should be optional and teachers should pay more attention to the student's work during class and outside of class as well as their attitude and effort in lessons.
I respect everyone's opinions.
I agree with the fact that there should be a substantial amount of evidence that teachers can use to give out predicted grades such as previous tests, work ethic, attitude, classwork, class tests etc. Also, teachers must pay more attention to work completed by students. However, what I prefer would be that teachers give out our predicted grades by Mid-April. A optional full exam series should be taken in May with results day being around Mid/End of July
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think the only solution, though by no means is it a perfect one, would be optional exams, chosen by the student themselves. I'd really like to see an early results day for TAGs though ideally.
David3686
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ashtolga23)
I think the only solution, though by no means is it a perfect one, would be optional exams, chosen by the student themselves. I'd really like to see an early results day for TAGs though ideally.
I agree. Ideally, I would like to see an early results day for TAGs too. When do you think results day would be based on your opinion?

Also if there are optional exams, will students who chose to stick with teacher predicted grades be able to enter their university of their choice at the time their grades become official, rather than waiting for results day for everyone. What do you think?
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by David3686)
I agree. Ideally, I would like to see an early results day for TAGs too. When do you think results day would be based on your opinion?

Also if there are optional exams, will students who chose to stick with teacher predicted grades be able to enter their university of their choice at the time their grades become official, rather than waiting for results day for everyone. What do you think?
I mean I would want April, but realistically maybe July? That would mean that we finish the school year (not my preference but it seems to be the government's). I probably don't know enough to say though.

Maybe it would be a case of provisional results early on, and then official results with everyone else. It would be so much easier without private candidates because I'd just say scrap the exams in that case lol. So difficult to say as it stands.
ninja24
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Optional exams, with teachers allowed to have meeting with their students to tell them what grades they'll get, maybe after the April holidays. This will be done with sufficient evidence. If the student isn't happy they can take the optional exams in May/June so that they can try and get higher grades. As well as an appeals process where the students can express their opinions if they feel like they've been graded unfairly. I also believe that year 10 and 12 should be at school before the current year 11 and 13 cohort as they actually have exams next year and we wouldn't want them to miss out on more content. As well as having an earlier results day than usual.
Mythology
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Personally, I'd really like to see grades based on coursework, end of topic tests, mock exams, and potentially any classwork/work that we have already done, with a much earlier results day. I think that the learning gap and disruption caused is far too large for any form of 'mini-exam', with the exception being if students can decide whether or not they choose to sit these 'mini-exams' or any form of further testing if they wish to improve their grade. I definitely think we should have options available to us, and I do not see how it will be fair if we do get forced to all sit mini-exams, especially since many feel very unsafe going into schools and colleges. Additionally, when schools and colleges do eventually return and it is safe to do so, I think there should be more of a focus on getting the current Year 10s and Year 12s in to help them catch up, whilst taking mental health into consideration as well.
Mythology
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ninja24)
Optional exams, with teachers allowed to have meeting with their students to tell them what grades they'll get, maybe after the April holidays. This will be done with sufficient evidence. If the student isn't happy they can take the optional exams in May/June so that they can try and get higher grades. As well as an appeals process where the students can express their opinions if they feel like they've been graded unfairly. I also believe that year 10 and 12 should be at school before the current year 11 and 13 cohort as they actually have exams next year and we wouldn't want them to miss out on more content. As well as having an earlier results day than usual.
I completely agree with this, especially on the current year 10 and year 12s with exams next year going in before year 11s and 13s to try and help to avoid a repeat of this next year.
veritycb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd really like some form of assessment (optional or not) as long as its done in person because I dont feel like we can really put any weight on grades achieved while at home. If we do have exams though they need to tell us early enough!
David3686
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ninja24)
I ultimately agree with you. Meetings with teachers and heads that give our results after April holidays. Optional exams should take place during May/June with results being issued start/mid July.

I believe that even with optional exams, results could be issued within 4-5 weeks as a lower number of students will be taking exams if they are optional which would mean results would come out earlier than usual.
Bestdude3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey guys im in year 11 what are you going to go for after year 11
starshine1155
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I haven't had my mocks yet, so I think we should do them when we come back, for evidence. Other than than we should have optional exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (468)
51.49%
No (441)
48.51%

Watched Threads