pokoloco123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hi! im currently in year 12 and id like to apply for a biomedical science degree in one of these universities. however, i'm lost on which id like to go to most, especially in considering the job prospects after graduation! would be appreciated if i had advice

i currently take Biology, Psychology and geography A-level and hope to become a clinical scientist (embryology) by using a biomed degree to apply for the STP in the NHS

if anyone has any questions about me which could help answer the thread, please ask
Last edited by pokoloco123; 3 months ago
miao8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by pokoloco123)
hi! im currently in year 12 and id like to apply for a biomedical science degree in one of these universities. however, i'm lost on which id like to go to most, especially in considering the job prospects after graduation! would be appreciated if i had advice

i currently take Biology, Psychology and geography A-level and hope to become a clinical scientist (embryology) by using a biomed degree to apply for the STP in the NHS

if anyone has any questions about me which could help answer the thread, please ask
I would look at the modules covered by each course. If your hoping to go into embryology see if that is covered in any of the modules. Also attend virtual open days or in life ones to get a feel and ask lots of questions. You've still got a while to decide anyways.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections

And you should also look at these courses at Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/...undergraduate/
Last edited by McGinger; 3 months ago
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by pokoloco123)

Hello there,

I studied Biomedical Science at Aston and have gone on to study medicine so I thought I'd try to help you out with this.

The Biomedical Science degree at Aston has a dual Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and Royal Society of Biology (RSB) accreditation which focuses on current clinical practice. It is designed to provide you with the necessary academic requirements to allow you to apply to become a registered Biomedical Scientist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) straight after graduation.
Job prospects are great for graduates, we're in the top 15 in the UK for graduate prospects ( Biological Sciences, Sunday Times, 2021). Graduates often work in health, pharmaceuticals, or as HCPC registered Biomedical Scientists within the NHS. Others choose careers in scientific writing, research or undertake further study including teaching qualifications, MSc, PhD or graduate entry medicine.

My experience in the degree was great, I got fantastic support from the staff throughout the course of my degree and during my final year project. I found the course material challenging and the learning opportunities plentiful.

The award-winning careers and placements team are also always on hand to help with CVs, placement jobs and graduate jobs. They're really good at what they do and are always on hand to help, with 89% of Aston students reporting that their career prospects have improved as a result of Aston's support.

I hope this has helped.

*Ethel
pokoloco123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Aston University)
Hello there,

I studied Biomedical Science at Aston and have gone on to study medicine so I thought I'd try to help you out with this.

The Biomedical Science degree at Aston has a dual Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and Royal Society of Biology (RSB) accreditation which focuses on current clinical practice. It is designed to provide you with the necessary academic requirements to allow you to apply to become a registered Biomedical Scientist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) straight after graduation.
Job prospects are great for graduates, we're in the top 15 in the UK for graduate prospects ( Biological Sciences, Sunday Times, 2021). Graduates often work in health, pharmaceuticals, or as HCPC registered Biomedical Scientists within the NHS. Others choose careers in scientific writing, research or undertake further study including teaching qualifications, MSc, PhD or graduate entry medicine.

My experience in the degree was great, I got fantastic support from the staff throughout the course of my degree and during my final year project. I found the course material challenging and the learning opportunities plentiful.

The award-winning careers and placements team are also always on hand to help with CVs, placement jobs and graduate jobs. They're really good at what they do and are always on hand to help, with 89% of Aston students reporting that their career prospects have improved as a result of Aston's support.

I hope this has helped.

*Ethel
hi! thanks for your response...
if I did not choose to become a biomedical scientist, is it still important to go to a university with IBMS accreditation in the degree to become a clinical scientist? I heard IBMS accreditation is only important if i wish to become a biomedical scientist

thank you in advance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (94)
27.89%
No (243)
72.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed