Turn on thread page Beta

Do retakes really look bad? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you resit an Alevel module how terrible does it look?

I've got a bio module on Monday that I am in no way prepared for. My teacher told me that even though I've just started the school (and switched syllabuses) he wanted me to take it, and to just treat it like a mock. I don't agree with this, but they won't let me withdraw so I'm sitting it. If i fail it, or get a lower grade that I'm predicted, will it really look bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharleeB)

I've got a bio module on monday, that i am in no way prepared for. My teacher told me that even though Ive just started the school (and switched syllabuses) he wanted me to take it, and to just treat it like a mock. I dont agree with this, but they wont let me withdraw so im sitting it. If i fail it, or get a lower grade that i'm predicted, will it really look bad?
    i dont think it says on any record or certificate about how many resits you took...nor have i ever seen a college/uni/employer asking about it.

the final grade on your certificate is all that matters and it doesnt matter how you get it or how long it takes

ReputationRep:

I've got a bio module on Monday that I am in no way prepared for. My teacher told me that even though I've just started the school (and switched syllabuses) he wanted me to take it, and to just treat it like a mock. I don't agree with this, but they won't let me withdraw so I'm sitting it. If i fail it, or get a lower grade that I'm predicted, will it really look bad?
    just do it in june its not so bad... just more pressure for june.... the unis or ny1 important(jobsetc) will never know

ReputationRep:
    No, it doesnt make any difference at all. You can retake a module as many times as you want in the two years, and nobody, bar Oxbridge, will care.
    You only look bad if you spend three years doing Alevels, and you havent got a good reason for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    You can retake a module as many times as you want in the two years, and nobody, bar Oxbridge, will care.
    Oxford won't care/know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Oxford won't care/know.

see that's what ive heard, but other people i know have gone into the interview and had it brought up. they must have some way of finding out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    No, it doesnt make any difference at all. You can retake a module as many times as you want in the two years, and nobody, bar Oxbridge, will care.
    You only look bad if you spend three years doing Alevels, and you havent got a good reason for it.
    Wrong; Cambridge since a couple of years ago began issuing Cambridge supplementary application forms to all applicants asking for everything about your AS levels including module results and your intention to retake any.
    I put down I was retaking 4 modules, but still got an offer (somehow!) so although they ask, the extent to which they care is negligable.

ReputationRep:
    When I did my A-levels, I bugger up one of the six exams which meant I got a B instead of A. I didn't retake it though because I thought that would look worse.

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt matter if you have to re-sit ur AS levels as they dont notice, its when you have to retake all of that subject that they notice

but only the big universitys care if your applying for a degree thats hard to get into as it becomes one of the things they use to filter out people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemaz101)
    It doesnt matter if you have to re-sit ur AS levels as they dont notice, its when you have to retake all of that subject that they notice

but only the big universitys care if your applying for a degree thats hard to get into as it becomes one of the things they use to filter out people

ah no! im going to apply to medicine!!!!!!!!

do you think that the fact that ive just switched schools will count at all?

ReputationRep:
    ah no! im going to apply to medicine!!!!!!!!

do you think that the fact that ive just switched schools will count at all?
    Weren't you the one who did your GCSEs a year early, which would mean you're also doing A-levels a year early? In that case they definitely shouldn't care if you had to resit once or twice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasonPaver)
    Wrong; Cambridge since a couple of years ago began issuing Cambridge supplementary application forms to all applicants asking for everything about your AS levels including module results and your intention to retake any.
    I put down I was retaking 4 modules, but still got an offer (somehow!) so although they ask, the extent to which they care is negligable.

i resat a german module,and applied for german. cambridge knew, but they didn't ask, and didn't care. my flatmate got a C in her AS english, but resat and ended up with an A at a2...and she's at cambridge too.

basically the uni's will know if you're resitting because you didn't bother to do any work at all first time round, or whether you did work but had a bad day/there was a problem with the paper etc. if it's the latter they usually don't care. the important thing is you are making a concious decision to get a better grade which you KNOW you are capable of doing, and unis recognise this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Weren't you the one who did your GCSEs a year early, which would mean you're also doing A-levels a year early? In that case they definitely shouldn't care if you had to resit once or twice!
    thats me are you sure?

ReputationRep:
    you get to chose your best mark though dont you? so it's worth a try anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i wish i wasnt taking the stupid exam, there is loads of extra stuff on the OCR syllabus that i just havent done!

hey u gt in2cambridge. welldone wot kind of AS A2 grades did u get? did u ave a massive portfolio. like wot xtra tings helped u get in

(Original post by priya)
    i resat a german module,and applied for german. cambridge knew, but they didn't ask, and didn't care. my flatmate got a C in her AS english, but resat and ended up with an A at a2...and she's at cambridge too.

basically the uni's will know if you're resitting because you didn't bother to do any work at all first time round, or whether you did work but had a bad day/there was a problem with the paper etc. if it's the latter they usually don't care. the important thing is you are making a concious decision to get a better grade which you KNOW you are capable of doing, and unis recognise this

ReputationRep:
    Hey Im applying for medicine and am retaking units. I changed schools in the middle of the course and effectively had to retake my AS year as the OCR Im now doing was so different. Im basically now in my 3rd alevel year cos of this but have had interviews and stuff for med so a change of schools and syllabus are valid explanations for resits. What unit are you sitting on monday?

ReputationRep:
    thats me are you sure?
    Well, I'm not an examiner or anything, but doing A-levels a year early is pretty damn impressive! Lots of people taking A-levels at the usual age resit at least one module, so resitting one when you're taking them early, as well as having the disruption of moving schools, shouldn't matter at all. I'm sure you'll be fine in the exam though- best of luck!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.