The Student Room Group

Civil Service Apprenticeships.

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 based up North and considering my post Sixth Form options. I've seen the Civil Service do lots of apprenticeships, I'm not too keen on the idea of university so they appeal to me!
I've seen lots of threads about the fast stream scheme but has anybody had any experience of the Fast track apprenticeship which you don't need a degree for? I'm interested in the law side of things, ( organised crime, international relations etc) I've seen lots of different apprenticeships but not sure which would suit me best! the fast track project delivery scheme looks interesting however I assume I wouldn't get much experience working abroad or dealing with criminal investigations etc?
any info / personal experiences of working within the Civil Service would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by George 203
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 based up North and considering my post Sixth Form options. I've seen the Civil Service do lots of apprenticeships, I'm not too keen on the idea of university so they appeal to me!
I've seen lots of threads about the fast stream scheme but has anybody had any experience of the Fast track apprenticeship which you don't need a degree for? I'm interested in the law side of things, ( organised crime, international relations etc) I've seen lots of different apprenticeships but not sure which would suit me best! the fast track project delivery scheme looks interesting however I assume I wouldn't get much experience working abroad or dealing with criminal investigations etc?
any info / personal experiences of working within the Civil Service would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

I am nearing the end of my apprenticeship in the civil service, as a business analyst. I would strongly recommend applying for one; you earn as you learn, whilst you make a lot of connections that will influence the direction of your career.

The civil service actively encourages learning and development, and you might join as a project manager, then later progress into your desired role (crime and investigation) a few years later. It is also worth noting that some roles span the whole of the civil service, like project delivery and business analysis, and you will end up working in your desired business area (crime and investigation).

Once you are in the civil service, a lot of opportunities open up. I have only been in for a year and I have gone on courses that cost a fortune.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jayderb
Hi,

I am nearing the end of my apprenticeship in the civil service, as a business analyst. I would strongly recommend applying for one; you earn as you learn, whilst you make a lot of connections that will influence the direction of your career.

The civil service actively encourages learning and development, and you might join as a project manager, then later progress into your desired role (crime and investigation) a few years later. It is also worth noting that some roles span the whole of the civil service, like project delivery and business analysis, and you will end up working in your desired business area (crime and investigation).

Once you are in the civil service, a lot of opportunities open up. I have only been in for a year and I have gone on courses that cost a fortune.

Thanks for the reply! What department do you work in / where? I’ve noticed quite a few departments are moving up North now so hopefully there’ll be more opportunities in future!
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply! What department do you work in / where? I’ve noticed quite a few departments are moving up North now so hopefully there’ll be more opportunities in future!

Hi,

I work in Digital Data and Analytics. I am based in Croydon.

You are right, there’s an intention to move jobs up North, but also the pandemic has changed the ways of working for many organisations. We now work most from home and this means that you can apply for a London based job, but still live up North.
Reply 4
Original post by Jayderb
Hi,

You are right, there’s an intention to move jobs up North, but also the pandemic has changed the ways of working for many organisations. We now work most from home and this means that you can apply for a London based job, but still live up North.

Sounds interesting,

As a fresh faced Sixth Former what do you think the chances are of getting into the Civil service so young? I've seen that they seem to appreciate life experience over qualifications! I've seen lots of AO roles / level 3 apprenticeships being advertised which seem most suited to me. ( I still have a year left of A-levels so am hoping there'll be roles available next year! )
Reply 5
Sounds interesting,

As a fresh faced Sixth Former what do you think the chances are of getting into the Civil service so young? I've seen that they seem to appreciate life experience over qualifications! I've seen lots of AO roles / level 3 apprenticeships being advertised which seem most suited to me. ( I still have a year left of A-levels so am hoping there'll be roles available next year! )

Age is not a factor.

My cohort has an 18 year old and I believe at 38, I am the oldest. I come from a dentistry and milk background, and no experience whatsoever in IT, yet here I am. Some in my cohort have degrees, others just A Levels.

My advice would be to start looking at how to respond to competency and behaviour based questions. That is how the civil service recruits. These are indicators of your ability to carry out the required tasks, as opposed to experience. The competency and behaviour can be from ANY task you have done before as long as it follows the STAR format.

One year to go means you have an earlier start than most. Start looking for situations to fit the competencies. Also start writing your personal statement now and keep improving it so it’s ready when time comes. The jobs will always be there, don’t let that worry you.
Reply 6
Sounds interesting,

Sorry there was a typo

It’s military background, not milk :smile:
Original post by Jayderb
Hi,

Hi Jayderb, this is fantastic advice and encouraging to hear. I am 30 years old and going to apply for a business analysis apprenticeship. If you have any other insights after nearly another year there then that would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 8
Original post by Henry0691
Hi Jayderb, this is fantastic advice and encouraging to hear. I am 30 years old and going to apply for a business analysis apprenticeship. If you have any other insights after nearly another year there then that would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Henry,

I would strongly encourage you to apply, it’s a really good way to get into the civil service. In hindsight, there’s a few things I could have done differently:

1) pursue more IT/project management courses during the apprenticeship

2) gone for promotion earlier - once you are in the CS, portion through your previous job experience can be fast (I have promoted twice since I joined and now an SEO)

3) your apprenticeship will be based on BCS diploma. Pay and do the exams after every module, that way you earn the apprenticeship and the diploma at the same time. The diploma gives you an edge when applying for other BA jobs. (I am having to repeat the course just to get the diploma)

4) Apply for multiple positions, even HEO BA positions that are not apprenticeship ones. A lot of my colleagues didn’t have BA qualifications. BA is a way of thinking and if you can evidence that during the interview, you can get the job and training after you get in.

5) There is a huge demand for BAs at the moment, so read no. 4 again. Employers are desperate, they are employing talent and potential, not qualified BAs

This guy helped me pass my promotion interviews

https://youtu.be/-adNarICB0Q

Good luck
Original post by Jayderb
Hi Henry,

I would strongly encourage you to apply, it’s a really good way to get into the civil service. In hindsight, there’s a few things I could have done differently:

1) pursue more IT/project management courses during the apprenticeship

2) gone for promotion earlier - once you are in the CS, portion through your previous job experience can be fast (I have promoted twice since I joined and now an SEO)

3) your apprenticeship will be based on BCS diploma. Pay and do the exams after every module, that way you earn the apprenticeship and the diploma at the same time. The diploma gives you an edge when applying for other BA jobs. (I am having to repeat the course just to get the diploma)

4) Apply for multiple positions, even HEO BA positions that are not apprenticeship ones. A lot of my colleagues didn’t have BA qualifications. BA is a way of thinking and if you can evidence that during the interview, you can get the job and training after you get in.

5) There is a huge demand for BAs at the moment, so read no. 4 again. Employers are desperate, they are employing talent and potential, not qualified BAs

This guy helped me pass my promotion interviews

https://youtu.be/-adNarICB0Q

Thank you so much, this information is great!

Do you have any tips for ticking all the boxes for the initial application? (cv and personal statement)
Original post by Henry0691
Thank you so much, this information is great!

Do you have any tips for ticking all the boxes for the initial application? (cv and personal statement)

I use the key words from the vacancy advertisement, and use examples in my work/school/volunteer experience that can evidence these.
Hi, I was just wondering what level of apprentiship you did? And also how you would go about applying for a degree level appretiship if you know?
Original post by MissBelova
Hi, I was just wondering what level of apprentiship you did? And also how you would go about applying for a degree level appretiship if you know?

Hi, I went for a level 4 (diploma).

Some civil service departments have an agreement with training establishments such as QA who offer degree level apprenticeships. These are usually applied for whilst you are working within the department.

But that said, there’s the other option to apply for a degree level apprenticeship via civil service jobs. I have seen a few level 6 apprenticeships with DSTL and the MOD. unfortunately these don’t pay as well as the level 4 but it’s a better option than going to university via self sponsorship and coming out with debt

The link below shows the current apprenticeship on offer:

https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi?SID=Y29udGV4dGlkPTcyMDQ4ODMmb3duZXI9NTA3MDAwMCZwYWdlY2xhc3M9U2VhcmNoJnBhZ2VhY3Rpb249c2VhcmNoY29udGV4dCZvd25lcnR5cGU9ZmFpciZyZXFzaWc9MTY2MTAxNTM3Ni0wNjg5NTU5OWE1MGE2Y2I1YTg1Yzk2ZjIwZGFjZDBjZmY1Yzk3OTE4
Original post by Jayderb
Hi,

Hi what was the interview like ? What questions did they ask? My practice answers are very short, is that bad? Would I be wasting their time?
Reply 14
Original post by Jayderb
Hi,

Hi, I am also interested in the data analyst apprenticeship at Croydon. I submitted the application and wanted to know what is the process like. Is there an assessment center or is it just an interview? Can you remember what they asked you in the interview?
Reply 15
Original post by Jayderb
Age is not a factor.

My cohort has an 18 year old and I believe at 38, I am the oldest. I come from a dentistry and milk background, and no experience whatsoever in IT, yet here I am. Some in my cohort have degrees, others just A Levels.

My advice would be to start looking at how to respond to competency and behaviour based questions. That is how the civil service recruits. These are indicators of your ability to carry out the required tasks, as opposed to experience. The competency and behaviour can be from ANY task you have done before as long as it follows the STAR format.

One year to go means you have an earlier start than most. Start looking for situations to fit the competencies. Also start writing your personal statement now and keep improving it so it’s ready when time comes. The jobs will always be there, don’t let that worry you.

That is great. Very helpful information.

I had applied for Cyber Security Apprentice but did bad in the numerical test. So, applied for another two roles (Information Communications Technician and Regulatory Compliance Officer) but I have to complete another numerical test for them. Any tips on how to get a good percentage as I have not done GCSE Maths since 2007 and got a C, don't remember anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending