What am i doing wrong? (auto)

Watch
Nick6501
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I just got my automatic 1.6 focus and this is first time driving an automatic but i find the car is way too aggressive if that makes sense, for example in D mode if i simply tap the accelerator the car launches....i found myself at 30mph before i even put my foot down....maybe its me being heavy footed due to previously driving a 1.0 manual? idk i just find it weird and even tried lightly pressing the gas pedal and car shoots off.

Suppose its just me so il keep driving it but just wondered if there could be any other reason? i know autos have kickdown where you press pedal hard and it gives you more power but im not even pressing pedal hard maybe ill get used to it, its a 1.6 so will obvs have more power but just didnt expect it to be soo quick..cant imagine what would happen if i put it in S or actually put my foot down
Last edited by Nick6501; 1 week ago
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nick6501)
I just got my automatic 1.6 focus and this is first time driving an automatic but i find the car is way too aggressive if that makes sense, for example in D mode if i simply tap the accelerator the car launches....i found myself at 30mph before i even put my foot down....maybe its me being heavy footed due to previously driving a 1.0 manual? idk i just find it weird and even tried lightly pressing the gas pedal and car shoots off.

Suppose its just me so il keep driving it but just wondered if there could be any other reason? i know autos have kickdown where you press pedal hard and it gives you more power but im not even pressing pedal hard maybe ill get used to it, its a 1.6 so will obvs have more power but just didnt expect it to be soo quick..cant imagine what would happen if i put it in S or actually put my foot down
You just need to adjust.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nick6501)
I just got my automatic 1.6 focus and this is first time driving an automatic but i find the car is way too aggressive if that makes sense, for example in D mode if i simply tap the accelerator the car launches....i found myself at 30mph before i even put my foot down....maybe its me being heavy footed due to previously driving a 1.0 manual? idk i just find it weird and even tried lightly pressing the g. as pedal and car shoots off.

That's normal. You'll get used to it.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Work out what the minimum foot pressure is to get it moving and build up under control.

It's not a problem I have as my car is very heavy - I have to use the gear shift paddles if I need a speedy exit onto a fast road.
Nick6501
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Oh okay, yeah i went out in it and now can select gears without having to look now and stuff and seem to be getting the hang of it, seems i was just used to applying a little bit of pressure due to a 1.0 but now i have a 1.6 auto i need barely any for it to get going.

thanks guys.
virgil1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Check if your car has “driving modes”. More modern cars tend to, you’ll probably find “eco” or some such which will be far less aggressive.
Nick6501
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 minute ago
After driving it for some time i'm used to it now and the car is fine thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (499)
51.39%
No (472)
48.61%

Watched Threads