i-need-sleep
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am currently only in year 9, and I just picked my GCSE options which got me thinking about my future. I would really like to do work in the criminology and forensics area, but the unis I would like to aim for (Oxbridge, particularly Oxford) don’t offer any courses in areas like this. I saw the university of Portsmouth do a wonderful course which I love the sound of, it’s near the beach and has lovely accommodation as well as offering a course which really excites me. It seems perfect! But the thing is I feel as though I’m wasting my capabilities if I go there, as it’s not traditionally a very academic or well-renowned university and I think I might be capable of getting into better unis if I put work in. I’m wondering whether I should continue to aim for that criminology & forensics degree, and pick A level subjects that will coordinate with that, or pick another career path. I have always wanted to do this so I’m really not sure what to do. I know it’s obviously not important for me to have my whole life planned out now, but I do really enjoy knowing where I’m going and what to aim for.
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I'm currently in year 13, and through doing a lot of uni research and from personal experience I know that you can do a master's in criminology at Oxford!! https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/grad...iminal-justice
So you could do:
law
sociology
politics
economics
social policy
psychology
history; or
another subject relevant to criminology before doing a master's in it.
I'm pretty sure Oxford offers some of these subjects!
As for Cambridge they also offer a master's in criminology: https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.a...tory/lwcrmpmcr
And at Cambridge you could also do law, psychology, history etc.
So you could do whichever one of these areas you like at a top uni, then go on to do a master's in criminology. Or even go onto a Dr.
Alternatively you could go to Portsmouth for undergraduate, then do a master's in criminology at a top uni. But from what I've heard, postgraduate courses are a lot more competitive!
My best friend wants to do criminology, she specifically wants to work in prisons and talk to prisoners and learn about the psychology behind criminals. So she is hoping to do psychology at UCL then go onto a master's in criminology.
These links are just examples, I'm sure you will find loads of other criminology courses if you search for them!
Hope this helps!!
Let me know if you've got any questions
Also, if you're interested in forensics specifically, maybe look into chemistry or biology undergraduates? I think Oxford offers material sciences which might be similar? I think what subject you take before criminology depends on which area of criminology interests you the most!!!
Last edited by Caz1234567; 3 months ago
i-need-sleep
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Caz1234567)
Hi, I'm currently in year 13, and through doing a lot of uni research and from personal experience I know that you can do a master's in criminology at Oxford!! https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/grad...iminal-justice
So you could do:
law
sociology
politics
economics
social policy
psychology
history; or
another subject relevant to criminology before doing a master's in it.
I'm pretty sure Oxford offers some of these subjects!
As for Cambridge they also offer a master's in criminology: https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.a...tory/lwcrmpmcr
And at Cambridge you could also do law, psychology, history etc.
So you could do whichever one of these areas you like at a top uni, then go on to do a master's in criminology. Or even go onto a Dr.
Alternatively you could go to Portsmouth for undergraduate, then do a master's in criminology at a top uni. But from what I've heard, postgraduate courses are a lot more competitive!
My best friend wants to do criminology, she specifically wants to work in prisons and talk to prisoners and learn about the psychology behind criminals. So she is hoping to do psychology at UCL then go onto a master's in criminology.
These links are just examples, I'm sure you will find loads of other criminology courses if you search for them!
Hope this helps!!
Let me know if you've got any questions
Also, if you're interested in forensics specifically, maybe look into chemistry or biology undergraduates? I think Oxford offers material sciences which might be similar? I think what subject you take before criminology depends on which area of criminology interests you the most!!!
Thank you so much, this is really helpful!
princesscharli3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Durham university has a criminology degree. It is a very old and traditional university and is also a part of the Russel Group of unis. I want to go there and do criminology also !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (95)
38.93%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.07%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.97%

Watched Threads