j.bulan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi I’m writing because I’m currently stuck between choose go royal Holloway or city. My initial choice was royal Holloway purely because of the course and the campus however I will need to travel from NW london to RH on a regular to get to class which is nearly 2 hours long. however city london does a year abroad alongside the psychology course I will take plus this university is only 40 minutes away from home. I don’t know much about city london so I don’t if I should go purely for the year abroad
FatYikes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by j.bulan)
Hi I’m writing because I’m currently stuck between choose go royal Holloway or city. My initial choice was royal Holloway purely because of the course and the campus however I will need to travel from NW london to RH on a regular to get to class which is nearly 2 hours long. however city london does a year abroad alongside the psychology course I will take plus this university is only 40 minutes away from home. I don’t know much about city london so I don’t if I should go purely for the year abroad
Does Royal Holloway not offer a year abroad?
j.bulan
Rep:
?
(Original post by FatYikes)
Does Royal Holloway not offer a year abroad?
I don’t think so, not that I’ve seen.
BedfordMom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Depends how much value a year abroad will add to a degree in Psychology Versus not only a better uni environment i.e beautiful campus, but ranked way higher for the subject at no 25 to City Unis ranking of 70 for the same subject.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by BedfordMom)
ranked way higher for the subject at no 25 to City Unis ranking of 70 for the same subject.
'Ranking' cannot tell you if you will enjoy doing that course or enjoy being at that University.
Its a marketing exercise run by newspapers, designed to sell newspapers, and is actually a fairly silly way to pick a University.
BedfordMom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
OP is asking about whether it’s better for them to choose a degree with a yr abroad and closer to home versus one that doesn’t have a yr abroad but has a nice campus.

The question is how much value will a yr abroad add to a degree in Psychology? v a university that that has a better and stronger reputation for Psychology i.e research, investment in facilities and employment outcomes for the subject etc etc as well as having a nice campus. This is not the same as ‘overall’ university rankings. You’ll be infact very stupid to disregard subject rankings in deciding where to go. Whether OP will ‘enjoy’ either university is anyone’s guess.
laurenmann
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by j.bulan)
I don’t think so, not that I’ve seen.
hey, I got to RHUL in second year and I study Psychology and Criminology. As far as I am aware, you are able to apply for a year abroad study for any course, providing you do well in your first year. Let me know if you have any other questions about the uni.
j.bulan
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurenmann)
hey, I got to RHUL in second year and I study Psychology and Criminology. As far as I am aware, you are able to apply for a year abroad study for any course, providing you do well in your first year. Let me know if you have any other questions about the uni.
That’s so cool I didn’t know, do you by any chance know the places they do study abroad. Also how are you finding studying at royal Holloway? I’m still trying to decide if travelling 2 hours from home to get to RHUL classes on a daily basis is worth it. Thank you!
j.bulan
Rep:
?
Yes this is what I was mainly thinking about at the start of applying for universities ranking was really important but at this point it doesn’t really bother me too much. I want to go to a uni that I’ll enjoy, it’s a scary step to go from college to university away from everyone I know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
18.05%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (18)
13.53%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.05%

Watched Threads