Feeling Down Because of Car Issue

Watch
rachel_16
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I need to get this off my chest as it's really affecting my mental health a bunch.

So basically, I just recently got a new car on finance from the car dealership at the end of December. It took me a while to get used to it however once I did, I really enjoyed driving my car and bought some things for the interior to give it some personalisation.

Everything was going well the first 2 weeks then that's when it went downhill from there. My tyre pressure warning light appeared on the dashboard so I went to inflate my tyres and their level was remarkably low to start with which I was quite shocked about considering I only drove it a few times since then. After that, the pressure light was still apparent on the dashboard so I made an appointment to get the issue checked at the dealership.

I went up to the store and it turned out the tyre was "burst" which they showed me a photo of the burst tyre and charged me £70 to get one tyre fixed. I am very sceptical that they ripped me off and my tyre was in fact not burst in the first place since they only showed me a photo of the tyre and it could have been any tyre. After this replacement, the tyre pressure light was still visible so this is what led me to believe that they're wasn't anything wrong with the tyre in the first place and it is actually an electrical fault.

So the other day, I was driving and entered a roundabout when my clutch was not pressing down which led me to stop on the middle of a roundabout with my new born sister in the back which could have caused a serious accident if it were busy. Luckily I got it to somehow worked till I got to a parking area. A mechanic managed to get my car back to my house but the clutch is completely seized up and needing replaced despite the car only doing 30k miles???

I phoned the dealership which they said they would get back to me within 48 hours but didn't so I had to call today. They basically said that the clutch seized up because of my driving even though I've hardly been out in the car and I am quite aware with my clutch when driving so I know for sure it is not my driving style which I would admit to if I was seriously attacking the clutch but I don't. Moreover, they said that this damage is not covered under their warranty if it has been burned out by my "terrible" driving style meaning they will expect me to pay £600 for a new clutch. I am definitely not paying this as their was obviously issues with the car beforehand which they didn't solve before selling..

I am really upset with this because I have have only had the car for not even 3 months and there has just been constant issues with is why is definitely not appropriate when you are paying quite a bit monthly for a car which you are expecting to last you a year or so before encountering issues.. It's just put me really down recently as Ive had to cancel a lot of things due to no car.

Sorry for long post.
rachel_16
Rep:
?
(Original post by rachel_16)
I need to get this off my chest as it's really affecting my mental health a bunch.

So basically, I just recently got a new car on finance from the car dealership at the end of December. It took me a while to get used to it however once I did, I really enjoyed driving my car and bought some things for the interior to give it some personalisation.

Everything was going well the first 2 weeks then that's when it went downhill from there. My tyre pressure warning light appeared on the dashboard so I went to inflate my tyres and their level was remarkably low to start with which I was quite shocked about considering I only drove it a few times since then. After that, the pressure light was still apparent on the dashboard so I made an appointment to get the issue checked at the dealership.

I went up to the store and it turned out the tyre was "burst" which they showed me a photo of the burst tyre and charged me £70 to get one tyre fixed. I am very sceptical that they ripped me off and my tyre was in fact not burst in the first place since they only showed me a photo of the tyre and it could have been any tyre. After this replacement, the tyre pressure light was still visible so this is what led me to believe that they're wasn't anything wrong with the tyre in the first place and it is actually an electrical fault.

So the other day, I was driving and entered a roundabout when my clutch was not pressing down which led me to stop on the middle of a roundabout with my new born sister in the back which could have caused a serious accident if it were busy. Luckily I got it to somehow worked till I got to a parking area. A mechanic managed to get my car back to my house but the clutch is completely seized up and needing replaced despite the car only doing 30k miles???

I phoned the dealership which they said they would get back to me within 48 hours but didn't so I had to call today. They basically said that the clutch seized up because of my driving even though I've hardly been out in the car and I am quite aware with my clutch when driving so I know for sure it is not my driving style which I would admit to if I was seriously attacking the clutch but I don't. Moreover, they said that this damage is not covered under their warranty if it has been burned out by my "terrible" driving style meaning they will expect me to pay £600 for a new clutch. I am definitely not paying this as their was obviously issues with the car beforehand which they didn't solve before selling..

I am really upset with this because I have have only had the car for not even 3 months and there has just been constant issues with is why is definitely not appropriate when you are paying quite a bit monthly for a car which you are expecting to last you a year or so before encountering issues.. It's just put me really down recently as Ive had to cancel a lot of things due to no car.

Sorry for long post.
Apologies for my spelling mistakes. I was typing this quite fast in rage!
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Sorry for long post.
You couldn't depress the clutch pedal?! That's not a burned out clutch, that's a mechanical problem!

Don't let the selling garage fob you off.
boblishman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You're being massively ripped off. As for the garage claiming it's your driving style and it's not under their warranty - that's utter *******s.

Don't let them get away with it.
rachel_16
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
You couldn't depress the clutch pedal?! That's not a burned out clutch, that's a mechanical problem!

Don't let the selling garage fob you off.
Exactly. It got towed yesterday to the garage which they paid for so just waiting for word back today. But if they try and say that It was my fault that the clutch is the way is it, I have evidence from the mechanic that looked at it before he managed to get it back to my house so they can absolutely speak to him if they think I am lying.
rachel_16
Rep:
?
(Original post by boblishman)
You're being massively ripped off. As for the garage claiming it's your driving style and it's not under their warranty - that's utter *******s.

Don't let them get away with it.
They will do anything in their power to put the blame on me so their company doesn't look bad however they obviously didn't do all the checks before selling the car. I have plenty of evidence to back up my argument that this was not my doing so if they try and make that assumption, I will be taking it further.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Exactly. It got towed yesterday to the garage which they paid for so just waiting for word back today. But if they try and say that It was my fault that the clutch is the way is it, I have evidence from the mechanic that looked at it before he managed to get it back to my house so they can absolutely speak to him if they think I am lying.
If you don't get anywhere, a simple "Letter Before Action" (templates can be found online or via CAB) can work wonders :-)
rachel_16
Rep:
?
If you don't get anywhere, a simple "Letter Before Action" (templates can be found online or via CAB) can work wonders :-)
Thank you for letting me know!

I absolutely love driving and not getting out on the roads is annoying me.

I will update this thread once I hear back from the company. Fingers crossed.
rachel_16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Update:

I still haven't received my car yet. Its now hitting the 2 week mark and I still haven't heard anything about my car...

I have phoned up countless times which they said it hasn't even entered the workshop yet as its still with the towing company... they are going to phone me today for an update however the last time they said they would phone they didn't.

I am very upset that my car hasn't even been looked at yet and its been so long since it got towed away. I understand that we are in the middle of a pandemic but it definitely shouldn't take this long... If I went to a private garage, I would have received my car back the following day or too.

The customer service for this company is ridiculous as they have been no help at all. I actually feel like just cancelling my policy depending on the outcome of the car. Hopefully I get an update on the car today as communication has been terrible since the start. If I knew all this would happen then I wouldn't have bought a car from that service.

They haven't even given me an option of a courtesy car in the meantime which I enquired about and they said they have "no courtesy cars available at the moment" (I wonder why...).

Anyway, I will further update this thread with the outcome today.
Last edited by rachel_16; 3 days ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Update:

I still haven't received my car yet. Its now hitting the 2 week mark and I still haven't heard anything about my car...

I have phoned up countless times which they said it hasn't even entered the workshop yet as its still with the towing company... they are going to phone me today for an update however the last time they said they would phone they didn't.

I am very upset that my car hasn't even been looked at yet and its been so long since it got towed away. I understand that we are in the middle of a pandemic but it definitely shouldn't take this long... If I went to a private garage, I would have received my car back the following day or too.

The customer service for this company is ridiculous as they have been no help at all. I actually feel like just cancelling my policy depending on the outcome of the car. Hopefully I get an update on the car today as communication has been terrible since the start. If I knew all this would happen then I wouldn't have bought a car from that service.

They haven't even given me an option of a courtesy car in the meantime which I enquired about and they said they have "no courtesy cars available at the moment" (I wonder why...).

Anyway, I will further update this thread with the outcome today.
Name and shame the dealership!
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
The best thing you could do would be to return the car to the dealer for a full refund. The car isn't fit for purpose and is well below the standards that any reasonable person would expect for such a low mileage vehicle.
Presumably it's not very old and cost you £thousands?

Failing that, sell the car for the highest price you can get - once the garage have fixed the clutch under warranty.

Then have a look at Car Throttle's Youtube videos where they buy cars for under £1000.
Get yourself the equivalent of the £350 BMW 316i they bought recently.

Run your sub £1000 into the scrap yard.

This route will take so much stress out of your life.
By far, the happiest motoring is in something you paid less than £1000 for.
rachel_16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
The best thing you could do would be to return the car to the dealer for a full refund. The car isn't fit for purpose and is well below the standards that any reasonable person would expect for such a low mileage vehicle.
Presumably it's not very old and cost you £thousands?

Failing that, sell the car for the highest price you can get - once the garage have fixed the clutch under warranty.

Then have a look at Car Throttle's Youtube videos where they buy cars for under £1000.
Get yourself the equivalent of the £350 BMW 316i they bought recently.

Run your sub £1000 into the scrap yard.

This route will take so much stress out of your life.
By far, the happiest motoring is in something you paid less than £1000 for.
Thanks for the advice.

I will take this into consideration if it comes to it.
rachel_16
Rep:
?
Name and shame the dealership!
I would like to keep them confidential at the moment.

Once things are fixed I will name the dealership!
rachel_16
Rep:
?
Another update:

Yesterday the dealership phoned me to let me know that my car was in the workshop. I asked if the clutch issue is covered under the warranty which they would get back to me "today" if it was or not.

They phoned today to explain that yes there was a fault with the clutch which they admitted that it was completely their fault and they shouldn't have sold the car in that state. It's fully covered under their warranty so they will replace the full clutch and fix the electrical fault that my car was previously booked in with the garage for the end of March. They explained that given the circumstances, they will look into extending the warranty for a further free months as I explained that I have "trust" issues with the company incase they restore the clutch but only a part of it therefore meaning I would need to repair it again and pay for the damages.

I am also going to enquire about receiving some type of compensation for this situation as I haven't drove the car for 2 weeks because it has been at the workshop and look into receiving a refund for the burst tyre which cost me over £60 to replace.

In terms of changing the car, I am just going to keep this car for a few years or so "depending on the next few months" because it's such a hassle going through the finance company to change things over then picking a new car etc... (plus I'm quite comfortable with the car)

I will provide another update tomorrow when they phone back.

Thanks everyone for the advice!
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Another update:

Yesterday the dealership phoned me to let me know that my car was in the workshop. I asked if the clutch issue is covered under the warranty which they would get back to me "today" if it was or not.

They phoned today to explain that yes there was a fault with the clutch which they admitted that it was completely their fault and they shouldn't have sold the car in that state. It's fully covered under their warranty so they will replace the full clutch and fix the electrical fault that my car was previously booked in with the garage for the end of March. They explained that given the circumstances, they will look into extending the warranty for a further free months as I explained that I have "trust" issues with the company incase they restore the clutch but only a part of it therefore meaning I would need to repair it again and pay for the damages.

I am also going to enquire about receiving some type of compensation for this situation as I haven't drove the car for 2 weeks because it has been at the workshop and look into receiving a refund for the burst tyre which cost me over £60 to replace.

In terms of changing the car, I am just going to keep this car for a few years or so "depending on the next few months" because it's such a hassle going through the finance company to change things over then picking a new car etc... (plus I'm quite comfortable with the car)

I will provide another update tomorrow when they phone back.

Thanks everyone for the advice!
Looks like you're getting somewhere!
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Surely, by far, the biggest hassle will be finding the money every month for the next 60 months (or whatever)?

If you can earn £10 an hour take home (IE a couple of steps above minimum wage) how many hours per month will you have to work, just to make the payments on the car?

You have sold yourself off to be an indentured servant to the finance company.

Wouldn't it be better if your car was a slave to you, instead of you being a slave to your car?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Surely, by far, the biggest hassle will be finding the money every month for the next 60 months (or whatever)?

If you can earn £10 an hour take home (IE a couple of steps above minimum wage) how many hours per month will you have to work, just to make the payments on the car?

Wouldn't it be better if your car was a slave to you, instead of you being a slave to your car?
*snaps fingers*

Too far, too far. hippy down.
elphin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 18 hours ago
First of all dont be too upset. Problems are a part of life whether it is a car, house or some gadget.

Google "rejecting a car" because under consumer rights act you have the right to reject a faulty car. I have never come across a seized clutch but not being able to depress it indicates something wrong with the release mechanism. Bad driving style i.e. riding the clutch or slipping it too much with high revs will cause wear and the clutch will slip. Unless you have been dumping the clutch and launching the car everywhere I dont see how the clutch can seize in such a short time and even then it will start slipping. It takes effort to reject a car especially when you are on finance since you need to speak with the finance company. The dealership is willing to fix your car which is a better option and the rejection is still in your favour within six months of purchase if the car continues to not work properly.
rachel_16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 20 minutes ago
(Original post by elphin)
First of all dont be too upset. Problems are a part of life whether it is a car, house or some gadget.

Google "rejecting a car" because under consumer rights act you have the right to reject a faulty car. I have never come across a seized clutch but not being able to depress it indicates something wrong with the release mechanism. Bad driving style i.e. riding the clutch or slipping it too much with high revs will cause wear and the clutch will slip. Unless you have been dumping the clutch and launching the car everywhere I dont see how the clutch can seize in such a short time and even then it will start slipping. It takes effort to reject a car especially when you are on finance since you need to speak with the finance company. The dealership is willing to fix your car which is a better option and the rejection is still in your favour within six months of purchase if the car continues to not work properly.
I am going to phone up the finance company and explain my situation on Monday to discuss my options. Ideally I would like to keep the car and like you said, if the car then continuous to have issues, that's when I will consider rejecting the car.

In the meantime, the garage ordered a clutch yesterday so hoping to get it fixed plus the electrical issue for Wednesday. Installing a new clutch can be quite a time consuming repair so I don't think I will be able to get the car back this Monday coming.

In terms of my driving style, the seizing of the clutch was not my doing as I am quite a conscious driver when it comes to the clutch. The private mechanic that inspected my car prior to taking it up to the dealership explained that this was an odd situation and was not caused by the driver in any way. I know many people probably say this and their driving style has in fact caused the clutch to be needing replaced, however my old car has been driven 130,000km and had no issues whatsoever with the clutch so it must have been a faulty clutch that was previously installed.

I will provide another update on Monday.
rachel_16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 minutes ago

I have chosen my car because I like it (hence the reason for purchasing it) and because I got a good deal in terms of monthly instalments.

If the car was way out of what I could afford to pay each month (also taking into account petrol costs and insurance). then I would under no circumstances purchase the car and would look elsewhere for a better deal.

I do wish to keep the car however what I'm saying is if the car continues to have problems after being fixed, then I would look into cancelling my policy. But this can only be determined once I receive the car back and drive it for a month or so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (450)
51.55%
No (423)
48.45%

Watched Threads