Fatine H
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I have a prowise 11.6" entryline chromebook. It was working perfectly fine charging, powering on, responding and whatnot. All of a sudden it powered off and went all black. I assumed the battery died since it had a low percentage anyway, so I put it on charge. It turned back on BUT it was on charge for an hour, yet it was still on 1 percent. I removed the charger to check if that was the problem and the screen went black again. I pressed the power button as usual... no response. I plugged in the charger and then it was working perfectly fine. I looked online to see what the issue was I did the crosh thing, hard reset etc. but still the same problem. My battery is not "worn out" or dead because it is 61.67% health so it is in decent shape. I really need advice as I can't go to a repair shop at the moment. pls help
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Fatine H)
I have a prowise 11.6" entryline chromebook. It was working perfectly fine charging, powering on, responding and whatnot. All of a sudden it powered off and went all black. I assumed the battery died since it had a low percentage anyway, so I put it on charge. It turned back on BUT it was on charge for an hour, yet it was still on 1 percent. I removed the charger to check if that was the problem and the screen went black again. I pressed the power button as usual... no response. I plugged in the charger and then it was working perfectly fine. I looked online to see what the issue was I did the crosh thing, hard reset etc. but still the same problem. My battery is not "worn out" or dead because it is 61.67% health so it is in decent shape. I really need advice as I can't go to a repair shop at the moment. pls help
Plug it into another monitor with HDMI or something, could be a screen connector issue if it comes back to life on another screen you've found the problem.
Fatine H
Rep:
?
Once I connect the HDMI would I be able to diagnose from that?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Once I connect the HDMI would I be able to diagnose from that?
It depends, it just sounds like it could be an issue with the connector from graphics card/motherboard to the computers screen. If you plug it into another monitor and the PC works fine then you know its the screen/connector.
Last edited by mnot; 6 months ago
Fatine H
Rep:
?
Oh okie, thank you so much I will try it on the TV for sure and I'll see. And also if I was to use it while plugged in only would that damage the PC further?
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
From the description it's either a dodgy connection from the motherboard to the battery. Or it's a fault on the motherboard whereby it's not charging the battery.

Or it's a fault with the battery. Percentage health scores can be funny things. I've come across laptops where the battery health was rated at about 60% and it wouldn't hold any charge at all.

There's no way at all that it should sit there for an hour and not charge the battery when mains power is applied.

To diagnose, start with the easiest and cheapest. IE check the battery connections. Check the battery by temporarily swapping it (if you can). If it's the motherboard it's BER (Beyond Economical Repair) if it's out of warranty.
Fatine H
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
From the description it's either a dodgy connection from the motherboard to the battery. Or it's a fault on the motherboard whereby it's not charging the battery.

Or it's a fault with the battery. Percentage health scores can be funny things. I've come across laptops where the battery health was rated at about 60% and it wouldn't hold any charge at all.

There's no way at all that it should sit there for an hour and not charge the battery when mains power is applied.

To diagnose, start with the easiest and cheapest. IE check the battery connections. Check the battery by temporarily swapping it (if you can). If it's the motherboard it's BER (Beyond Economical Repair) if it's out of warranty.
okay I will attempt to see if I can find the problem, if not then I'll have to wait until I can go get it repaired. I have left it to charge overnight but it is still on 1 percent in fact it showed up as having zero battery and turned off. the battery seems to be my main guess of it not holding any charge. maybe a potential connection problem? I'll see and hope it isn't too bad - thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. : )
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
okay I will attempt to see if I can find the problem, if not then I'll have to wait until I can go get it repaired. I have left it to charge overnight but it is still on 1 percent in fact it showed up as having zero battery and turned off. the battery seems to be my main guess of it not holding any charge. maybe a potential connection problem? I'll see and hope it isn't too bad - thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. : )
My betting is that it's the battery or the motherboard.

It's unlikey that you'd get a reading of battery charge and it not to charge if it was just a dodgy connection. But the connection is free and simple enough to check. So you might as well start with that.

If you knew anyone with the same model of chromebook, you could swap batteries temporarily between chromebooks to diagnose the fault.

If the chromebook was holding charge and you could work all day on it, until suddenly it stopped charging the battery, I'd be strongly suspecting a motherboard fault. But couldn't rule out a sudden battery fault.
All of which is a bit annoying, if you buy a replacement battery and it turns out to be the motherboard.

If on the other hand the battery was keeping the chromebook up for shorter and shorter times, dropping down to half an hour, I'd strongly suspect the battery.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.14%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (27)
14.84%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (49)
26.92%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed