Dash cam? Anyone else?

Watch
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm thinking of getting a dash cam for my car as people where I live cannot drive.

Anyone got one? Good/bad idea? Has it helped you? Recommendations for which one is good?

Cheers!
LeMansClivey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
I'm thinking of getting a dash cam for my car as people where I live cannot drive.

Anyone got one? Good/bad idea? Has it helped you? Recommendations for which one is good?

Cheers!
If you ever have to rely on it to prove fault etc., you'll want one that's good enough to pick-up things like number plates at night. Having a rear facing one as well is worthwhile. After doing quite a bit of research, I'm personally about to go for the Viofo A129 Pro Duo.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Cheers!
Anything by BlackVue
Lshort17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Good idea to get one, I have one. Not sure on the model though.
boblishman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Get one, if only so you can submit clips of dangerous/bad driving to any of the numerous youtube channels dedicated to such a thing.
myow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
nextbase dash cams are really good
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by myow)
nextbase dash cams are really good
Until the silly internal battery dies a death.
myow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Until the silly internal battery dies a death.
I have mine wired to my car, idk if that still means the battery is rubbish?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by myow)
I have mine wired to my car, idk if that still means the battery is rubbish?
Yes, it does. The battery gets constantly trickle charged, and is easily damaged by heat in the summer and cold in the winter.

Nextbase batteries don't last long, and once they die the camera suffers all sorts of problems.

Got a super capacitor based dashcam and never looked back.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have a front+rear one. Nothing special - Apeman I think is the brand. Quality is excellent though and it's very low profile. It sticks flat to the windscreen with double sided tape so very inconspicuous.

I don't like driving without one now I'm used to it. That said I do drive very defensively and I've only had a handful of worthwhile clips in the six odd years I've had one fitted.

This is the most note-worthy one I've gotten, and it was on my old MiVue camera. Van runs a red light at the start and then I almost get mowed down by a tractor and fully loaded trailer also running a red light. Small farming town life :rolleyes:

Joshkav
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have the Viofo A129 Pro Duo and can't recommend it enough. I had the Nextbase 522GW before this one and the battery kept dying if I drove for any longer than 2 hours, even though it was plugged in to a USB socket.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Yes, it does. The battery gets constantly trickle charged, and is easily damaged by heat in the summer and cold in the winter.

Nextbase batteries don't last long, and once they die the camera suffers all sorts of problems.

Got a super capacitor based dashcam and never looked back.
Is the BlackVue ones you recommend heat resistant? I live in the south and have very, very hot summers.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is the BlackVue ones you recommend heat resistant? I live in the south and have very, very hot summers.
It'll be perfectly fine right up to 70 degrees C; that's one of the benefits of a capacitor based dashcam over a battery based dashcam.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sweeney Todd)
Recently our company started importing dash cameras for our online store. The reason we chose to add dash cameras to our lineup was based on what we preceived to be a very real need.
In the first five months of 2015, three incidents involving dash cameras made national headlines here in Canada. In January a truck driver on highway 11 in Northern Ontario caught footage of another driver passing a snow plow. To avoid a head on collision, the driver of the truck with the dash cam, drove into the guard rail. The driver of the oncoming truck that forced the dash cam owner off the road was later identified and charged with reckless driving.
Another incident, also occuring in Ontario Canada involved a dash cam owner that was leaving a McDonalds restaurant, when the pickup truck in front, was put into reverse, and backed into his car. The truck occupants came out, enraged and shouting at the dash cam owner he would have to pay. Although not proven, it is a suspicious incident where the occupants of the truck were possibly attempting a crash for cash fraud scheme. Without the dash cam video as proof, the driver of the car would have been found 100% at fault.
Not too long ago, in Regina Saskatchewan, a family's pickup truck was vandalized in a parking lot. The dash cam in their truck had a motion sensor that started recording when it picked up the motion of the vandal. The whole thing was recorded and sent to police and to the media that ran the story.
Finally let me share a personal experience as to why I believe all cars should be equipped with dash cameras.
Last summer I was nearly t-boned at an intersection. I had the green light, I was in the middle of the intersection making a left turn, when I caught motion in my peripheral vision. I swerved to my left, and avoided a collision. I was also furious. I pulled up behind them at the next red light (they chose to acknowledge that one), pulled out my cell phone and took pictures of their license plate so I could report it to police. I chose not to pursue it as there was four people in the car that would be able to refute my accusation. What I did not have was an irrefutable driver witness that a dash cam provides you.
S,o do you need a dash cam? Truthfully, you are the only one who can accurately answer that question. But ask yourself this. If you are ever in a situation where you need one, will you wish you had a dash cam or glad you did have one.
Not sure that a copypasta from Quora is all that helpful......
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
It'll be perfectly fine right up to 70 degrees C; that's one of the benefits of a capacitor based dashcam over a battery based dashcam.
Oh wow. Yeah, the car gets very hot in the summer but that sounds like it might be ok. I just didn't want to have to keep taking it out and putting it back. Thanks!
Sweeney Todd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not sure that a copypasta from Quora is all that helpful......
?????
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh wow. Yeah, the car gets very hot in the summer but that sounds like it might be ok. I just didn't want to have to keep taking it out and putting it back. Thanks!
Yep mine has happily remained in the car through a couple of rather warm summers now and has been totally fine
?????
You've simply copied that wall of text from Quora. It's tantamount to spam.
Sweeney Todd
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yep mine has happily remained in the car through a couple of rather warm summers now and has been totally fine

You've simply copied that wall of text from Quora. It's tantamount to spam.
If it helps, then it isn't spam. I may have copied this from Quora, but tell me something, why were you on the same website, if not to steal or be inspired by someone else's answer?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If it helps, then it isn't spam. I may have copied this from Quora, but tell me something, why were you on the same website, if not to steal or be inspired by someone else's answer?
I Google'd the contents of your post to ensure that it was indeed stolen prior to calling you out.

It was pretty obvious that it was a copypasta because I saw the author name before your edited your post :laugh:
Sweeney Todd
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I Google'd the contents of your post to ensure that it was indeed stolen prior to calling you out.

It was pretty obvious that it was a copypasta because I saw the author name before your edited your post :laugh:
That's nice, have a good day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
12%
Virtual campus tours/open days (134)
24.36%
Live streaming events (47)
8.55%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.45%
A uni comparison tool (129)
23.45%
An in-person event when available (122)
22.18%