Natsophie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi guys which is better uni to study Bsc Psychology online; Arden, Derby or Essex?
EternalStudenten
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hello,
Essex is a more reputable university overall.
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Natsophie)
Hi guys which is better uni to study Bsc Psychology online; Arden, Derby or Essex?
Natsophie
I am currently doing my MSc in Psychology after my degree.

With whichever option you chose I think it is important to take a holistic view of the Universities on the list. Virtual tours online are a great opportunity and it is worth checking out one for each.

I am currently studying at Arden University which has been a breath of fresh air for me, I am doing the course online which fits nicely around my teaching role in a local college. They do have a blended learning option in London, Birmingham and Manchester which might be better suited to some people. As a qualified teacher (and SENDco) I feel well versed on what makes a good lesson, and I have been impressed with the standard throughout the course. Arden are doing some really cutting edge stuff with their online programs, which is the direction that the Higher Education market is largely heading in to expand.

As marks of quality, the Arden course is accredited by the BPS, and the University as a whole has a great review from the QAA (a bit like Ofsted) their report is available online.

Here is a link to the Psychology course - https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/unde...psychology-bps

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
OptimiserSS
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

My daughter's is in her 2nd year of University of Derby Online (UDOL) BSC Psychology. She's very upset and let down by the tutors. They either seem condescending or irritated if any questions are asked to them.

The evaluation is fully assignments and reports based. The criteria of evaluation are never clearly shown by the tutors even when they are asked. And yet they deduct points and mention those criteria only after submitting the assignments. Apart from the online lecture videos, you are on your own with self study. Mentoring from tutors is as good as none.

Psychology education requires a lot of study material, there is an online library of regular textbooks for downloading into their protected software.
The actual books are quite expensive, but the cheaper options are to search online in electronic forms or buy through eBay.

However, the course works also require further referring external journals which are exorbitantly expensive even online. So brace yourself for spending a lot more money for those journals.

If you are a lone but dedicated & disciplined student (for which I am proud of my daughter) then give UDOL a try. The other online options for UK are Arden & OU with 3 years program.

When my daughter and I were searching for Online BSC Psychology, we were impressed by University of Essex Online BSC Psychology program, but back then their program didn't include BPS Accreditation. However, their prospectus has changed this year and looks very interesting, and now their program has BPS accreditation. But mind you, unlike 3 years for Derby, Arden, & OU, prospectus of Essex says program duration is 4 years.
Last edited by OptimiserSS; 5 months ago
Natsophie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by OptimiserSS)
If I had a chance again today, I'd try with Essex.

My daughter's is in her 2nd year of University of Derby Online (UDOL) BSC Psychology. She's very upset and let down by the tutors. They either seem condescending or irritated if any questions are asked to them.

The evaluation is fully assignments and reports based. The criteria of evaluation are never clearly shown by the tutors even when they are asked. And yet they deduct points and mention those criteria only after submitting the assignments. Apart from the online lecture videos, you are on your own with self study. Mentoring from tutors is as good as none.

Psychology education requires a lot of study material, there is an online library of regular textbooks for downloading into their protected software.
The actual books are quite expensive, but the cheaper options are to search online in electronic forms or buy through eBay.

However, the course works also require further referring external journals which are exorbitantly expensive even online. So brace yourself for spending a lot more money for those journals.

If you are a lone but dedicated & disciplined student (for which I am proud of my daughter) then give UDOL a try. The other online options for UK are Arden & OU with 3 years program.

When my daughter and I were searching for Online BSC Psychology, we were impressed by University of Essex Online BSC Psychology program, but back then their program didn't include BPS Accreditation. However, their prospectus has changed this year and looks very interesting, and now their program has BPS accreditation. But mind you, unlike 3 years for Derby, Arden, & OU, prospectus of Essex says program duration is 4 years.
Hi thank you for your feedback. Thats quite shocking as after researching all the online options quite extensively, Derby looked the best!😳
How many hours is your daughter putting in per week out of interest? They told me roughly 20 hours per week for the part time route which seems quite a lot if working full time.
The problem with Essex is it is run through Kaplan learning and if you search for reviews on that it's really bad. Arden looks good but I wonder if employees consider it as highly as it is a relatively new university.
So confused, I'm wondering now if better to just go to campus for more direction and support. I am good at lone study but it must take a lot of concentration to keep up for number of years with no real contact with uni.
OptimiserSS
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi thank you for your feedback. Thats quite shocking as after researching all the online options quite extensively, Derby looked the best!😳
How many hours is your daughter putting in per week out of interest? They told me roughly 20 hours per week for the part time route which seems quite a lot if working full time.
The problem with Essex is it is run through Kaplan learning and if you search for reviews on that it's really bad. Arden looks good but I wonder if employees consider it as highly as it is a relatively new university.
So confused, I'm wondering now if better to just go to campus for more direction and support. I am good at lone study but it must take a lot of concentration to keep up for number of years with no real contact with uni.
Thanks for alerting me about Kaplan Learning System, I then looked it up.
University of Essex outsourcing it's online BSC programs to Kaplan probably means your college education is at that the mercy of bunch of capitalist Yanks. If no University of Essex faculty and academics are involved in online programs and selecting it needs rethinking.
eduorclinpsych
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Doesn't the University of Essex run the Travistock and Portman Master's and Doctorate qualifications?

Seems pretty forefront in the research and clinical understanding side of things.
Natsophie
Rep:
?
University of Essex outsourcing it's online BSC programs to Kaplan probably means your college education is at that the mercy of bunch of capitalist Yanks. If no University of Essex faculty and academics are involved in online programs and selecting it needs rethinking.
Yes I was dissapointed as Essex has a decent reputation overall and pretty good price fee wise
OptimiserSS
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
With regards to you saying "Derby looked the best!😳", it's more like which is the least worst or lesser of the evils.

Circumstances lead us to selecting UDOL, the colleges in our home town didn't have full Psychology Degrees, just BA degree with final year module of Psychology; hence we searched for Online Programs. Ended up with choice of Arden, Essex, Derby, & OU. Arden does not have a parallel full campus bricks & mortar setup. Essex didn't then offer with BPS accreditation. First letter of OU stands for Open, so ended up with Derby.
No, it's not that simple, many issues mattered.

Regarding your question, how many hours she gives in, she's up 7:30 am 7 days a week and sits up to sunset or beyond with breaks off and on. She's registered Fulltime Online. And so far she's on track with prescribed 2 Modules per semester of 3 years program. If you want it part time then I guess it's One Module per Trimester for you. This is an entirely self study program, don't expect much from the academics except to scale down the evaluation of your assignments.
Natsophie
Rep:
?
With regards to you saying "Derby looked the best!😳", it's more like which is the least worst or lesser of the evils.

Circumstances lead us to selecting UDOL, the colleges in our home town didn't have full Psychology Degrees, just BA degree with final year module of Psychology; hence we searched for Online Programs. Ended up with choice of Arden, Essex, Derby, & OU. Arden does not have a parallel full campus bricks & mortar setup. Essex didn't then offer with BPS accreditation. First letter of OU stands for Open, so ended up with Derby.
No, it's not that simple, many issues mattered.

Regarding your question, how many hours she gives in, she's up 7:30 am 7 days a week and sits up to sunset or beyond with breaks off and on. She's registered Fulltime Online. And so far she's on track with prescribed 2 Modules per semester of 3 years program. If you want it part time then I guess it's One Module per Trimester for you. This is an entirely self study program, don't expect much from the academics except to scale down the evaluation of your assignments.
Wow so quite intense to study all in 3 years! I was wondering if I could work and still achieve degree in 3 years. I am mature student so need to work.
I agree no online option is ideal, leaning more toward going to campus now as online appeals initially as more convenient with no travel time on top etc but is it really factoring in the clear lack of tutor / student peer support. Also campus allows option of applying student loan so I can work part time.
OptimiserSS
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Wow so quite intense to study all in 3 years! I was wondering if I could work and still achieve degree in 3 years. I am mature student so need to work.
I agree no online option is ideal, leaning more toward going to campus now as online appeals initially as more convenient with no travel time on top etc but is it really factoring in the clear lack of tutor / student peer support. Also campus allows option of applying student loan so I can work part time.
The first year trimesters at University of Derby Online are the most difficult, remember you are not in a campus so you can just catch someone walking out of the lecture hall. All students are anonymous to each other. And just to isolate you more UDOL recommends or has initial guidelines to not join any private students Social Media group (don't listen to them). It's the you are on your own syndrome.

If you contact the tutors for doubts, they give you the guilty feeling that perhaps you've disturbed them for a trivial issue. And then we all have the fear that complaining or openly commenting against them may cause reprisal towards grade or evaluation. Also University management does not take enough initiative to look into their new stepchildren's dilemma of adjusting to Online studies.

It gets better in the 2nd year once you manage to find WhatsApp groups of students who genuinely help & mentor each other without cheating or plagiarizing. These groups of online students have range of novices, experienced, 2nd degree seeking, & late life degree seeking people. So interaction in these could be a (academic) life saver. Also in 2nd year you also get used to the evaluation psyche of the tutors regarding your assignments; after all, that's what they are for, to evaluate more than teach.

Apart form the cold shoulder, UDOL study material regarding BSC Psychology is very rich & intense, so it may still be worthwhile depending on your circumstances. Nevertheless study of Psychology is very people's related (in my layman's term), having people around you in a bricks & mortar setup should be the actual way. Online studies should be last option.
Last edited by OptimiserSS; 5 months ago
Sunray_minor
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I

Yes I was dissapointed as Essex has a decent reputation overall and pretty good price fee wise
I study with Essex online for business analytics. Although it is run through Kaplan you’re actually taught by academics. I’ve had a former professor at Stanford and Oxford for two of my modules.
c0zycarter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sunray_minor)
I

I study with Essex online for business analytics. Although it is run through Kaplan you’re actually taught by academics. I’ve had a former professor at Stanford and Oxford for two of my modules.
Hey! I see you're studying at Essex, do you mind answering a few of my questions? How many modules can you study at a time and how long each is semester?
Sunray_minor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by c0zycarter)
Hey! I see you're studying at Essex, do you mind answering a few of my questions? How many modules can you study at a time and how long each is semester?
On my course you can study two at one time. They supply a timetable but you can request to study two at one time, three is not permitted. Some modules are planned to be studied together. I’m on a Masters course and it’s continuous with a week or two between modules and a good 3 weeks off at Christmas.
Ray0209
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd be interested in this as well. I am looking to switch from the OU after completing the HNC and Essex seems to be really on the ball with their support, although Derby has the more interesting curriculum, in my opinion. Couldn't get hold of Arden on the phone so that one is off the list for me. Anglia Ruskin also do a Bsc programme, but their website is a bit more unorganised compared to Derby/Essex.
Sunray_minor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ray0209)
I'd be interested in this as well. I am looking to switch from the OU after completing the HNC and Essex seems to be really on the ball with their support, although Derby has the more interesting curriculum, in my opinion. Couldn't get hold of Arden on the phone so that one is off the list for me. Anglia Ruskin also do a Bsc programme, but their website is a bit more unorganised compared to Derby/Essex.
I’ve studied maths and stats with the OU and took a two year study break to study an MSc with Essex online. I hope to go back depending on SfE Oct 22.

A big positive of Essex online is you get your own personal student support and they’re on the ball to be fair from talking to other students. They also just received 95% on the NSS student satisfaction survey. I personally don’t or have ever used student services as I’m one of those who just wants the material to get on with and that’s it.

Negative, is it’s far far far more difficult to ask for an assignment extension compared to the OU.
coolguy23i
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Kaplan also working with Uni of Liverpool and they got TEF Gold as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.98%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.74%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.98%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.87%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.82%

Watched Threads