The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham university 2022 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by isabelbelle
What is the likelihood of getting ur first or second choices?

We don't have the 2021 statistics. In 2020, (with the opportunity to choose only 1 college) some colleges had an admission rate of around 40% but others were around 90%. Usually, it's more likely to get your first/second choice if they are hill colleges compared to bailey ones
PS: 2021 statistics should be available in early February 2022
(edited 2 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by XanaXoid
We don't have the 2021 statistics. In 2020, (with the opportunity to choose only 1 college) some colleges had an admission rate of around 40% but others were around 90%. Usually, it's more likely to get your first/second choice if they are hill colleges compared to bailey ones
PS: 2021 statistics should be available in early February 2022

Do you have the link to the 2020 statistics?
Original post by lemonadetea

Never mind got it now! Didn’t realise it was linked in your original message oops!

Never mind got it now! Didn’t realise it was linked in your original message oops!

No worries. If you need more information feel free to PM me
Original post by Immortal-Reaper
Could anyone explain how allocation to the colleges works? I'm applying for cuths self catering so would I get allocated to another self catered college or would it be random and I might end up in catered? I'm worried because I can't really afford the catered accommodation but also don't qualify for most of the hardship funds and you can only change colleges for medical reasons :s-smilie:

I have known people be able to change college for financial reasons too, but I believe it's quite an intrusive process (they go through all your bank accounts and expenses you'll have etc. to check you're not being unrealistic)
Original post by isabelbelle
What is the likelihood of getting ur first or second choices?

No official stats have been released as said above, but I would say on TSR about 70% or something got one of their top 3 choices. The most common combo that didn't get one of their top 3 involved Castle, Chads and Marys (often all 3!), and other than that was usually people wanting Bailey colleges.
Hi there,
I was wondering if Durham are likely to interview applicants, especially for the English course? Cannot find anything online about English interviews at Durham :smile:
Original post by Year12student:)
Hi there,
I was wondering if Durham are likely to interview applicants, especially for the English course? Cannot find anything online about English interviews at Durham :smile:

Durham only standardly interview for primary education or foundation applicants for undergraduate courses :smile: They may occasionally interview other applicants but that would typically be because they were a mature student or similar, as a school leaver you won't be interviewed :smile:
Reply 87
Hi :smile:
Which A-Level subjects are you doing?
Chemistry, biology, maths, English lit, physics and just finished EPQ

Which degree do you have your eyes on?
natural sciences
What’s your dream Durham college?
honestly no idea yet
Why Durham?
I really like the look of the course and it has a good reputation etc
Which other unis are you considering?

Cambridge, York, Birmingham and one of Exeter/Nottingham/Leeds
Original post by Unknownx12
1) History, English lit, Psychology and EPQ
2) Law
3) not sure but I saw a yt vid about all the colleges that I will watch later - I think john snow sounds nice
4) not in London lol but also my mentor went there and spoke highly of it
5) not rlly sure yet for now Oxbridge, Kcl, Ucl, Warwick, Bristol and Nottingham

Hiya, I'm doing the identical subjects and EPQ - I'm also thinking of law at Durham, KCL, UCL and Cambridge
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya, I'm doing the identical subjects and EPQ - I'm also thinking of law at Durham, KCL, UCL and Cambridge

oooh, how was the EPQ for you? Also, are you definitely set on Cambridge over Oxford?
I am applying to durham for 2022

which a level subjects are you doing?
Further Maths, Maths + Extended Diploma in Film where I need DDD

Visual arts and Film

What's your dream Durham College?
St Mary's

Why Durham?
I have visited the city of Durham a few times its a beautiful place where I would love to spend 3 years of my life and the degree I am applying for looks amazing

University of York, University of Salford, not made my mind up about the rest still quite early
law, criminology, sociology, spanish as well as EPQ
Criminology
not too sure yet
Why Durham?
good for my subject, good when it comes to reputation and love the city

manchester university, leicester university and southampton university, not too sure about the fifth one
Original post by Unknownx12
oooh, how was the EPQ for you? Also, are you definitely set on Cambridge over Oxford?

I enjoyed my topic but production log was a boore. and yup! visit Cambridge often and just felt the law course was more for me, in terms of modules etc :smile:
Which A level subjects are you doing?
Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, History and Spanish AS

English Literature, or English Literature with History

What's your dream college?
Either St Cuthbert's Society or Jon Snow (very different vibes)

Why Durham?
Beautiful city and a great course (particularly the joint honours one)

Oxford, Bristol, Edinburgh and York
Economics, English Literature, and History. Last year I did AS Thinking Skills, and might do AS Maths this year (I'm undecided).

BA English Literature

St Cuthbert's Society

Why Durham?
It's a really excellent university, I do like the idea of living further away from my parents (I live down south). It's a slightly more traditional English course but there are options to choose modules. Idk, I visited and it was very beautiful and rich in history, so I would be very happy to go there.

Cambridge, St Andrews, UCL, and York.
Anyone looking to share a place or know of any accommodation threads , let me know pls!
Maths, Computer Science, and Physics.

Computer Science.

Going to be honest, I have no idea. If somebody can give me some advice here that'd be appreciated.

Why Durham?
I've been around the areas of the some other unis I'm applying to but none give me the same feeling as Durham.

Oxbridge (fat chance), ICL, Leeds.
Which A level subjects are you doing?
I'm from Scotland so this year I'm doing Advanced Higher Biology, Chemistry and Statistics

Biological Sciences

What's your dream college?
Don't know yet but maybe one of the hill ones as they're closer to the science site

Why Durham?
I love the city, the biology course and the college system - also not too far away from home for me compared to most English unis

York, Glasgow, Manchester, St Andrews and Aberdeen
Reply 98
Hi!! Here's my answers:
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History
Bsc Mathematics or Mathematics with Physics (I need to decide!)
St Mary's for sure!
Why Durham?
I loved it when I visited and have cousins there, plus the course looks really good

Oxford, Warwick, UCL, Nottingham, Bristol +???
Hello! Im from America looking to apply.

Got 5s (A*) in 6 subjects

The degree I am looking at is Bsc Economics and Psychology through the Natural Sciences program.

Dream college? I like the look of the University castle but I have heard that barely any first year undergraduates actually get put in the castle. So I might just put down St. Cuthberts, since Jack Edwards went there.

Why Durham? Only a few universities offer Psychology + Economics joint degree, and Durham is one of them. I also really like the small town feel of it.

For other Unis I am also considering Edinburgh, St Andrews, UCL, and maybe Warwick.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending