ab1ga1l
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
by next week i have to decide on my subjects for S6. i currently do higher maths, higher english, higher modern studies, higher rmps and higher human biology. i hope to do law at university and have thought about maybe doing AH modern, AH rmps and maybe higher psychology but i’m not too sure. does anyone have any recommendations for subjects?
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ab1ga1l)
by next week i have to decide on my subjects for S6. i currently do higher maths, higher english, higher modern studies, higher rmps and higher human biology. i hope to do law at university and have thought about maybe doing AH modern, AH rmps and maybe higher psychology but i’m not too sure. does anyone have any recommendations for subjects?
Hey hey ab1ga1l I think those Highers you have already picked sound great. For Law applications, I'd say universities (and certainly at Strathclyde anyway) like to see 'essay-based' subjects, and you're ticking lots of boxes with the ones you have as well as the ones you're considering 2 advanced highers will be a lot of work, but if you're keen to do them and ready to put in the work then go for it! What would your other options be?
Good luck with your studies!
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Ototot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I’m doing advanced higher modern studies it’s definitely one of my favourite subjects. If your doing law I think it’ll be really useful. It is quite a big step up from higher though but once you get the hang of it, it begins to get easier. You might want to ask your school about what topic you will be studying. You could do higher history or politics if your school has it available. In 6th year I have to do 4 subjects and a lot of people do fun or easier subjects like hospitality just to give themselves a break and have fun but it really depends on your higher results
Last edited by Ototot; 1 week ago
ab1ga1l
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey hey ab1ga1l I think those Highers you have already picked sound great. For Law applications, I'd say universities (and certainly at Strathclyde anyway) like to see 'essay-based' subjects, and you're ticking lots of boxes with the ones you have as well as the ones you're considering 2 advanced highers will be a lot of work, but if you're keen to do them and ready to put in the work then go for it! What would your other options be?
Good luck with your studies!
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde
thank you so much! this has been helpful, especially since i’ve been looking into courses at strathclyde for the future
ab1ga1l
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ototot)
Hi, I’m doing advanced higher modern studies it’s definitely one of my favourite subjects. If your doing law I think it’ll be really useful. It is quite a big step up from higher though but once you get the hang of it, it begins to get easier. You might want to ask your school about what topic you will be studying. You could do higher history or politics if your school has it available. In 6th year I have to do 4 subjects and a lot of people do fun or easier subjects like hospitality just to give themselves a break and have fun but it really depends on your higher results
hey! thank you so much for your response, definitely keen on AH modern. it’s been really helpful
crayonsrcool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i have a couple questions about AH mods!

What would you say the difficulty is to achieve A marks, compared to Higher? and is the work load a lot compared to Higher?

thank you!
Ototot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by crayonsrcool)
i have a couple questions about AH mods!

What would you say the difficulty is to achieve A marks, compared to Higher? and is the work load a lot compared to Higher?

thank you!
The essays are quite a bit more difficult but I have managed to get mainly As in them. the workload is probably more than higher as when your writing your essays you need to do some of your research on top of what the teachers give you. I’d say each essay is between 2400-3000 words. One aspect I really struggle with is the source questions for some reason I just can’t get my head around them. You also have a 5000 word dissertation which will take a long time to complete and it’s a lot of research as it’s your own individual piece of work the teachers can help but it is limited. Overall I love it lol but it can be quite difficult at times if you have a really good teacher it should become more simple.
crayonsrcool
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The essays are quite a bit more difficult but I have managed to get mainly As in them. the workload is probably more than higher as when your writing your essays you need to do some of your research on top of what the teachers give you. I’d say each essay is between 2400-3000 words. One aspect I really struggle with is the source questions for some reason I just can’t get my head around them. You also have a 5000 word dissertation which will take a long time to complete and it’s a lot of research as it’s your own individual piece of work the teachers can help but it is limited. Overall I love it lol but it can be quite difficult at times if you have a really good teacher it should become more simple.
ok, thank you so much!

that is very reassuring and i hope all goes well for you with the rest of your modern studies
mspratt1
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I think AH modern and AH rmps sound good, higher politics might be useful as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (25)
13.81%
Virtual campus tours/open days (41)
22.65%
Live streaming events (16)
8.84%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (18)
9.94%
A uni comparison tool (41)
22.65%
An in-person event when available (40)
22.1%