hazelmarie_dm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...ight=DIETETICS

Hi my question is referring to the feed link I attached above, I'm not sure why it won't let me reply on there. It's relevant to Emma's thread (spraggy114 ).

'Hi Hazel,

We will fund the following Allied Health Professional courses regardless of your previous study;
• Chiropody
• Dental hygiene (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
• Dental therapy (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
• Dental hygiene and dental therapy (Joint or dual honours)
• Dietetics
• Dietetics and nutrition
• Midwifery (Degree or diploma level)
• Nursing (Degree or diploma level)
• Nursing and social work (Dual honours)
• Occupational therapy
• Operating department practice (Degree or diploma level)
• Orthoptics
• Physiotherapy
• Podiatry
• Prosthetics and Orthotics
• Radiography
• Radiotherapy
• Speech and language therapy

Thanks, Isaac'

Hi again SFE Isaac

I hope you can clarify this for me

I have attached the link to the relevant feed at the top of this post started by spraggy114

as I previously mentioned in another feed, I hold a BSc in Psychology and hope to hold a MSc in Nutrition & Behaviour.

I hope to study Dietetics in the future - either a BSc or MSc.

In my mind, Nutrition and Dietetics are separate entities - though they are related and often the fields work together, dieticians are the only people able to give health advice in a clinical setting to people who are ill. You cannot gain an nutrition qualification and then work in dietetics.

Dietetics & Nutrition / Dietetics courses are separate to pure 'nutrition' courses as they are not accredited by the British Dietetic Association (BDA)..only courses with the word 'dietetics' get you this accreditation....and you have to acquire a dietetics accreditation to be able to practice in any part of dietetics. Nutrition courses are not Allied Healthcare Courses according to SFE - 'The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course'

It was my understanding that due to the exemption rules that STF will fund the following Allied Health Professional courses regardless of your previous study e.g. even with a psychology degree and a MSc in Nutrition & Behaviour (Bournemouth University).

This feed suggests otherwise...so I am a little confused why it wasn't raised when I spoke to SFE over the phone last week. Does this mean I wouldn't be able to attain a loan if I was to pursue a BSc OR MSc in Dietetics (Allied Health Professional course) in the future.

Could you help me with this query? I thought that because I wouldn't have previously studied an allied healthcare program that I would be allowed to use SFE for a dietetics course in the future..at least that is what the phone call suggested I had with SFE. Maybe I am completely mistaken and it slipped through the net! Just trying to understand it a bit better.

If a dietetics course didn't have the word 'nutrition' in the title would that make it okay, even though all dietetics courses are very similar in order to attain the BDA accreditation?

Would studying nutrition (as mentioned by spraggy114) prevent me from getting any loan from SFE for any dietetics course? Or only dietetics course with the word 'nutrition' in them?
Last edited by hazelmarie_dm; 3 months ago
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hazelmarie_dm)
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...ight=DIETETICS

Hi my question is referring to the feed link I attached above, I'm not sure why it won't let me reply on there. It's relevant to Emma's thread (spraggy114 ).

'Hi Hazel,

We will fund the following Allied Health Professional courses regardless of your previous study;
• Chiropody
• Dental hygiene (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
• Dental therapy (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
• Dental hygiene and dental therapy (Joint or dual honours)
• Dietetics
• Dietetics and nutrition
• Midwifery (Degree or diploma level)
• Nursing (Degree or diploma level)
• Nursing and social work (Dual honours)
• Occupational therapy
• Operating department practice (Degree or diploma level)
• Orthoptics
• Physiotherapy
• Podiatry
• Prosthetics and Orthotics
• Radiography
• Radiotherapy
• Speech and language therapy

Thanks, Isaac'

Hi again SFE Isaac

I hope you can clarify this for me

I have attached the link to the relevant feed at the top of this post started by spraggy114

as I previously mentioned in another feed, I hold a BSc in Psychology and hope to hold a MSc in Nutrition & Behaviour.

I hope to study Dietetics in the future - either a BSc or MSc.

In my mind, Nutrition and Dietetics are separate entities - though they are related and often the fields work together, dieticians are the only people able to give health advice in a clinical setting to people who are ill. You cannot gain an nutrition qualification and then work in dietetics.

Dietetics & Nutrition / Dietetics courses are separate to pure 'nutrition' courses as they are not accredited by the British Dietetic Association (BDA)..only courses with the word 'dietetics' get you this accreditation....and you have to acquire a dietetics accreditation to be able to practice in any part of dietetics. Nutrition courses are not Allied Healthcare Courses according to SFE - 'The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course'

It was my understanding that due to the exemption rules that STF will fund the following Allied Health Professional courses regardless of your previous study e.g. even with a psychology degree and a MSc in Nutrition & Behaviour (Bournemouth University).

This feed suggests otherwise...so I am a little confused why it wasn't raised when I spoke to SFE over the phone last week. Does this mean I wouldn't be able to attain a loan if I was to pursue a BSc OR MSc in Dietetics (Allied Health Professional course) in the future.

Could you help me with this query? I thought that because I wouldn't have previously studied an allied healthcare program that I would be allowed to use SFE for a dietetics course in the future..at least that is what the phone call suggested I had with SFE. Maybe I am completely mistaken and it slipped through the net! Just trying to understand it a bit better.

If a dietetics course didn't have the word 'nutrition' in the title would that make it okay, even though all dietetics courses are very similar in order to attain the BDA accreditation?

Would studying nutrition (as mentioned by spraggy114) prevent me from getting any loan from SFE for any dietetics course? Or only dietetics course with the word 'nutrition' in them?
Hi, the course has to be either Dietetics or Dietetics and nutrition. If the course is only "Nutrition" then you won't be eligible for funding.

"If a dietetics course didn't have the word 'nutrition' in the title would that make it okay, even though all dietetics courses are very similar in order to attain the BDA accreditation?"

Yes you will be eligible for this.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (100)
27.32%
England (122)
33.33%
Belgium (29)
7.92%
Germany (40)
10.93%
Spain (8)
2.19%