The Student Room Group

Surrey uni vet med offer holders 2021

Hi, anyone considering firming Surrey?
Original post by Anxiety attack
Hi, anyone considering firming Surrey?

Hi!

It's great to hear you may be firming Surrey.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! Also if you would like to see Surrey from a student's perspective each week then please follow our Instagram: SurreyStudent

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
Just a bit worried whether Surrey is financially secure given all the redundancy saga before Covid. I have read the financial reports and things look tight......
Just a bit worried whether Surrey is financially secure given all the redundancy saga before Covid. I have read the financial reports and things look tight......

I think things are going to look tight at almost all universities. Most seemed to factor in the projected loss of income from EU students post Brexit but Covid-19 will have not have factored on any Uni's 5 year plan! I expect it will take years for Uni's to fully recover from this.
But Surrey has about 8 million surplus, Bristol about £54 million

Bristols surplus is 18.9 m, It's cash flow is 52 million.
Surrey's surplus is 8.7 m, it's cashflow is 65.8 million.
I am sure you have nothing to be worried about, but I wouldn't firm if their financial security is causing you anxiety. Pulling apart their financials would suggest that you are probably anxious about making this your firm choice and are looking for something to support your decision. 3/4 years is a long time to spend somewhere that you don't want to be.There was a whole ton of reasons for me to chose my firm and I have to say the Uni's financial security was way down the list - course/graduate prospects/ distance/ area/ reputation/ campus/sports...to name a few. I'm sorry you are feeling so anxious, it is a difficult decision to make. May be worth not rushing to firm and try to visit the campus before you make any decisions. Good Luck.
Thank you

To introduce myself I’m Joao, an Economics student from the University of Surrey on placement at Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) this year and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I am sure you have nothing to be worried about! The campus is lovely. Surrey is known to put a lot of emphasis on the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests’ students have and clubs for all kinds of sport that a student might want to take up. And even with covid restrictions, the union managed to organise one of the biggest covid-safe university events in the country!

During my first year, I spent a lot of time training as part of the University’s rowing team and I had amazing time there. So, if you are into sports that is something you should definitively consider.

I think this may help you.

Study and work abroad:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/student-exchanges/study-abroad

More than 140 societies and clubs to join:
https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/bulgariablog/2017/02/19/more-than-140-societies-and-clubs-to-join/

Joao
Economics
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending