Please tell us your experiences with School Direct PGCE or Uni Led PGCE!

Watch
greenercats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hey everyone,

I've been accepted at all three of my choices for my PGCE with QTS application, which I am very grateful for!
Originally I had my mind set on the uni-led course as I never thought I'd get accepted at a school direct.
I feel so torn on what to do. I'm deciding between two options,
one being a uni-led PGCE with QTS and the other a School Direct partnership programme with PGCE and QTS.

My classroom experience is relatively limited as most of my experience working with children has been in an out of school environment.
I'm not sure if the school direct will be too much straight away for me, or if the smaller group with the on-site partnership will mean I get better support than a large uni led course with 200+ students.
Through college and my BA degree I was in a smaller environment and found that worked well for me so the thought of a big university is perhaps a bit intimidating ?

The uni-led university itself is easier for me to get to, but with the SD course I'd only be in university for 14 days of the year so it feels like a silly basis to make my decision on.

I'd be expected to travel up to 90 minutes for placement on both.

What I'm really asking is what pathway did you choose, and did you like it? Would you have changed your mind if you could have and why? What were you experiences on either of these routes!

What advise would you give for someone else deciding?

I have 10 days to make my mind up :eek:
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by greenercats; 6 days ago
NeroliTenzing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I did the PGCE last year, same as you, barely any experience with children (and not in a school). Found the uni side of the PGCE an utter waste of time. You learn everything in the class, jump in!
greenercats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by NeroliTenzing)
I did the PGCE last year, same as you, barely any experience with children (and not in a school). Found the uni side of the PGCE an utter waste of time. You learn everything in the class, jump in!
Where did you go for your PGCE?

Did you get on alright being in the classroom despite having less experience? Did you do primary or secondary?
NeroliTenzing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I struggled in the first placement (had no idea even what would be expected of me!) 2nd placement was also a struggle but I had more an idea of what I was doing, it was just the timetable increased. I did primary at Durham. No matter what, your first classroom experience is going to be tough, I wish I'd had more time at it, as apart from the essays etc, the seminars (as much as the lecturers mean well) haven't had an impact. The teachers and kids did. If schools direct is the one that gives you the option of choosing the school you train in, I emphatically tell you to do that. Teachers tell you not to pick the first job you get unless you've got a gut feel for the place. With a pgce you're playing Russian roulette with how supportive the school is going to be for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (350)
31.56%
No (759)
68.44%

Watched Threads