UniquelyElegant
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi all, I am also interested in step up to social work, does anyone know how many people will be funded this cohort 7 year 2022
Millie259
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I’m not sure how many places are funded. I’m pretty sure think ahead got extra funding for more places but I don’t know about step up
indiae2306
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi I read they are looking to fund up to 700 places for the 2022 cohort
Anjum91
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by UniquelyElegant)
Hi all, I am also interested in step up to social work, does anyone know how many people will be funded this cohort 7 year 2022
Hey, I have read on their website that the bursary is around £1419 a month and the payments are depending on your region.
I have applied for the Yorkshire and Humberside region. I also have a 2 year old so I am wondering what support is available for childcare.
Sully29
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anjum91)
Hey, I have read on their website that the bursary is around £1419 a month and the payments are depending on your region.
I have applied for the Yorkshire and Humberside region. I also have a 2 year old so I am wondering what support is available for childcare.
Hi I’m last years cohort. There is no child care support, in greater Manchester anyway. Uni is in the day around 10-4. After about 2 months at uni, you are on placement, which is full time 9-4.30. Student parents had to utilise support networks, grandparents etc and did it some how through covid. The bursary is ‘our wage’ so aims to cover expenses like after school clubs etc but it’s all well and good them saying that! Parents did struggle, but everyone from my class passed. It’s a stupidly tough 14 months. But achievable if you’re resilient. We were also key workers which helped, but not relevant for 2022. Ironically I would say everyone’s kids were neglected during it (not good for children’s services 😂). But during covid, we didn’t have much choice other than stick them in front of the tv all weekend so essays could get written. Hope this is helpful? X
Millie259
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Does anyone know if the bursary in London has any London weighting? Or is it the exact same country wide? Sully29 I can imagine covid made the programme extremely difficult for all the students, considering all the challenges lockdowns bring (just one part of the pandemic!) do you mean being a keyworker helped in terms of being able to send children to school?
Are there exams? Congrats on passing!!! How has finding employment been?
Sylvie80
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, I've also applied and have 2 children under the age of 5 so am hoping there will be some way of getting childcare support. 🤞 We would start claiming the 30 free hours this summer. I was just reading about it on the government website. It seems like the main criteria for being eligible is earning at least £120 a week which we would be doing with the bursary. I'm going to email capita and the government website and will let you know the outcome. Has anyone else done this already? 🙂
Last edited by Sylvie80; 5 months ago
Millie259
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
@Sylvie80 I haven’t done this but would be really interested in hearing what response u get! I too have 2 young children. I think the difficulty with the bursary is that it doesn’t count as you being employed and instead you are counted as a student so 30 hours entitlement doesn’t apply. Which location are you applying for?
Sylvie80
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Millie259)
@Sylvie80 I haven’t done this but would be really interested in hearing what response u get! I too have 2 young children. I think the difficulty with the bursary is that it doesn’t count as you being employed and instead you are counted as a student so 30 hours entitlement doesn’t apply. Which location are you applying for?
That would be a shame. Will let you know what responses I get. I'm applying for Nottingham. How about you ?
Millie259
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think as well being a student means you don’t qualify for tax free childcare....I’m hoping there is something available! I’m applying in London. I’m wondering if there is any London weighting in the nursery depending on location or if it’s standard across England?
Sully29
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Millie259)
Does anyone know if the bursary in London has any London weighting? Or is it the exact same country wide? Sully29 I can imagine covid made the programme extremely difficult for all the students, considering all the challenges lockdowns bring (just one part of the pandemic!) do you mean being a keyworker helped in terms of being able to send children to school?
Are there exams? Congrats on passing!!! How has finding employment been?
Hiya, I’m not sure about London, I mean logically yeah you’re right. I would be lead by what your local authorities say for funding, rather than chats like this etc.
Yes, so when I was on my placement in Manchester, I was given a letter that said I was a key worker, and we could use these letters as proof for children going to school.
And yes, there is a law exam. Which you study for in the children’s module, after adults. There’s about 7 essays as well, which all go towards your final mark and whether you pass.
Finding employment was relatively easy! Usually your placement will say they want to keep you on, I wanted something more local though. Plenty of jobs, hence the DforE funding this course 🤣
Liverpoolnat82
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Sully29)
Hi I’m last years cohort. There is no child care support, in greater Manchester anyway. Uni is in the day around 10-4. After about 2 months at uni, you are on placement, which is full time 9-4.30. Student parents had to utilise support networks, grandparents etc and did it some how through covid. The bursary is ‘our wage’ so aims to cover expenses like after school clubs etc but it’s all well and good them saying that! Parents did struggle, but everyone from my class passed. It’s a stupidly tough 14 months. But achievable if you’re resilient. We were also key workers which helped, but not relevant for 2022. Ironically I would say everyone’s kids were neglected during it (not good for children’s services 😂). But during covid, we didn’t have much choice other than stick them in front of the tv all weekend so essays could get written. Hope this is helpful? X
Just wondering whether you could advise me as to holidays during the course? Do you get the normal university holidays off i.e. Easter? Or are you expected to work in your placement during this time, with the course being intensive and fast tracked?
themisstori
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hiya just wondering what date in January 2020 did you start for cohort 6?x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.32%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.58%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
18.92%

Watched Threads