Will doctor tell my parents what im doing??

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Im not 18 and take steroids. I want to talk to my doctor to get some bloodwork done to make sure there is nothing concerning going on, as from my research this is the safest approach to take. And any other tests the doctor might think are relevant

If I tell my doctor this will they keep it confidential? Because I know if they are worried im in danger they will tell my parents, so it depends whether they consider this "in danger"? help on this matter will be appreciated a lot
Anonymous #1
Btw this might sound sort of like a "troll" thread I suppose. But I just thought it best to be blunt about my situation, especially since its anonymous. I assure you I am very responsible in how I do thinks, which is why I want to talk to my doctor.
Flors
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think if you're in danger of harming yourself and others they will have to tell your parents.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Flors)
I think if you're in danger of harming yourself and others they will have to tell your parents.
But once I turn 18 that's no longer the case right? If so, I turn 18 in 7 months so I could just wait. But id prefer to get it done now to make sure there is nothing abnormal in my blood work.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
According to the GMC’s good medical practice basically doctors must respect patient confidentiality unless they believe u or someone else is in danger...
If they think the best course of action is to tell ur parents they should only do that after informing u (but they will ofc try to get ur permission first, explaining why this is necessary)
Flors
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
But once I turn 18 that's no longer the case right? If so, I turn 18 in 7 months so I could just wait. But id prefer to get it done now to make sure there is nothing abnormal in my blood work.
I mean technically yeah...but steroids are a bit of a grey area. But if you're 18, you're a legal adult so they shouldn't. But please if you are concerned go and see your doctor.
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
if you're concerned, go see a doctor, don't wait till you're 18.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Flors)
I mean technically yeah...but steroids are a bit of a grey area. But if you're 18, you're a legal adult so they shouldn't. But please if you are concerned go and see your doctor.
According to the GMC’s good medical practice basically doctors must respect patient confidentiality unless they believe u or someone else is in danger...
If they think the best course of action is to tell ur parents they should only do that after informing u (but they will ofc try to get ur permission first, explaining why this is necessary)
Ok thanks a lot for these replies And btw its not so much that im concerned, but a lot of problems related to this are only clear when its too late. So I want to closely monitor myself so if health problems pop up I will just stop then and there, or address it properly.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
Ok thanks a lot for these replies And btw its not so much that im concerned, but a lot of problems related to this are only clear when its too late. So I want to closely monitor myself so if health problems pop up I will just stop then and there, or address it properly.
not trying to stress you out but it depends on the severity, one of my friends who goes to university had an accident where she broke her leg and she had to stay in hospital for a week, the nurses lowkey kinda forced her to tell her parents even though she was a legal adult at the time.
fleury21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Flors)
No even at 18 they can still tell ur parents if there's danger to people around them, there's no age limit, a doctor's duty is to inform anyone who may be in danger as a result of OP's actions.
If there's danger to them but don't want anyone to know then I believe it's the doctor's duty to keep the information confidential
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
Or u can just stay safe and stop now, but hey ur choice
Flors
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fleury21)
No even at 18 they can still tell ur parents if there's danger to people around them, there's no age limit, a doctor's duty is to inform anyone who may be in danger as a result of OP's actions.
If there's danger to them but don't want anyone to know then I believe it's the doctor's duty to keep the information confidential
Really? I always thought as soon as your were an adult you made your own choices. Apart from in cases where it would cause harm to people around you. I said earlier any way look up
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
Im not 18 and take steroids. I want to talk to my doctor to get some bloodwork done to make sure there is nothing concerning going on, as from my research this is the safest approach to take. And any other tests the doctor might think are relevant

If I tell my doctor this will they keep it confidential? Because I know if they are worried im in danger they will tell my parents, so it depends whether they consider this "in danger"? help on this matter will be appreciated a lot
also bro if its your first cycle dont take anything other than test to see how your body reacts
Anonymous #1
also bro if its your first cycle dont take anything other than test to see how your body reacts
yeah don't worry I am, but I don't wanna be explicit on these forums lol.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
if you're concerned, go see a doctor, don't wait till you're 18.
Thats much easier said than done... I would rather keep it private.
VeritySleeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

They may recommend you tell your parents but I don't think a doctor can actually tell your parents unless you're at a severe risk of harm to yourself or others (such as suicidal thoughts) or have a disclosable condition (such as HIV), if they needed to, they would tell you first however. It seems unlikely they would tell them for this though, there are lots of conditions they won't tell your parents for.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by VeritySleeps)
They may recommend you tell your parents but I don't think a doctor can actually tell your parents unless you're at a severe risk of harm to yourself or others (such as suicidal thoughts) or have a disclosable condition (such as HIV), if they needed to, they would tell you first however. It seems unlikely they would tell them for this though, there are lots of conditions they won't tell your parents for.
Thanks. I think I may pose a hypothetical question to them on under what conditions they would be obligated to tell my parents, And then move from there.
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thats much easier said than done... I would rather keep it private.
yeah, igy, you're in a tough spot .
but just saying, its always better to be safe than sorry x
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Btw this might sound sort of like a "troll" thread I suppose. But I just thought it best to be blunt about my situation, especially since its anonymous. I assure you I am very responsible in how I do thinks, which is why I want to talk to my doctor.
How on earth are you very responsible when you are taking illicit steroids :rolleyes:
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
yeah don't worry I am, but I don't wanna be explicit on these forums lol.
my guy uno are you tryna become swole
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.94%
Virtual campus tours/open days (111)
23.17%
Live streaming events (44)
9.19%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.6%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.76%
An in-person event when available (107)
22.34%