username5620992
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello, I currently have one week until I have to pick my options. I hope to have a career in pathology or psychiatry (basically Medicine) and am unsure on which subjects I should pick. I have to do eleven GCSE's (That's grammar school and EBacc for you) and eight of them are mandatory.
My compulsory subjects are:
Maths Higher (6/7)
English Language + Literature (5/6)
Triple Science Higher (6/7 for Chemistry and Biology, 5/6 for Physics)
Religious Studies A (a 4/5 it's not my best subject)
and Latin as my compulsory language. (6/7)
I can only pick three other subjects, and I have only definitely decided on Computer Science (5/6). I don't know whether to pick between Geography (6) or History(6) or Drama(6), and unfortunately I can only do Psychology at AS/A level. Should I go with both humanities/one of them and Drama?
Essay writing and analysing are my weaker points, yet I am well informed in term of historical events and such (Not bragging, I just read a lot and watch a lot of historical materials). I enjoy all three, and I like to devise scripts and perform.
Please may you all advise me? Thank you
Last edited by username5620992; 3 months ago
Simran22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Tasmanian_Devil)
Hello, I currently have one week until I have to pick my options. I hope to have a career in pathology or psychiatry (basically Medicine) and am unsure on which subjects I should pick. I have to do eleven GCSE's (That's grammar school and EBacc for you) and eight of them are mandatory.
Maths Higher (6/7)
I can only pick three other subjects, and I have only definitely decided on Computer Science (5/6). I don't know whether to pick between Geography (6) or History(6) or Drama(6), and unfortunately I can only do Psychology at AS/A level. Should I go with both humanities/one of them and Drama?
Essay writing and analysing are my weaker points, yet I am well informed in term of historical events and such (Not bragging, I just read a lot and watch a lot of historical materials). I enjoy all three, and I like to devise scripts and perform.
If you want to study Medicine at university, you will need to have Biology and Chemistry at A-Level, so you will need at least Grade 7 at GCSE (Bio, Chem and Maths) to be able to do that. In terms of choosing between the humanities and Drama, do what you enjoy the most! History involves essays, but if you are genuinely interested in it, that shouldn't be a bother. However, if the essays really put you off, then go for Geography and Drama. It seems that you enjoy Drama, so maybe just choose between the humanities, unless you would rather keep Drama as your hobby.
Hope that helps!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Remember that history involves a lot of independent essay preparation and writing. You also need to show that you can easily research the coursework topics and make up some brief notes too. Good luck. Do not choose either history or English if you truly detest essay writing. The humanities also expect you to use your research, writing and reading skills to a reduced extent here however. Bear that in mind as you try to decide on your coursework options for the future. My first bit of advice is to trust your gut feeling as far as possible. Look at the course information booklet again and yes you should have one to read through.
username4942066
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maths Higher (6/7)
English Language Literature (5/6)
Hey Latin gang!

I’m yr 9 and I’m picking Latin too (also go to a grammar school lol). I’m also picking geography, classics and computer science. My compulsory ones are maths higher, English lit and Lang and higher triple science. I may also take Classical Greek or astronomy.
Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful in your decision just wanted to share our similar subjects!
Last edited by username4942066; 3 months ago
og-icon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maths Higher (6/7)
Do both humanities, do not do drama that is not going to help you get into medicine if you can pick both geography and history that would be great I was only able to pick 1 but you should defo pick geography and history they get on pretty well toghether
username5620992
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simran22)
If you want to study Medicine at university, you will need to have Biology and Chemistry at A-Level, so you will need at least Grade 7 at GCSE (Bio, Chem and Maths) to be able to do that. In terms of choosing between the humanities and Drama, do what you enjoy the most! History involves essays, but if you are genuinely interested in it, that shouldn't be a bother. However, if the essays really put you off, then go for Geography and Drama. It seems that you enjoy Drama, so maybe just choose between the humanities, unless you would rather keep Drama as your hobby.
Hope that helps!
Thank you very much for the advice , I am leaning more to Geography and Drama.
username5620992
Rep:
?
(Original post by Buddingdentist08)
Hey Latin gang!

I’m yr 9 and I’m picking Latin too (also go to a grammar school lol). I’m also picking geography, classics and computer science. My compulsory ones are maths higher, English lit and Lang and higher triple science. I may also take Classical Greek or astronomy.
Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful in your decision just wanted to share our similar subjects!
It's fine that you didn't advise me, I'm happier to know I'm not the only one! You're lucky, our school only does Roman classics and not Greek - but at least it's Roman myths and superstition this time. Latin gang!
myths a traditional story accepted as history; serves to explain the world view of a people More (Definitions, Synonyms, Translation)
username5620992
Rep:
?
(Original post by og-icon)
Do both humanities, do not do drama that is not going to help you get into medicine if you can pick both geography and history that would be great I was only able to pick 1 but you should defo pick geography and history they get on pretty well toghether
Thank you, but I was under the impression that a wider range of subjects makes you more..i don't know, suitable? I was thinking more about how in History I struggle with essays, and I don't have the choice to quit English. But thank you
username5620992
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Remember that history involves a lot of independent essay preparation and writing. You also need to show that you can easily research the coursework topics and make up some brief notes too. Good luck. Do not choose either history or English if you truly detest essay writing. The humanities also expect you to use your research, writing and reading skills to a reduced extent here however. Bear that in mind as you try to decide on your coursework options for the future. My first bit of advice is to trust your gut feeling as far as possible. Look at the course information booklet again and yes you should have one to read through.
Thank you very much, I looked at the specifications and I think I may go for Geography and Drama. Unfortunately my school gives me no choice on English
dani_05
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi Tasmanian_Devil, I am currently in year 11 and I do both AQA History and AQA Geography. Geography papers have a variety of questions including some short ones and then some longer 6 marks and 9 marks. On the other hand, the whole history paper basically involves essays e.g. comparing sources and interpretations and 'write an account of' an event questions.' Geography is split into physical and human geography and physical is very science based so I believe it would go well with your other sciences so my suggestion would be to take Geography. I enjoy learning about history more but geography papers are definitely easier. I personally find physical geography hard as I'm not very good at sciency subjects but it seems that won't be the case for you. Hope this helps!
Simran22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you, but I was under the impression that a wider range of subjects makes you more..i don't know, suitable? I was thinking more about how in History I struggle with essays, and I don't have the choice to quit English. But thank you
When applying for Medicine, they do not care what extra subjects you took at GCSE, as long as you have high grades. The only essential GCSE requirements are Biology, Chemistry and Maths at Grade 7 and English Language at Grade 6 (and also Bio and Chem A-Levels A/A*). Do the subjects you think you are better at so you get higher grades.
Also - research a bit about the coursework in Drama and how it is assessed, compared with History, and see which is potentially 'easier' to do well in.
I am in y13 and applied to Medicine btw
Last edited by Simran22; 3 months ago
username5620992
Rep:
?
(Original post by dani_05)
Hi Tasmanian_Devil, I am currently in year 11 and I do both AQA History and AQA Geography. Geography papers have a variety of questions including some short ones and then some longer 6 marks and 9 marks. On the other hand, the whole history paper basically involves essays e.g. comparing sources and interpretations and 'write an account of' an event questions.' Geography is split into physical and human geography and physical is very science based so I believe it would go well with your other sciences so my suggestion would be to take Geography. I enjoy learning about history more but geography papers are definitely easier. I personally find physical geography hard as I'm not very good at sciency subjects but it seems that won't be the case for you. Hope this helps!
Thank you dani_05, I have decided on Geography and Drama. It was helpful how you expanded on Geography and you explained it better than the specifications
username5620992
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simran22)
When applying for Medicine, they do not care what extra subjects you took at GCSE, as long as you have high grades. The only essential GCSE requirements are Biology, Chemistry and Maths at Grade 7 and English Language at Grade 6 (and also Bio and Chem A-Levels A/A*). Do the subjects you think you are better at so you get higher grades.
Also - research a bit about the coursework in Drama and how it is assessed, compared with History, and see which is potentially 'easier' to do well in.
I am in y13 and applied to Medicine btw
I am doing some more research but overall I think I might stick to Geography. Hope that you get accepted into Medicine and thanks so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads