BigJ4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi there
I have been accepted at 4 universities to study TV Production 2021. I have been offered places at Falmouth (unconditional), USW Cardiff Campus (unconditional), Bournemouth Arts (conditional, but achievable) and Westminster Uni Harrow Campus (conditional but achievable).

I am going round and round in circles trying to choose which one to go to. The Covid situation is making it more difficult. I have done virtual open days, but you cant get a feel of the universities doing this.

Is there anybody studying at any of these universities doing TV Production and how are you finding it? Have you even been able to get into the studios? I'm even thinking of deferring for a year, to see what happens with Covid.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
revi298
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by BigJ4)
Hi there
I have been accepted at 4 universities to study TV Production 2021. I have been offered places at Falmouth (unconditional), USW Cardiff Campus (unconditional), Bournemouth Arts (conditional, but achievable) and Westminster Uni Harrow Campus (conditional but achievable).

I am going round and round in circles trying to choose which one to go to. The Covid situation is making it more difficult. I have done virtual open days, but you cant get a feel of the universities doing this.

Is there anybody studying at any of these universities doing TV Production and how are you finding it? Have you even been able to get into the studios? I'm even thinking of deferring for a year, to see what happens with Covid.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
First of all, Congratulations on the offers. I didn't study at these 4 universities, but I studied Journalism in the past at Cardiff, which had TV Techniques/Production module.

I suggest it is better to contact the course administrator of each university, and discuss your concern. During this pandemic, I am sure we all feel very uncertain on how the 2021 academic year will run. Is it possible for face to face lecture?, and for practical training/experience?. Nobody knows. I do hope in September 2021, everybody already receives covid vaccine, universities can be opened, and with strict health protocol, in-person classes including practical training/experience can be conducted.

I have a nephew who currently studies Media Production at LJMU. He's a final year student. He also takes TV production module. Sure, he missed a number of practical experiences during his 2nd year due to the lockdown, but he's cope with the situation and learn independently with the guidance of the academic team. He finished his dissertation already and currently working on his (practical) final project (TV production/Documentary).

Which course you need to choose? I suggest you look at modules being offered at each university, which one that meet your expectation. This is optional btw, I know course accreditation (for exp. ScreenSkills accreditation) for some people means a lot, maybe you can narrow your options down based on that (if you want). Last, you can look at chances of getting involve in TV industry around the area (through internship, practical assignment from school maybe), sure you can also do that in other city during school break.

It is also okay to defer, and come back next year if you're in doubt. You can spend time taking internship, taking some related short courses, making your own portfolio (simple short film, documentary maybe).

Good luck!
BigJ4
Rep:
?
(Original post by revi298)
First of all, Congratulations on the offers. I didn't study at these 4 universities, but I studied Journalism in the past at Cardiff, which had TV Techniques/Production module.

I suggest it is better to contact the course administrator of each university, and discuss your concern. During this pandemic, I am sure we all feel very uncertain on how the 2021 academic year will run. Is it possible for face to face lecture?, and for practical training/experience?. Nobody knows. I do hope in September 2021, everybody already receives covid vaccine, universities can be opened, and with strict health protocol, in-person classes including practical training/experience can be conducted.

I have a nephew who currently studies Media Production at LJMU. He's a final year student. He also takes TV production module. Sure, he missed a number of practical experiences during his 2nd year due to the lockdown, but he's cope with the situation and learn independently with the guidance of the academic team. He finished his dissertation already and currently working on his (practical) final project (TV production/Documentary).

Which course you need to choose? I suggest you look at modules being offered at each university, which one that meet your expectation. This is optional btw, I know course accreditation (for exp. ScreenSkills accreditation) for some people means a lot, maybe you can narrow your options down based on that (if you want). Last, you can look at chances of getting involve in TV industry around the area (through internship, practical assignment from school maybe), sure you can also do that in other city during school break.

It is also okay to defer, and come back next year if you're in doubt. You can spend time taking internship, taking some related short courses, making your own portfolio (simple short film, documentary maybe).

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your response revi298, it is much appreciated!

I am going to be studying BA in Television Production at either Westminster, Bournemouth, USW Cardiff or Falmouth and they are all accredited I believe with ScreenSkills and are members of CILECT, so all very good places to study.

I'm not really sure how important the TEF ratings are as these vary on the above universities.

I'm just worried as this course is very hands on, whether I will actually get much time to learn to use the industry standard equipment, which I was very much looking forward to.

I defiantly hope everyone has had the Covid vaccine by then and things can slowly start getting back to normal, whatever that may be.

Penryn (Falmouth) uni is right on my doorstep, so this would be the easiest option for me. Just wondered if there are any students currently at these universities studying BA Television Production or even BA Film Production, to let me know how they are finding it in these times.

Thanks again
revi298
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by BigJ4)
Thank you so much for your response revi298, it is much appreciated!

I am going to be studying BA in Television Production at either Westminster, Bournemouth, USW Cardiff or Falmouth and they are all accredited I believe with ScreenSkills and are members of CILECT, so all very good places to study.

I'm not really sure how important the TEF ratings are as these vary on the above universities.

I'm just worried as this course is very hands on, whether I will actually get much time to learn to use the industry standard equipment, which I was very much looking forward to.

I defiantly hope everyone has had the Covid vaccine by then and things can slowly start getting back to normal, whatever that may be.

Penryn (Falmouth) uni is right on my doorstep, so this would be the easiest option for me. Just wondered if there are any students currently at these universities studying BA Television Production or even BA Film Production, to let me know how they are finding it in these times.

Thanks again
To be honest, I never really pay attention to the TEF ratings when choosing universities. I read somewhere, TEF is currently voluntary, some schools might have decided to not participate for some reasons. In your case, by having accreditation from ScreenSkills or being member of CILECT is sufficient to determine the quality of the course.

I understand your concerns especially on the practical training.
I agree it would be wonderful to talk to the current students. Maybe you can email the course administrator, see if they can connect you with their current students. Some courses usually have chat box on their web page, so prospective students can ask their current students.
I saw the chat box "Ask a student" here: https://www.falmouth.ac.uk/study/und...ate/television

Hope it helps!
Last edited by revi298; 7 months ago
BigJ4
Rep:
?
(Original post by revi298)
To be honest, I never really pay attention to the TEF ratings when choosing universities. I read somewhere, TEF is currently voluntary, some schools might have decided to not participate for some reasons. In your case, by having accreditation from ScreenSkills or being member of CILECT is sufficient to determine the quality of the course.

I understand your concerns especially on the practical training.
I agree it would be wonderful to talk to the current students. Maybe you can email the course administrator, see if they can connect you with their current students. Some courses usually have chat box on their web page, so prospective students can ask their current students.
I saw the chat box "Ask a student" here: https://www.falmouth.ac.uk/study/und...ate/television

Hope it helps!
Thank you again Revi298 for your response. Thats a good idea, I will certainly do that!

Many thanks for your kind help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.04%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.76%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.35%
I need help with my personal statement (86)
41.55%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
25.12%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.45%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.73%

Watched Threads