Do you miss studying in libraries and coffee shops?

Watch
GracefulNapkin102
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Would anyone be interested in zoom study sessions? I don’t mean ones led by tutors but ones where we can sit and have cameras on so we’re working together but on our own projects?

I miss working in coffee shops etc and feel like having other people there need would help to keep me focused as I know I can be seen 😂

I don’t know how it would work tbh but yea, thoughts?

Edit: for anyone interested, I found a discord server that does this exact thing called study together where you can join different types of study rooms and set goals etc, it’s actually super helpful and I recommend to anyone who likes working in those atmospheres normally!!
Last edited by GracefulNapkin102; 6 days ago

Otherdjrj
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I always thought studying in a coffee shop would be fun cus in the movies it looks cool. But then I went to one (pre COVID) and some little kid was whinging in the corner and I’m fairly certain I witnessed a break up aswell.
Zero work was done but I had more excitement in that space of time than the whole of my current time in lockdown. 10/10 would go to a coffee shop to ‘study’ again.
H4KKR
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I used to love the local coffee shop to school!! Would go there, grab a hot chocolate (I'm a weakling and don't like coffee), and just put headphones in and start revision. I liked how everyone was around me, there was activity, and it almost felt like I should be working there if that makes sense. At my desk, I watch YouTube and do other fun stuff - it doesn't feel like I should be working. I have lost so much motivation I just want to go back to a coffee shop again pleaseeeee.
GracefulNapkin102
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by H4KKR)
I used to love the local coffee shop to school!! Would go there, grab a hot chocolate (I'm a weakling and don't like coffee), and just put headphones in and start revision. I liked how everyone was around me, there was activity, and it almost felt like I should be working there if that makes sense. At my desk, I watch YouTube and do other fun stuff - it doesn't feel like I should be working. I have lost so much motivation I just want to go back to a coffee shop again pleaseeeee.
me too 😭😭😭 but!!! After writing this yesterday I found a discord server where you can join study rooms and everyone has their camera on or is sharing their screen and I’ve not been as motivated as I was yday for the ENTIRETY of lockdown... literally hop on discord it’s SO HELPFUL X
GracefulNapkin102
Rep:
?
(Original post by Otherdjrj)
I always thought studying in a coffee shop would be fun cus in the movies it looks cool. But then I went to one (pre COVID) and some little kid was whinging in the corner and I’m fairly certain I witnessed a break up aswell.
Zero work was done but I had more excitement in that space of time than the whole of my current time in lockdown. 10/10 would go to a coffee shop to ‘study’ again.
The drama is the best bit! Top tip-make friends w your barista for free drinks & gossip about the drama, I promise it’s life changing!! I used to go at like 6am-10 and 4pm-9 so it was normally only morning regulars or people stopping by in the evening but I can imagine in the day it would be so busy 😂
Seltaeb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
No cuz i never did that before lockdown can't miss what u never did
GracefulNapkin102
Rep:
?
(Original post by Seltaeb)
No cuz i never did that before lockdown can't miss what u never did
Understandable, for a lot of people it isn’t a good work environment but for an ADHD gal having stuff happening around me is super helpful and holds me accountable that I’m doing my work! Highly recommend if you find yourself getting distracted often, with people around it almost feels like you have to be getting on with work!
6lack
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
No Id never connect my personal computer to a public wifi
GracefulNapkin102
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by 6lack)
No Id never connect my personal computer to a public wifi
That’s what VPNs are for
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Nah not really. I miss no part of it.
maddylydia03
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
You got the link for the discord? x
GracefulNapkin102
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by maddylydia03)
You got the link for the discord? x
Of course! HTTPS://discord.gg/tfWKXX6A
TJ1997
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I miss studying in my old uni's library and cafe but between work, used to sit in Starbucks at Waterloo or Victoria which used to be pretty chilled. Looking forward for coffee shops to open again as they're always one of my favourite places to unwind..

Don't mind doing the discord servers stuff; are you still at school or uni?
Last edited by TJ1997; 4 days ago
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I didn't mind the Kings library, but the UCL Science Library used to turn into the Wild West around 8pm.

As for coffee shops - I used to think I liked to study in them, but then I worked out how much I was spending, and it wasn't quite so cool.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (244)
51.15%
No (233)
48.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed