Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello!

The tragic story of a cancelled year abroad

Spoiler:
Show

I am a third year university student (in Scotland so fortunately I've got a year left) but I've been struggling a huge amount this year with finding the motivation to do anything. This is especially because I was supposed to be on a year abroad this year as a language student which did no go ahead because of COVID.

Because of there being a whole third year of language students that the uni wouldn't normally have, we haven't had very many classes to compensate. I have two oral classes a week but it's not exactly the same, and since it doesn't count for anything it is very hard to remain motivated (plus having oral classes online is just a bit grim).

I am fortunate enough to study a joint degree which means that I have had some classes with my other subject. However, in realistic terms this just means that I have a single course this semester whereas abroad I was supposed to have 5 each semester... So better than others have but not as much as it should have been.

On top of this, I am currently awaiting a (very, thanks COVID) delayed operation to fix a major sports injury I gave myself in 2019. It means that most/all exercise options that are currently available I cannot do, and I used to use sport as an outlet and just for good mood, productivity feelings, etc.

What I need to do

Spoiler:
Show

With the one course that I do have, I am very far behind on everything because I just haven't done anything so far this semester. My plan is to catch up on this and then generally get my act together. Part of the issue I've had has been a lack of assessment - all of my assessment for this course is piled on top of each other in March / April so I've just been doing absolutely nothing because 'I have time'.

I also need to do some self-study to get my language level to where it needs to be for final year. I need to revise grammar, expand my vocab and I also have an online course in my target language to complete to try and emulate what I would have received at a uni abroad.

Finally, I have some units on a supplementary online course for the uni which I have to do. It's the one thing that I've actually stayed on top of this semester since it feels like it means something.

Why do a GYG?

Spoiler:
Show

Well, I've been on TSR for a while, though under a different (now deleted) account while I was at school. I'm desperately trying to find some way of motivating myself. This week I put in a suggested timetable of things to do in my calendar and while I have done more because of it, I feel like I've been slipping again in the later part of this week.

I'm someone who generally does far better at things under pressure and while I can motivate myself, I tend to respond better to motivating myself when there is a tangible result. So little of what I have to do right now seems like it matters that I need it to matter in a different way.

Therefore, create a blog, feel like I have an audience, hopefully be motivated by that.

(Or I'll have to come up with some other idea next week who knows)
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
?
Entry 1 - 19/02/21

Today I found an app that puts together your grades and predicts what you'll get as your final degree. This has actually been really helpful for trying to figure out what counts for what for my degree. Normally, it's a bit of a confusing mess with a joint degree and a year abroad to figure out what counts for what, but I think I have it sorted in my head now.

I've also ordered that fitness game on the Switch as I'm hoping that will motivate me to get a bit more active again. This should hopefully:
Strengthen the muscles around my injury to make sitting and studying less painful
Be a good break in the day
Get some dopamine flowing so that I am more motivated overall

Following my purchase I was feeling very good about things so I managed to do some studying. I have 5 chapter to catch up on for my course from the past weeks. I finished 1 today! Baby steps.

I hope that I will be able to do some more studying this weekend before going back into the uni semester. I've been chronically bad at doing anything at the weekends recently. I need to this weekend because I haven't done the studying for Monday and I would like to stay on top of it.
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
?
Entry 2 - 20/02

I have now read three more chapters to catch up, so four in total. I just have one more to go now and I'll have done the reading from the first half of this semester. I think I'll then have a look at the tutorial work I haven't done and decide what I do and don't have to do based on what the assessments are on (no exams because COVID).

I've been listening to all the Assassin's Creed music which is, for some reason, the only music that can get me in the mindset for studying. You have no idea how many times I listened to this in December.

My Switch arrived today too! I was cautiously hyped for it's arrival as I was slightly concerned it wouldn't live up to expectations. But I did my first workout with the Ring Fit and it was tough. I am really going to aim to keep this as a good habit and build up my strength etc as previously mentioned.

I will do the work for Monday tomorrow and not Monday morning.
Last edited by BrutusofBritain; 1 week ago
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
?
Entry 3 - 21/02

Today has mostly been a day of playing on the Switch. But, that's out of my system now!

I did start reading my final catch-up chapter but that turned out to be really in depth about a topic I may do my final essay on, so I have left it for a time where I can continue going through it in more depth.

So I guess I didn't study at all today. Oh well.

Tomorrow, after work, will be the biggest test of me trying to get my act together. If I can actually manage to study all afternoon for once, it would be amazing.
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
?
Entry 4 - 22/02

Not much to report today. I did manage to do a reading - though it's the one for next week so that doesn't help me catch up. Either way it's still the topic I'll likely do my essay on so that is positive at least.

I will have more to report tomorrow!
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 hours ago
Entry 5 - 01/03

Unfortunately I have spent the past few days being a bit unwell so I haven't got anything done. However, a new week has begun and I'm feeling better now, so important things to do!

My first things to target are as follows:

I have three readings to do (this week's and two from the future) so that I can get a good, informed start on my next assignment.

I have a 100 word proposal to do that I had forgotten about which is my next 'deadline' though it doesn't count for grades beyond influencing what I can write the thing that does count on!

I obviously want to do more than just that this week but that is my starting point to get me going again after this extended break. :rolleyes:
BrutusofBritain
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 50 minutes ago
Entry 6 - 01/03

Today I read half of my first article, about 30 pages. It's really interesting stuff so I'm looking forward to doing the assessments for the course as that will give me a solid purpose to do the work for. I am aiming to finish the article and read the second one tomorrow.

Ideally I'll take a look at my 100 word proposal too. We had some results back today and I was solidly in 2:1 territory but it just made me wonder about whether I'm going to regret not dedicating myself more to uni. It's just very difficult to do at the moment, and I much preferred working full-time over the summer to being at uni. But at the same time, I have not tried as much as I could on any of the essays I've handed in (main essays, I've worked way to hard on some smaller ones...) and yet I've managed to stick in 2:1 territory. It makes me wonder what I could be doing if I actually gave myself enough time to do everything.

I think this Semester will really be my opportunity to try and dedicate myself to my assignments a bit more and start them early due to lack of exams and also courses. I just worry that I'm happily coasting this year which will make next year way harder, or I'll continue to coast next year too and drop my grades massively. I don't know. I worked too much at GCSE and gradually declined in motivation since then...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (595)
49.21%
No (614)
50.79%

Watched Threads