unkownk
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m 18 years old, I live with my single mum who’s not working and has 5 kids in total. Although only 3 off us live at home with mum. I have a part time job as I live in the middle off know where and my job is walking distance. I make £300 a month but it changes a lot sometimes I make £250. My mum charges me £100 for the rent as are house isn’t owned. But now she’s saying she wants another £100. How am I supposed to afford £200??No, I can’t get a full time job due to my mums car is always broke and she won’t give me lifts. There’s no transportation to get to a full time job, along with this if I work full time I will have to pay for every bill in my home, as I’m the only one who works in my home. So this will leave me with barely any money. What am I supposed to do. I can’t even save for a car. Also I’ve been paying for everything my self since I got this job, everything I have I’ve brought myself. She doesn’t buy me anything and hasn’t for years. (Edited) Im not in eduction as I said before There isn’t much near me, when I was back in school there was a school bus that was part off the school that took me, part from that there is no other transportation
Last edited by unkownk; 1 week ago
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you buy your own food? And what do you do with the rest of the money?
unkownk
Rep:
?
Sometimes I do, I cook my own food as my mum doesn’t like to cook, so if there food in I’ll make something but If not I’ll usually have to order something or buy food from the shop to last me and few days or week or 2 and the rest off my money I’m saving for driving
(Original post by MedicWil)
Do you buy your own food? And what do you do with the rest of the money?
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You do not have to give any of your paycheck to financially support your mother or pay bills in her name.
Is she receiving child maintainence support and welfare benefits? :confused:
Are you a full time student who is also working part time?

If you want to help out with the household shopping, that is fine.
But don't agree to anything that leaves you out of pocket and unable to save anything from your monthly employment income.
unkownk
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
You do not have to give any of your paycheck to financially support your mother or pay bills in her name.
Is she receiving child maintainence support and welfare benefits? :confused:
Are you a full time student who is also working part time?

If you want to help out with the household shopping, that is fine.
But don't agree to anything that leaves you out of pocket and unable to save anything from your monthly employment income.
I did want to go back into eduction, but where I live is a nightmare and it’s such a struggle as there’s no collages near me or anything, so I just left and got my little job as that was the only thing near me. And ever since I’ve been trying to get my money up to get a car and to be able to drive to a better job. So my mum doesn’t get child benefit from me. She says I have to pay £80 to the council for living here and she takes £20 to put towards shopping or something. But now she wants another £100
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by unkownk)
I did want to go back into eduction, but where I live is a nightmare and it’s such a struggle as there’s no collages near me or anything, so I just left and got my little job as that was the only thing near me. And ever since I’ve been trying to get my money up to get a car and to be able to drive to a better job. So my mum doesn’t get child benefit from me. She says I have to pay £80 to the council for living here and she takes £20 to put towards shopping or something. But now she wants another £100
Is your name on the council tax bill or tenancy agreement?
Have you received any letters from the council?
unkownk
Rep:
?
Is your name on the council tax bill or tenancy agreement?
Have you received any letters from the council?
I haven’t personally but my mum apparently had a letter claiming that I needed to pay rent money as I’m 18 or something. Obviously I don’t really understand all that sort off stuff so I just assumed thats right but she’s always wanting to take money off me and calls me a bad person for not “paying her enough” after all the years she spent money, even tho I’ve brought her so much stuff since I worked
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I haven’t personally but my mum apparently had a letter claiming that I needed to pay rent money as I’m 18 or something. Obviously I don’t really understand all that sort off stuff so I just assumed thats right but she’s always wanting to take money off me and calls me a bad person for not “paying her enough” after all the years she spent money, even tho I’ve brought her so much stuff since I worked
If you have not seen any letter on official letterheaded paper, do consider the possibility that your mother may be trying to trick you in order to increase her income.
The council would write to you if they wanted to bill you or add you to a council tenancy.
They would not send your mother a letter asking her to collect their rent from you.

If your mother receives income support, housing benefit or UC- there is a risk that the money that she receives from you could be viewed as monthly rental income that affect her eligibility for welfare benefits and must be notified to the local council or DWP.
For council tenants receiving housing benefit whose tenancies forbid subletting any part of their home without landlord permission, doing so can risk a criminal conviction and the landlord ending the tenancy then evicting.
Last edited by londonmyst; 1 week ago
unkownk
Rep:
?
If you have not seen any letter on official letterheaded paper, do consider the possibility that your mother may be trying to trick you in order to increase her income.
The council would write to you if they wanted to bill you or add you to a council tenancy.
They would not send your mother a letter asking her to collect their rent from you.

If your mother receives income support, housing benefit or UC- there is a risk that the money that she receives from you could be viewed as monthly rental income that affect her eligibility for welfare benefits and must be notified to the local council or DWP.
For council tenants receiving housing benefit whose tenancies forbid subletting any part of their home without landlord permission, doing so can risk a criminal conviction and the landlord ending the tenancy then evicting
Do you think this could be the case? Do they defiantly send me a letter if I have to pay rent? or any sort off money. I’m worried it is, and I’m worried to Ask her. Also about the part with my mum receiving income support what did you mean by all that Lol I’m awful at this stuff
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you think this could be the case? Do they defiantly send me a letter if I have to pay rent? or any sort off money. I’m worried it is, and I’m worried to Ask her. Also about the part with my mum receiving income support what did you mean by all that Lol I’m awful at this stuff
I think that your mother is trying to scam money from you and this may be her habit.
If the local council wanted to add you to your mother's tenancy or any of the related bills they would send you a letter.
To add you to a tenancy, you would have to sign the tenancy agreement agreeing to pay the rent and abide by the tenancy rules .

Some welfare benefits including income support and housing benefit are only paid when all income is below the maximum amount.
If the monthly income is higher, the benefit stops and the DWP can investigate years of finances to check for benefit fraud.
All your mother's income includes: cash welfare benefits, child support from exes, monthly rent for any rooms & part of the home, earnings from any jobs or part time employment that she has done.
unkownk
Rep:
?
I think that your mother is trying to scam money from you and this may be her habit.
If the local council wanted to add you to your mother's tenancy or any of the related bills they would send you a letter.
To add you to a tenancy, you would have to sign the tenancy agreement agreeing to pay the rent and abide by the tenancy rules .

Some welfare benefits including income support and housing benefit are only paid when all income is below the maximum amount.
If the monthly income is higher, the benefit stops and the DWP can investigate years of finances to check for benefit fraud.
All your mother's income includes: cash welfare benefits, child support from exes, monthly rent for any rooms & part of the home, earnings from any jobs or part time employment that she has done.
I possibly think this too but she shown me emails and screenshots off the money i have to pay and i asked her why I didn’t get a letter sent to me and she said it’s because it’s her house so she gets the letters/Emails
MedicWil
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Looks like it’s the dreaded bedroom tax
Because you’re 18, she’s now classed as having an extra bedroom due to you becoming classed as a non-dependent.
Due to that, her housing benefit would of been reduced by a certain amount which is what I think she’s asking you to now pay instead.
I’m also guessing that your mum has declared to the council that you’re living at the property for purposes of council tax, which you are legally liable for now you are 18, and if so then your name will be on the council tax letters too. With regards to council tax, you can apply for council tax benefit on the basis of low income though so at least it would deal with that part of it
Last edited by MedicWil; 1 week ago
MedicWil
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You’re not considering that she’s probably informed the council tax department that he’s living there which doesn’t require his permission to add him to the bill. Also council tax is a household account rather than a per-person account which means one letter is sent to the household rather than one to each person.
The easy way for him to be able to tell either way is to see whether the latest council tax bill is addressed to his mum and him, or just to his mum
gilesking0987
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I’m 18 years old, I live with my single mum who’s not working and has 5 kids in total. Although only 3 off us live at home with mum. I have a part time job as I live in the middle off know where and my job is walking distance. I make £300 a month but it changes a lot sometimes I make £250. My mum charges me £100 for the rent as are house isn’t owned. But now she’s saying she wants another £100. How am I supposed to afford £200??No, I can’t get a full time job due to my mums car is always broke and she won’t give me lifts. There’s no transportation to get to a full time job, along with this if I work full time I will have to pay for every bill in my home, as I’m the only one who works in my home. So this will leave me with barely any money. What am I supposed to do. I can’t even save for a car. Also I’ve been paying for everything my self since I got this job, everything I have I’ve brought myself. She doesn’t buy me anything and hasn’t for years. (Edited) Im not in eduction as I said before There isn’t much near me, when I was back in school there was a school bus that was part off the school that took me, part from that there is no other transportation
this ladies and gentlemen, is why a mother should not have 5 kids alone while not working, insane, leave her and live your own life, get a full time job
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (593)
49.58%
No (603)
50.42%

Watched Threads