Is economics a useless degree

Watch
HomelyInaccuracy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I know an MBA degree doesn’t do much to help with the changing times but what about an economics degree
zxvs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s useful insofar as helping you in understanding the mechanisms that make the economy work, and also grappling with a basic history of economics in the world. And it’ll definitely help you land a job in any finance/policy related career if that’s what your question was focused towards.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In terms of what? Career prospects? Your thread is too vague and useless without further context.
HomelyInaccuracy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
In terms of what? Career prospects? Your thread is too vague and useless without further context.
In every aspect you can think of
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by HomelyInaccuracy)
In every aspect you can think of
Every aspect I can think of? You didn't take any time or effort to offer your view so I'm not gonna waste my time either.

This is the D&CA section, stop misusing it for your homework.
HomelyInaccuracy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Every aspect I can think of? You didn't take any time or effort to offer your view so I'm not gonna waste my time either.

This is the D&CA section, stop misusing it for your homework.
It isn’t my homework but thank you for your time
HomelyInaccuracy
Rep:
?
I want to start my business one day and I need to know as much as I can do that I don’t have to pay as many people when I am starting off. Will economics help with that?
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You dont need an economics degree to run a business if that is what your asking.
Will it help you not having to hire people? Probably not. But it depends on the type of business lol.

Learning economics is not useless. You learn things that may seem useless but it gives you a greater understanding of the subject. Whereas if you just self teach everything, you tend to only learn what you feel need to know. You dont get that wider knowledge.
Also you dont get the connections either.
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by HomelyInaccuracy)
I want to start my business one day and I need to know as much as I can do that I don’t have to pay as many people when I am starting off. Will economics help with that?
As adam271 said a degree in economics isn't a necessity for running a company. An economics degree won't instantly make you the world's best businessman (or businesswoman). That comes from experience which is often best gained by working for somebody else for a period of time and learning the ropes before venturing off and creating your own business. An economics degree will likely help you land a job and gain that experience.

Personally I'd recommend studying for an economics or business degree and working somewhere for at least the first five years of your career (depending on what you intend on doing). Running your own company from day one is risky. It could easily go bust, bankrupt you and cause you a world of problems if you're inexperienced. Having that degree opens your options to work elsewhere if worst case scenario does happen.
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It depends - if you want to become an entrepreneur, I don't think any degree is going to suffice. Some may teach you a few skills here and there but by and large entrepreneurship is not something that's easily taught.

Where economics is useful as a degree, besides the usual "transferable" skills a degree offers, is in the numerical skillset, as well as the commercial acumen, it confers. It's a very logic-heavy discipline. You'll get out of it what you put into it, but IMO it's one of the least "useless" degrees out there and the skills it develops are in high demand by employers.
qwert7890
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes, it's as useless as that mini-pocket you have within your pocket (just kidding, sorry )
HomelyInaccuracy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What about industrial engineering
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (73)
11.81%
Virtual campus tours/open days (151)
24.43%
Live streaming events (51)
8.25%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
8.9%
A uni comparison tool (145)
23.46%
An in-person event when available (143)
23.14%