Choosing between two Creative Writing Masters that seem amazing

Watch
aventurera
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Alright, international student here, and I'm in need of some insight/advice!

I've been wanting to do a Masters in Creative Writing for quite some time now (I've been in the workforce for about 7 years since my undergrad) and decided to finally do it. Yeah, yeah, I know all the cautions about creative degrees, but this is something I've thought a lot about that I really want to do.

So, I've done my research, and have applied to two schools that really excite me for different reasons. To be honest I'd be happy to go to either, but I can't figure out which one I want to jump at. If there are any past or present students in either program who can speak to their experience in the program, attending either school, or living in either area, I'd absolutely love your thoughts.

They are:

- Warwick (I've received an offer already)
Initially I hadn't heard of them in my country. But I've learned that their writing programme is well regarded, and I spoke with faculty and was quite impressed. In terms of the writing I want to do and the courses offered, I think it's an incredible match and I'd be really supported. So I have no issue with the course itself. The thing is...I've never been to the area. Nor am I altogether sure that I want to be on a campus university. Did that in undergrad, not sure I want to do it again. I'm okay with the university being in the countryside, but I also don't love the idea of having to commute by bus from Leamington Spa or Kenilworth. If you're in residence, do they pair the postgrads with other postgrads? With this school it's a case of "Love everything about the faculty and program, not sure about the rest"

- Edinburgh (waiting to hear)
Edinburgh was initially my hands-down only choice. I've been to Edinburgh, and I absolutely love it and would love the opportunity to attend school there. As a writer, the location is entirely up my alley, and Edinburgh is a world-class university with more recognition in North America. However...in terms of the actual course, I hesitate a little. Yes, writing will happen, but I'm not fully convinced about how it'll help my longer term goals. It seems like there are more Creative Writing students than at Warwick, and things are a bit more general? I've traded emails with some of the faculty who've answered all my questions, but I'm still a bit doubtful. Nor has Edinburgh had a ton written about its Creative Writing program—there isn't much when it's googled, and I haven't managed to find a lot about alumni. I suppose I'm wondering what are typical workshops/events that the writer in residence organizes in the course? Do many writing students get involved with outside city events? It's Edinburgh, so I know in non-pandemic times there's a lot more going on to take part in. Really, this option is an example of how important location is. And since I've been there, I can actually say that I know I love the place enough to live there a year.

Ultimately both programmes are valuable to me and would provide a great experience. I just want to figure out which one would provide me with the greater benefit. It is a Creative Writing degree, which I am well aware that you don't need to be successful. As such, I want to make sure that I get something out of postgrad that I couldn't get on my own. They both give me something, and I'm conflicted about what I want more.

Obviously, if Edinburgh doesn't accept me, that makes it really easy to say yes to Warwick. But if they do...well, clearly I'm already agonizing over it. It'd be really hard to turn down either of them. So any thoughts or talk about your experience with either school is really appreciated!
crrs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I unfortunately don't have any good advice, but I'm wondering the same thing! I've got an offer from Edinburgh for Msc Creative Writing, and a few other options in English Lit (and am waiting on word from some US MFAs), and I'm trying to find more info about the program itself :/ I can't find a whole lot about the degree, but the gist I've got is that it's fairly new, Edinburgh is a great city to just hang out and write in, and the English department itself is really well-ranked? So it seems like an all around ok choice, but I'd love to know if anyone else has any insight!!
aventurera
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by crrs)
I unfortunately don't have any good advice, but I'm wondering the same thing! I've got an offer from Edinburgh for Msc Creative Writing, and a few other options in English Lit (and am waiting on word from some US MFAs), and I'm trying to find more info about the program itself :/ I can't find a whole lot about the degree, but the gist I've got is that it's fairly new, Edinburgh is a great city to just hang out and write in, and the English department itself is really well-ranked? So it seems like an all around ok choice, but I'd love to know if anyone else has any insight!!
Congratulations! Just wondering, how long did it take you to hear from them? Trying to figure out how long it might be for me...
crrs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by aventurera)
Congratulations! Just wondering, how long did it take you to hear from them? Trying to figure out how long it might be for me...
I applied pretty early (mid-October I think?), and they got back to me early December, but I'm pretty sure they do whatever they want at their own pace, so it's all kind of a big question mark. Fingers crossed though! And congrats on Warwick!!
mike23mike
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well the Guardian good uni guide has Warwick ranked at 17th and Edinburgh at 34th so your hunch is right - Warwick is the better department. However, have a look at the list since there are better creative writing schools than Warwick.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.94%
Virtual campus tours/open days (111)
23.17%
Live streaming events (44)
9.19%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.6%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.76%
An in-person event when available (107)
22.34%