The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Advice on Aberystwyth or Cardiff University?

Hi there!
I'm currently a year 13 student in the process of deciding on whether I will attend Aberystwyth or Cardiff University come this September - I currently hold an offer from each. At the moment I am torn between which university I would most like to attend as I like the look of them both. For me, the course content and study abroad opportunities are most important, so I am slightly swaying towards being in favour of Aber. I have also made pros and cons lists for each uni, but not even that has helped me narrow down my decision :frown: . A major issue for me is that with no in-person open days I worry that I could be making the wrong decision for myself, as well as for my future, should I come not to like it as much as I thought I would.
I was just wondering if there were any present or past students from either university that could shed some light on what studying there is actually like? Also, if anyone could possibly tell me what the study abroad opportunities or law departments are like I would appreciate that massively too :smile:
Thank you so much for your time!! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there!
I'm currently a year 13 student in the process of deciding on whether I will attend Aberystwyth or Cardiff University come this September - I currently hold an offer from each. At the moment I am torn between which university I would most like to attend as I like the look of them both. For me, the course content and study abroad opportunities are most important, so I am slightly swaying towards being in favour of Aber. I have also made pros and cons lists for each uni, but not even that has helped me narrow down my decision :frown: . A major issue for me is that with no in-person open days I worry that I could be making the wrong decision for myself, as well as for my future, should I come not to like it as much as I thought I would.
I was just wondering if there were any present or past students from either university that could shed some light on what studying there is actually like? Also, if anyone could possibly tell me what the study abroad opportunities or law departments are like I would appreciate that massively too :smile:
Thank you so much for your time!! :smile:

I'm a current final year student at Cardiff and my brother started in Aberystwyth this September (so I attended an open day, visited a few times and helped my brother move in!). I would first say that the two universities are completely different, Cardiff is huge by comparison, not campus so far more spread out across the city and feels much more like you are part of the city as opposed to being in a student bubble. In Aberystwyth the uni and accommodation complex almost feel like it's own village separate from the town which actually makes it feel super homely and safe, unlike Cardiff. Aberystwyth is also a much smaller uni with less students, so the feel that I got from the open day (and hearing my brother's experience) was that it's a much more supportive environment than Cardiff. On the downside Aberystwyth itself is tiny, I think there's two clubs and not many pubs and everythings down a big hill from the university, by contrast Cardiff has literally everything you need within walking distance. Aberystwyth is somewhere I could never have imagined myself going to university but my brother adores it (he's super laid back so sleepy seaside town suits him so much better than a bustling city).

I have no experience of either law department, but the study abroad options at Cardiff seemed really good (everyone I knew that wanted one did manage to go, albeit this was pre-Brexit).

I would say have a think about what you want, do you want to be super close to everything you could need and in the thick of the city or do you want a more laid back and quiet student experience and chose based on that!
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
For anyone reading this, I would pick Aberystwyth for the place. Aberystwyth is a nice town, homely feel and the Victorian architecture is lovely, and the seaside area is very nice, in the warmer months paddle-boarding and canoeing and swimming is very popular, and popular student culture is bonfire nights on the pebbled beach socializing and playing frizbee and having a barbecue etc. Also the surrounding area is amazing for nature lovers. There is a small hill in Aberystwyth itself called Pen Dinas hill which is a nice casual stroll. It is within walking distance of the university accommodation, as is the whole town, which is very nice. Cardiff is very overrated - average city at best and is very depressing of a city. Also there is a sense of campus in Aberystwyth and the campus is very pleasant and very green, whereas Cardiff has a city spread out campus with no greenery. In terms of which university is best, that depends on each subject. I know journalism in Cardiff is meant to be amazing - 2nd in the UK as of 2022 I believe. But for Politics for example, Aberystwyth is much better and is renowned for being very high quality. Generally Aberystwyth ranks higher than Cardiff in university tables.

Cardiff has a slightly livelier night scene, though Aberystwyth is a good vibe at night as the nightlife is packed into a confined area whereas in Cardiff the pubs and clubs are very spread out so it lacks the atmosphere Aberystwyth has.

Quick Reply

Latest