RoMoMum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello
Our son is going to uni later this year. He has severe OCD and anxiety. We will apply for DSA as he will need his own room with en-suite and in catering halls because of his compulsions.

Is there anywhere else he can get financial support? All suggestions are welcome- thanks in advance.
Yewfelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RoMoMum)
Hello
Our son is going to uni later this year. He has severe OCD and anxiety. We will apply for DSA as he will need his own room with en-suite and in catering halls because of his compulsions.

Is there anywhere else he can get financial support? All suggestions are welcome- thanks in advance.
Ah, just one thing you should be aware of, the DSA does not cover accommodation requirements. It can only be used to pay for external helpers and such. It's b******, but that's the Tories for you. It's designed to discourage disabled students as much as possible, there's a reason 60% of em don't apply for it. Generally, it's more hassle than it's worth - student loans are a better bet.
Beaconsman
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Yewfelle)
Ah, just one thing you should be aware of, the DSA does not cover accommodation requirements. It can only be used to pay for external helpers and such. It's b******, but that's the Tories for you. It's designed to discourage disabled students as much as possible, there's a reason 60% of em don't apply for it. Generally, it's more hassle than it's worth - student loans are a better bet.
Hi there, Im slightly different in that i am 48 and a disabled veteran. I tried an LLB (Law) at a uni which was an hours drive each way. I just didnt get on with uni at all and the facilities were appalling for my conditions. Anyway, I applied for DSA and a ML as I couldn't travel to (meds) anymore so after initially applying in August 2020, my DSA equipment came through from a 2018 assessment (because Left and went back to the OU) and my ML came through a week ago..my advice is apply NOW for DSA so you have the assessment and study needs report ready to go and apply for the funding for whatever you can get..I have only just got my desk and chair (AS sufferer) with DDD so my time study time is limited...I will help you as much as I can if you need advice..Ive been through the whole process. DO NOT GIVE UP! is my advice...SFE can be a complete nightmare, and bordering on the wrong side of the Equality Act 2010...
RoMoMum
Rep:
?
Thank you - I’ve been reading about how difficult it is to get the funding but every little helps!
Thanks so much for your guidance.
Yewfelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you - I’ve been reading about how difficult it is to get the funding but every little helps!
Thanks so much for your guidance.
I would recommend getting in contact with the university to see if you can negotiate reduced fees on the accommodation. Worth a shot.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Financial support is mostly from PIP, DSA doesn't provide financial support in that respect. It just reimburses you in certain areas.
RoMoMum
Rep:
?
Sorry but I’m not up on the acronyms ... Pip?
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sorry but I’m not up on the acronyms ... Pip?
Personal Independence Payments.
RoMoMum
Rep:
?
Just looked it up. Thanks - will look into it
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just looked it up. Thanks - will look into it
Will say though, it's incredibly difficult to get PIP. Is your son under the care of CAMHS? What sort of treatment is he currently receiving for his OCD?
RoMoMum
Rep:
?
Yes he was with CAHMS for years but as he’s turned 18 they no longer treat him. He has weekly therapy and daily medication.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (481)
51.78%
No (448)
48.22%

Watched Threads