The Student Room Group

GCSEs 2021 - Mocks?

As the government have 'cancelled' exams this year, I get the impression it's up to schools to decide on how they are going to assess us (I'm in Year 11). My school has decided to do a full two weeks of mocks with full-length exams all day when we go back, and I sort of feel like there's basically no change for us this year because the mocks will be the main element that counts towards our grade and the whole process of doing the mocks will be like it would have been if we did real GCSEs! I was just wondering if most of you are having mocks too because I've heard some schools aren't, which I don't think is fair!
(edited 3 years ago)
i already did them back in jan over 3 weeks, it was stressful as i wanted to do my best as it was kinda like these are the exams that will basically determine my grade. I did crap in English cause i didn't finish, and well everything else, which was kinda stressful, but i can only hope for the best.

and i do say it isn't fair, it makes us more suffocated into doing best for these ones, rather than putting your knowledge to the test to see how much you've improved
Reply 2
Original post by arraychemical12
i already did them back in jan over 3 weeks, it was stressful as i wanted to do my best as it was kinda like these are the exams that will basically determine my grade. I did crap in English cause i didn't finish, and well everything else, which was kinda stressful, but i can only hope for the best.

and i do say it isn't fair, it makes us more suffocated into doing best for these ones, rather than putting your knowledge to the test to see how much you've improved

In January? Were you in school then?! Yeah I think it's so stressful...I would rather have more smaller tests because it's so tiring having to do exams all day every day. But I guess it's good practice because we'll have to do it for A levels. At least I know our school is not the only one doing mocks! But I think it's so unfair how each school can sort of choose their own way - grades won't really be comparable.
We had our mocks in November and I did alright overall, I managed to pass everything but we're having another set of mocks for all subjects after a couple of weeks when we come back.

I'm finding it hard to motivate myself at home and I'm scared I'm going to majorly flop these ones and bring down my grade since they hold so much importance in deciding our final grade, I barely passed in maths and french.

My lack of motivation aside, it kinda feels like we're simply taking our GCSEs earlier since our mocks are basically gonna be our final grade.

We'll just have to see how things pan out. This whole situation sucks for everyone but it's not like I can just tell the virus to piss off :blow:
Original post by ag43
In January? Were you in school then?! Yeah I think it's so stressful...I would rather have more smaller tests because it's so tiring having to do exams all day every day. But I guess it's good practice because we'll have to do it for A levels. At least I know our school is not the only one doing mocks! But I think it's so unfair how each school can sort of choose their own way - grades won't really be comparable.

oop yes in January but online!! on some disabled platform called exam.net, which made it even worse if you had **** internet, or were struggling to type out your maths working out. Plus if you had another monitor it was so annoying when scrolling down, or accidentally clicking on the search button on your keyboard as it kept locking you of the exam in suspense of 'cheating' . Rubbish honestly.
Reply 5
Oh ok! It must have been easy to cheat then I guess if you had books next to you or something though? We're all in the same boat anyway, hopefully we'll get the grade we deserve which is the most important!
Reply 6
So are your 'mini' tests full exam papers then if you say they are mocks? Yeah absolutely agree, what's the point of them being cancelled if we still have exams! It's even making it even more unfair because schools can assess differently and we are not compared nationally! Yes will be interesting to find out what they have to say on the 22nd.

Quick Reply

Latest