What is something students need in their first year?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Are there any products you had wished you brought to university with you, for example?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Are there any products you had wished you brought to university with you, for example?
Hi!

There are obvious things like kitchen stuff, but some of these things are worth bringing:
Use plastic cups, not glass as they're more likely to break
A doorstop to keep your bedroom door open
Pictures from home and decoration
fairy lights are such a good idea
check if your halls provide you with a lamp
air freshener for your room
Stock up on toiletries before you arrive, as these can be a big expense in your budget
Sports equipment if you decide to join a sports team
a spare towel - my uni is near the beach but it's nice to have to sit on when you go to the park etc
don't forget clothes hangers
one or two extension cables
fancy dress - useful for society/sports nights out

A tip is to sit in your room and have a look round at everything and consider whether you would need to bring it with you. This just helps to visualise.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hey Anonymous

I made a list of what I was going to take to uni at the beginning of the summer, so it's good that you're starting to prepare now Make a list of the essentials you'll need, you may find this link helpful:

https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus...d/whattobring/

As University of Portsmouth Student Rep mentioned a doorstop is useful for your bedroom door and clothes hangers as these often aren't provided in halls. Extension cables are also a good idea as you don't know where your bedside table is in relation to your bed. I made my room more homely by hanging up pictures and a few little things I had on my desk like my lamp and pictures of family and friends.

Good luck with the packing

Melissa- Student Ambassador
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi there,

I thought I would reach out to you, as I was googling the exact same thing before I moved to Liverpool!
The best piece of advice I can give you is to not 'over' pack! I know it sounds silly, but by the end of the first uni year you'll be thinking - 'I never used this! (something that happened to me ALL the time!). I think you forget that anything you need, you are able to go and buy once you do go to Uni (presuming you are moving ).

But, saying that, some of my essentials were definitely pictures from home. I loved having them all up on my wall of my friends and family, so whenever I was having a bad day I can look up at my wall and feel a lot better .

Happy packing!

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

There are obvious things like kitchen stuff, but some of these things are worth bringing:
Use plastic cups, not glass as they're more likely to break
A doorstop to keep your bedroom door open
Pictures from home and decoration
fairy lights are such a good idea
check if your halls provide you with a lamp
air freshener for your room
Stock up on toiletries before you arrive, as these can be a big expense in your budget
Sports equipment if you decide to join a sports team
a spare towel - my uni is near the beach but it's nice to have to sit on when you go to the park etc
don't forget clothes hangers
one or two extension cables
fancy dress - useful for society/sports nights out

A tip is to sit in your room and have a look round at everything and consider whether you would need to bring it with you. This just helps to visualise.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
(Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)
Hey Anonymous

I made a list of what I was going to take to uni at the beginning of the summer, so it's good that you're starting to prepare now Make a list of the essentials you'll need, you may find this link helpful:

https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus...d/whattobring/

As University of Portsmouth Student Rep mentioned a doorstop is useful for your bedroom door and clothes hangers as these often aren't provided in halls. Extension cables are also a good idea as you don't know where your bedside table is in relation to your bed. I made my room more homely by hanging up pictures and a few little things I had on my desk like my lamp and pictures of family and friends.

Good luck with the packing

Melissa- Student Ambassador
(Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep)
Hi there,

I thought I would reach out to you, as I was googling the exact same thing before I moved to Liverpool!
The best piece of advice I can give you is to not 'over' pack! I know it sounds silly, but by the end of the first uni year you'll be thinking - 'I never used this! (something that happened to me ALL the time!). I think you forget that anything you need, you are able to go and buy once you do go to Uni (presuming you are moving ).

But, saying that, some of my essentials were definitely pictures from home. I loved having them all up on my wall of my friends and family, so whenever I was having a bad day I can look up at my wall and feel a lot better .

Happy packing!

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Thank you so much! Will definitely take all your tips into consideration.
Kelivesy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Command strips are essential for sticking things up as you aren’t allowed to make marks on the walls. Over door hangers are also great. A decent can opener is essential. The cheap one from IKEA just doesn’t cut the mustard. Mattress protector for your bed so you aren’t sleeping with every man and his dogs bodily fluids🤣🤣
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
- flip flops for shared showers
- command strips as mentioned above!
- cutlery that is in unique (people will steal/think its their own if similar)
- alcohol and chocolate for first day moving in (convo starter!)
- cloud services for back up/using documents!
- pyjamas for inevitable fire alarms at 2am from people burning pasta
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (79)
11.99%
Virtual campus tours/open days (160)
24.28%
Live streaming events (52)
7.89%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
8.95%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.22%
An in-person event when available (156)
23.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise