The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Lse rejection

Hi everyone, Today I was sadly rejected by my dream university... LSE. I’m here to find some relief as it’s been really heartbreaking. I made the extraordinary effort to leave my house 2 years ago to come and live in the UK on my own leaving my entire life in Italy behind, with the only goal of getting into LSE. I feel my application was quite strong considering I was given offers by all the other unis I applied to, and in the rejection letter the reason for their decision was that although I met the entry requirements my subjects weren’t broad enough. This really breaks me cause I wasn’t asked any sort of documentation on what I studied previously in Italy (which is 12 subjects) and also I specifically called the admission office before applying 3 months ago just be assured my application was sufficient and I was told it was perfectly fine. Sorry for all the drama but I haven’t been so heartbroken in a long time. Any advice ?
Hello there! I was rejected from LSE too and it was absolutely heart-breaking. It was my dream university for years and I did as much as I could to make my application competitive. To be honest, the days after receiving my rejection letter were really mentally difficult.

I knew I wasn't the only applicant to get rejected but I still felt so alone, so I just wanted to let you know that you are most definitely not alone in feeling like this. There are loads of applicants with great grades and personal statements who have gotten rejected. I think it's very important to be proud of yourself for having an application that made you apply to LSE.

Personally, I've found another great way of handling rejection is to fall in love with one of the universities that have granted you an offer! Find out the course details, the opportunities for summer abroads, work placement, attractions you can visit around campus and societies.

You can also apply to LSE for summer school or for further study in the future.

The heartbreak does eventually fade and you'll start to be excited for the path ahead of you. LSE is a wonderful university but I'm sure that a hard working individual such as yourself will succeed in whichever university you decide to go to. I hope this helps :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Willy_vlstr
Hi everyone, Today I was sadly rejected by my dream university... LSE. I’m here to find some relief as it’s been really heartbreaking. I made the extraordinary effort to leave my house 2 years ago to come and live in the UK on my own leaving my entire life in Italy behind, with the only goal of getting into LSE. I feel my application was quite strong considering I was given offers by all the other unis I applied to, and in the rejection letter the reason for their decision was that although I met the entry requirements my subjects weren’t broad enough. This really breaks me cause I wasn’t asked any sort of documentation on what I studied previously in Italy (which is 12 subjects) and also I specifically called the admission office before applying 3 months ago just be assured my application was sufficient and I was told it was perfectly fine. Sorry for all the drama but I haven’t been so heartbroken in a long time. Any advice ?

What do you mean subjects werent broad enough?

What did you apply for and when?
What did you apply for
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hello there! I was rejected from LSE too and it was absolutely heart-breaking. It was my dream university for years and I did as much as I could to make my application competitive. To be honest, the days after receiving my rejection letter were really mentally difficult.

I knew I wasn't the only applicant to get rejected but I still felt so alone, so I just wanted to let you know that you are most definitely not alone in feeling like this. There are loads of applicants with great grades and personal statements who have gotten rejected. I think it's very important to be proud of yourself for having an application that made you apply to LSE.

Personally, I've found another great way of handling rejection is to fall in love with one of the universities that have granted you an offer! Find out the course details, the opportunities for summer abroads, work placement, attractions you can visit around campus and societies.

You can also apply to LSE for summer school or for further study in the future.

The heartbreak does eventually fade and you'll start to be excited for the path ahead of you. LSE is a wonderful university but I'm sure that a hard working individual such as yourself will succeed in whichever university you decide to go to. I hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much <3
Reply 5
Original post by Panjsuce
What did you apply for

Politics and economics
Reply 6
What do you mean subjects werent broad enough?

What did you apply for and when?

I don’t know ? lol I guess it has to do with the combination of subjects but the thing is they told me it was alright
I don’t know ? lol I guess it has to do with the combination of subjects but the thing is they told me it was alright

that sucks...

What subjects did you do for A level and what were your predicted?
Reply 8
Hi- I got rejected today too for the exact same reason- to me it sounds like a bit of a cop out excuse, and I assume they had to be harsh on offers as they had such a large amount of applicants this year. As you've said, you have offers from other unis, and I am sure you will love the one you end up at, as you picked it for a reason. Besides, LSE has its own flaws, which aren't shared by other universities. Wish you the best
Original post by uzyuz
Hi- I got rejected today too for the exact same reason- to me it sounds like a bit of a cop out excuse, and I assume they had to be harsh on offers as they had such a large amount of applicants this year. As you've said, you have offers from other unis, and I am sure you will love the one you end up at, as you picked it for a reason. Besides, LSE has its own flaws, which aren't shared by other universities. Wish you the best

hey if you only done 2 a level its not that great you should of done 3/4 a level to get into lse maths is an important subject to get into lse. with top grades like a*a a at least. also what did you want to read at lse.
that sucks...

What subjects did you do for A level and what were your predicted?

Economics, maths and business
A*AA
Economics, maths and business
A*AA

That explains it ...LSE consider Economics and Business too narrow a combination

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Assets/PDF/open-day-july-2018-applying-to-LSE-slides.pdf

Hi Willy,
Do you think you would wanna go to LSE exclusively or any UOL is fine?
And is Politics and Economics the only one you would have wanted?

I just wanna back track a bit maybe this would help
Original post by marcdwan
Hi Willy,
Do you think you would wanna go to LSE exclusively or any UOL is fine?
And is Politics and Economics the only one you would have wanted?

I just wanna back track a bit maybe this would help

That's a good point - there are other good London unis like UCL or Kings that won't be as strict about the Business/Economics being too narrow thing - that's just LSE being fussy.

Willy could take a year out and reappy to a range of other unis and would be likely to get offers if they have alread achieved top grades.
(edited 3 years ago)

Heyy! International student from Egypt, and have been working really hard the last two years with LSE as my dream uni. Got rejected here for the exact same reason, with the exact same a levels(business,econ & maths). And there I thought no-one was feeling the same way I did. Its pretty frustrating as I had a perfect 8 A* in GCSEs, A* alevel maths, and predicted an A* in econ and A in business Alevels this session. Also its been four months since the rejection, and I still think about it, I mean I had the perfect grades to get in, and I even had the capacity to do 4 A-levels If I knew it would have secured my acceptance. Yet, us international students don’t have good resources to learn about this stuff, and what do universities abroad like and dislike. Fortunately I got into Warwick and I am pretty thankful for it. How about you, how are things going so far?

So sorry to hear your news, I know the feeling as it is also my top choice. I can only remind you that when one door shuts, another will open & you may find that whatever shape that takes, it will be the making of you as this stage in your life will become one that will make you stronger... these are not meant to be empty words as I know it won’t allay your disappointment. Feeling your pain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending