City, University of London's Economics Thread 2021

Watch this thread
[email protected]
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone!

With the academic year drawing to a close, many of you may now be thinking about university plans. Will you be attending university? Are you happy with your choice of university? What would you like to know before starting university?

With that in mind - Welcome to City, University of London’s Economics thread 2021!

Here you can askany questions you have about studying Economics at City, from what the university has to offer you, to how we can help you advance academically, professionally, and personally.

Start your discussion and I will join in with suggestions and answers. I am keen to learn more about you so please feel free to reply below with your answers to:

• What specific course will you be applying for?
  • What stage are you at in your application?
  • How are you feeling about starting university?

Find all the latest information about starting Economics at City this September on our website.

I will be following this thread closely for anyone who has any questions. I wish everyone the very best of luck come results day and hope to see many of you next year! 😊

Best wishes,

Abida Ali

Official City, University of London Student Rep
zoyazehra
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by [email protected])
Hello everyone!

With the academic year drawing to a close, many of you may now be thinking about university plans. Will you be attending university? Are you happy with your choice of university? What would you like to know before starting university?

With that in mind - Welcome to City, University of London’s Economics thread 2021!

Here you can ask any questions you have about studying Economics at City, from what the university has to offer you, to how we can help you advance academically, professionally, and personally.

Start your discussion and I will join in with suggestions and answers. I am keen to learn more about you so please feel free to reply below with your answers to:

Find all the latest information about starting Economics at City this September on our website.

I will be following this thread closely for anyone who has any questions. I wish everyone the very best of luck come results day and hope to see many of you next year! 😊

Best wishes,

Abida Ali

hi! i’ve applied for economics but i wanted to know if an economics student at city can change to a course at cass like A&F after the course starts if they meet the entry requirements?
[email protected]
Rep:
Hi @zoyazehra!That’s great news – I am so glad to hear that you have applied and pleased to hear that you are interested!It sounds like you are doing a great job of being proactive by reaching out and considering different options. BSc (Hons) Economics is a hugely interesting course here and if interested in the financial or accounting side of it, City also offers BSc (Hons) Financial Economics (https://www.city.ac.uk/study/courses...cial-economics) and BSc (Hons) Economics with Accounting (https://www.city.ac.uk/study/courses...ith-accounting). Economics students are also able to join Cass Business School societies (I myself am Director of Research in the Cass M
pugpuppy111
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hello everyone!

Here you can ask any questions you have about studying Economics at City, from what the university has to offer you, to how we can help you advance academically, professionally, and personally.

Best wishes,

Abida Ali

Hi, Ive got an offer for A&F, and i was wondering if many City students go onto Investment Banking at the top banks. Where do they go for internships, etc
[email protected]
Rep:
(Original post by pugpuppy111)
Hi, Ive got an offer for A&F, and i was wondering if many City students go onto Investment Banking at the top banks. Where do they go for internships, etc
Hello, I hope you are well!

First of all, a huge congratulations on the very well-deserved offer; I am extremely pleased for you!

Studying at City UoL leaves you open to a huge variety of careers at a graduate level as well as internships. Your degree at City UoL at City will teach you maths, statistics, and analytical skills which will allow you to enter careers in a variety of different areas such as banking, business, finance or consulting. Investment Banking is not the only option, it is just an example of one of my personal interests / preferences. For example, in my first year I had 3 internships in various areas of Finance: Investment Banking, Equity Research, and Venture Capital. I also know other students who decided to not go in Finance completely, and instead work for the government. So, there are plenty of options and the university’s CareerHub is always so supportive (they helped me with mock-interviews and my CV)!

Wishing you all the very best come results day and I hope to welcome you on-campus in future! 😊

Kind regards,
Abida
HKW44
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I got an offer for Accounting and Finance BSc, and I was wondering how much access undergraduate students have to the Cass Business School building and its facilities; as I am aware that undergraduate Cass students study at the main campus in Northampton Square and not the Cass Business School Building?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I hope your well.
I have applied for economics with accounting and I was wondering what stationary I would need.
E.g would I need a binder or leaver arch folder per subject ect
Also what is your day to day life like at city whilst studying economics and do you have any tips???
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Also if I were to do economics with accounting what campus would I be on??
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Hello everyone!

Best wishes,

Abida Ali

Hi, I hope your well.
I have applied for economics with accounting and I was wondering what stationary I would need.
Also what is your day to day life like at city whilst studying economics and do you have any tips???
Sarahloww
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hey has everyone received an offer ?
John Bull
Badges: 10
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HKW44)
Hi, I got an offer for Accounting and Finance BSc, and I was wondering how much access undergraduate students have to the Cass Business School building and its facilities; as I am aware that undergraduate Cass students study at the main campus in Northampton Square and not the Cass Business School Building?
You will have no lectures at Bunhill. You can enter and use the library
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Hello, I hope you are well!

First of all, a huge congratulations on the very well-deserved offer; I am extremely pleased for you!

Studying at City UoL leaves you open to a huge variety of careers at a graduate level as well as internships. Your degree at City UoL at City will teach you maths, statistics, and analytical skills which will allow you to enter careers in a variety of different areas such as banking, business, finance or consulting. Investment Banking is not the only option, it is just an example of one of my personal interests / preferences. For example, in my first year I had 3 internships in various areas of Finance: Investment Banking, Equity Research, and Venture Capital. I also know other students who decided to not go in Finance completely, and instead work for the government. So, there are plenty of options and the university’s CareerHub is always so supportive (they helped me with mock-interviews and my CV)!

Wishing you all the very best come results day and I hope to welcome you on-campus in future! 😊

Kind regards,
Abida
Hi Abida,
How do I go about being organised at uni?
[email protected]
Rep:
(Original post by HKW44)
Hello, I hope you are well. A huge congratulations on your offer at City, University of London for BSc Accounting and Finance! I am so pleased for you. 😊

That is correct – undergraduate students have most of their lectures in Northampton Square than the Business School building. However, we still have a lot of access to the Business School building and its facilities. As an undergraduate student myself, I have entered the Business School numerous times throughout my first year to meet-up with friends, talk to staff, use their library and study spaces, and to use other facilities on campus.

Wishing you all the best come results day and I hope to welcome you on campus in future! Please let me know if you have any other questions in the meanwhile and I would be happy to help. 😊

Best Regards,
Abida Ali
Official Economics Student Representative for City, University of London
[email protected]
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I hope your well.
Hello, I hope you are well. I am so pleased to hear that you are interested in studying Economics with Accounting at City, University of London! 😊

There is no specific check-list, however this is my personal check-list for stationary which I have found to be quite useful to stay organised with my studies:
• Black pens.
• Coloured pens (which I use to make annotations/further explanation over my existing work).
• Pencils (for graphs in Economics).
• Ruler (for graphs in Economics).
• Rubber (in case I make any mistakes when drawing my graphs).
• Highlighter (which I use when note-taking to highlight key information).
• Binder/Leaver Arch Folder (which I use to organise all my notes).
• Dividers (which I place in my binder/leaver arch folder to organise work. I have a new divider for each module).
• Notebooks (for taking notes).
In terms of my day-to-day life at university, each day is always different and interesting! Some days there may be a lecture, another day a tutorial/lab work, there are social society events that take place at university too, career fairs, volunteering opportunities that I get involved in, part-time jobs available to students, appointments with the university’s career service or personal tutor, catching-up with university friends, and many more. I honestly really enjoy university life at City!
With regards to tips for studying Economics at City, I would recommend doing the following which has helped me:
• Keep a separate notebook with all the key graphs for the module as in exams, you want to draw them correctly and not forget any labels.
• For maths and econometrics, go over examples as it is very helpful for your understanding and remembering the steps/ knowledge.
• Be proactive and don’t be afraid to ask for help – the lecturer’s here at City are incredibly supportive and always happy to help, so you can always go to their office with any questions. Make friends on your course too, as you will also have some group work and it would be helpful to know people to work with. Additionally, you can group study which is helpful for learning.
• Do all the key reading – the university offers students the choice to borrow books from the library for free! So rather than spending hundreds of pounds on books, borrow from the library and learn.
• Join societies of your interest that will help with your economic application and thinking if you are interested – I joined the Economics society, Trading & Investment society, M&A and Private Equity society, and many more.

Those are a few of my thoughts, which I hope you found helpful. Wishing you all the best come results day and I hope to welcome you on campus in future! Please let me know if you have any other questions in the meanwhile and I would be happy to help. 😊

Best Regards,
Abida Ali
[email protected]
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous)
Also if I were to do economics with accounting what campus would I be on??
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is Abida and I am an Official Economics Student Representative at City UoL, where I am in my second-year of undergraduate study.

For Economics with Accounting, most of the undergraduate teaching would be at the Northampton Square campus. As you have Accounting incorporated, it may have some classes elsewhere – however, please note that before you start, you will be able to access your individual timetable which will have all information on building location, room number, start time, date etc. This individual timetable will provide greater accuracy to your specific lecture/tutorial rooms.

If there are any other questions you may have about studying at City UoL, please do let me know and I would be more than happy to help. Wishing you all the success with your future studies! 😊

Best Regards,
Abida Ali
ppapanastasiou
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Check the latest Tilburg University research rankings. City is ranked there 119 in the world.

https://econtop.uvt.nl/rankingsandbox.php

At present, there is a worldwide ranking for Business schools, carried out by the University of Texas, Dallas (The UTD Top 100 Business School Research Rankings), and a Finance ranking carried out by Arizona State University. There is no current worldwide ranking for Economics schools comparable to that of the UT Dallas. Recognizing this, the CentER for Research in Economics and Business at Tilburg University, the Netherlands, decided to create a worldwide ranking for Economics schools.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (59)
27.06%
As I expected (69)
31.65%
Harder (82)
37.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.67%

Watched Threads