The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Student jobs in Cardiff

Hi,

I’m looking to go to Cardiff Uni in September and am just wondering what jobs students tend to get? It may seem like an odd question, but i live VERY rurally currently, so the only job within around a 10 mile radius is at a pub and is limited.
What is your experience with getting a job as a student? Any jobs you wouldn’t recommend?

I know this sounds weird but it would be really helpful as i’ve never lived in more than a village environment and cities are foreign to me!
Thank you! 💙
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I’m looking to go to Cardiff Uni in September and am just wondering what jobs students tend to get? It may seem like an odd question, but i live VERY rurally currently, so the only job within around a 10 mile radius is at a pub and is limited.
What is your experience with getting a job as a student? Any jobs you wouldn’t recommend?

I know this sounds weird but it would be really helpful as i’ve never lived in more than a village environment and cities are foreign to me!
Thank you! 💙

Mainly hospitality in normal times (obviously not at the moment) most of my friends worked at the SU in the pub and and the club, the hours are super flexible and the pay is pretty good. You have to sign up for Jobshop which is an incentive that the uni run to get access to SU jobs, Jobshop also send ads for temporary work in warehouses, for open days etc.

I think jobs are going to be harder to find post-pandemic so you might benefit from having a car if possible?

I had a job at home when I was in my first and second year (~40 minutes from Cardiff) it was regularly a Saturday morning (wouldn't recommend as you miss Friday nights) and then I worked full time over the holidays. I wouldn't really recommend working full time over the holidays tbh.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Cookie0799
Mainly hospitality in normal times (obviously not at the moment) most of my friends worked at the SU in the pub and and the club, the hours are super flexible and the pay is pretty good. You have to sign up for Jobshop which is an incentive that the uni run to get access to SU jobs, Jobshop also send ads for temporary work in warehouses, for open days etc.

I think jobs are going to be harder to find post-pandemic so you might benefit from having a car if possible?

I had a job at home when I was in my first and second year (~40 minutes from Cardiff) it was regularly a Saturday morning (wouldn't recommend as you miss Friday nights) and then I worked full time over the holidays. I wouldn't really recommend working full time over the holidays tbh.

thank you!! i am hoping it is better post-pandemic and the SU sounds amazing!!

I feel sorry for you doing that holiday work, RIP you 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending