Property owner, which party should I vote for?

Watch
TheRogueUnit
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I don’t particularly agree with all of any party. However, I feel I have to safeguard the property, so I can pass something real down to my family.

Which party is best for me? My view of Labour at the moment is that they are not too bad at the moment but need to reach wider and get some of their more conservative northern base back especially.

While I regard the Tories as corrupt and the Lib Dem’s as treacherous (Nick Clegg was two faces, Vince Cable an old wind bag, Jo Swinson too strident and Ed Davey as a nothing do far).
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why did you create an account just to post this thread? 🤔
TheRogueUnit
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Why did you create an account just to post this thread? 🤔
How else am I supposed to post a thread without having an account?
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheRogueUnit)
How else am I supposed to post a thread without having an account?
Well, you got me there!

Just seems like an odd question to ask given that this is a forum for students (who are typically not property owners), no less by the fact that this is your first post on an account that was (seemingly) made today.

But to answer your question, any party would do. In terms of passing something down to your family, I don't think any party will pose a major threat.
TheRogueUnit
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Well, you got me there!

Just seems like an odd question to ask given that this is a forum for students (who are typically not property owners), no less by the fact that this is your first post on an account that was (seemingly) made today.

But to answer your question, any party would do. In terms of passing something down to your family, I don't think any party will pose a major threat.
Won’t a Labour govt increase death duty?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wait for the Chancellor to publish the Budget in March and see then.
Two years ago I would have said that Labour are usually the most likely party to increase taxation and target the cash & property asset wealthy.
But with the antics of the current load of one nation wets since 2020, one can never be quite sure what they are capable of doing
next.
Last edited by londonmyst; 1 week ago
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't know, their last manifesto did not give a clear policy. It may not matter for you anyway, but that would depend on the value of your property.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Seems a bit suspicious that someone who supposedly has the means to own a house would feel the best way to get advice on who to vote for is to create an account on a student forum... never mind having somehow got this far in life without knowing what a political party stands for... I call bull to be honest.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Two years ago I would have said that Labour are usually the most likely party to increase taxation and target the cash & property asset wealthy.
But with the antics of the current load of one nation wets since 2020, one can never be quite sure what they are capable of doing
next.
To be honest unless the parties all have completely illiterate chancellors (not as far fetched an idea as it should be tbh..) taxes are going up across the board from all parties and the property owning classes are going to get it in the neck whether they like it or not :lol:
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t particularly agree with all of any party. However, I feel I have to safeguard the property, so I can pass something real down to my family.

Which party is best for me?
SNP

Another council tax freeze this year ftw!
MatureStudent37
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago

Which party is best for me? My view of Labour at the moment is that they are not too bad at the moment but need to reach wider and get some of their more conservative northern base back especially.

While I regard the Tories as corrupt and the Lib Dem’s as treacherous (Nick Clegg was two faces, Vince Cable an old wind bag, Jo Swinson too strident and Ed Davey as a nothing do far).
How are the Tories corrupt?

As a hone owner, it’s not really going to make much difference who gets in.

it’s actually who gets voted in at Council level who’s going to screw your over the worst.
-Imperator-
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago

Are you thinking about upcoming local elections? If so, then surely it is a local matter. The Conservative council I'm in have been doing an excellent job since they took control in 2006. Roads, transport, and facilities are excellently maintained, and council tax was frozen for fourteen consecutive years. Conservatives in our council have committed to raise base rate of taxes this year by 90% of the London average (so 1.8% rather than 2%). Council taxes remain markedly lower than those of adjacent councils.
hotpud
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago

If you want to pass something on, it doesn't matter a jot which party you vote for. What you should be doing instead is either saving or insuring against having to spend your final days in a care home. Either that or persuading your family to look after you. The maths of an aging population simply don't add up. The idea that the state will see you right through old age in a care home is fast becoming a myth. An average house will keep you going for about 3-4 years so either bank on a quick death or else make additional provision. Any illusions of passing your house on as a tax fiddle will be closed by whatever party.
Last edited by hotpud; 2 days ago
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
next.
Best post on this thread.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Doubt it, when did they last do that?

Edit
Got bored of your account I guess....
Last edited by Quady; 2 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (33)
13.87%
Virtual campus tours/open days (52)
21.85%
Live streaming events (24)
10.08%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (23)
9.66%
A uni comparison tool (55)
23.11%
An in-person event when available (51)
21.43%