The Student Room Group

A level RS without GCSE?

I’m currently choosing my A levels and I’m considering religious studies. Religion has always interested me, but I didn’t have the option to do GCSE RS. My school combined RS and life skills from y7-y10 and we really didn’t learn much about religion. It was more focused on applying for jobs and it was only once a week. Will I be too behind for A level?
Hey! do you know what board you would be doing, if you do RS A level ?

I do it as an A level but I did do it as a GCSE but people in my class didn't do GCSE RS and are completely fine. If you do a board such as AQA you won't be at a disadvantage but you obviously should know the basics of the religions you may be studying e.g Islam, Christianity or Judaism. Moreover, in A level you would be learning new things so the whole class would be at the same level. Part of my RS A level syllabus included learning about philosophy and ethics and I had little knowledge about these topics even though I did RS at GCSE. RS is a really interesting subject so I definitely recommend giving it a try !! I don't think you would be at any disadvantage doing it at A level.

Hope that helped x
Reply 2
No I can almost guarantee you'll be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by Steph Talatu
Hey! do you know what board you would be doing, if you do RS A level ?

I do it as an A level but I did do it as a GCSE but people in my class didn't do GCSE RS and are completely fine. If you do a board such as AQA you won't be at a disadvantage but you obviously should know the basics of the religions you may be studying e.g Islam, Christianity or Judaism. Moreover, in A level you would be learning new things so the whole class would be at the same level. Part of my RS A level syllabus included learning about philosophy and ethics and I had little knowledge about these topics even though I did RS at GCSE. RS is a really interesting subject so I definitely recommend giving it a try !! I don't think you would be at any disadvantage doing it at A level.

Hope that helped x

Yes, it would be AQA. Thank you for your advice, I’m going to read up on religions a bit before September.
Reply 4
A large % of A level RS is generally philosophy and ethics (which isn't really covered in GCSE) so you'll be at the same point as everyone else for that.

Quick Reply

Latest