The Student Room Group

Is the covid vaccine the new religion?

I've had so much vitriol and abuse for asking what are legitimate questions about the vaccine. The objections and barriers that people are putting up make me concerned...

Scroll to see replies

Not unless you are drawing parallels with 'the opium of the masses" quote.
Although now you mention it... :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst

Haha, I hadn't heard that quote.

I'm so confused as I've never experienced so much resistance on a topic. I really feel like I'm in a minority
Original post by Fruli

I'm so confused as I've never experienced so much resistance on a topic. I really feel like I'm in a minority

People are desperate for their lives to return to normal and generally frightened by the reported infection & death numbers.
Plus quite confused by all the different covid vaccines available, frequent lockdown changes that are often poorly communicated/explained and the enormous disruption to their usual lifestyles.
Original post by Fruli

Most people in the UK anyway are used to having a hell of a lot more liberty and overall choice/procrastination about things. However this is one of those events where you pretty much need to do as you're told and that's rattling a lot of chips off shoulders. I'd argue that an overall majority of questions i've seen asked are essentially vexatious.
Reply 5
Yeah it feels like it. It's as dodgy as religion.
Reply 6
Original post by Bio 7
Yeah it feels like it. It's as dodgy as religion.

I'm assuming you are in bio medical sciences, based on your avatar?
Reply 7
Original post by Fruli
I'm assuming you are in bio medical sciences, based on your avatar?

I was, for various reasons not anymore.
Reply 8
Original post by StriderHort
"However this is one of those events where you pretty much need to do as you're told and that's rattling a lot of chips off shoulders. I'd argue that an overall majority of questions i've seen asked are essentially vexatious"

This gives me the chills tbh. I feel like I'm living 1984
Reply 9
Original post by Bio 7
I was, for various reasons not anymore.

Well when I see someone formally from Bio Medical Sciences echo these sentiments, I am compelled to pay attention.

Why did you leave the profession?
Original post by Fruli
I've had so much vitriol and abuse for asking what are legitimate questions about the vaccine. The objections and barriers that people are putting up make me concerned...

What kinda questions are you asking? ^^
Isn't this the sort of tyranny we were supposedly invading Syria and Iraq for, and the reason for which we would laugh at the likes of North Korea?

The NHS is ****, you are better off saving a bit of money and getting any work done in Thailand.
Reply 12
Original post by darkblu
What kinda questions are you asking? ^^

Why we have to have vaccine passports?

How longterm side effects have been determined?

Why have there been contradictory reports regarding the late Tom Moore's vaccination status.

Why a perfectly healthy person who has survived covid should have to take the vaccine
Original post by ketlumpini
Isn't this the sort of tyranny we were supposedly invading Syria and Iraq for, and the reason for which we would laugh at the likes of North Korea?

providing people with free life saving treatment is not tyranny.
Reply 14
Original post by Fruli
Well when I see someone formally from Bio Medical Sciences echo these sentiments, I am compelled to pay attention.

Why did you leave the profession?

Oh I was only in uni but I've left to deal with a few things. Turns out it wasn't something I enjoyed past highers.
Original post by Fruli
Why we have to have vaccine passports?

How longterm side effects have been determined?

Why have there been contradictory reports regarding the late Tom Moore's vaccination status.

Why a perfectly healthy person who has survived covid should have to take the vaccine

I personally just think it's smart to have documentation of vaccination against disease for safety but that's just my opinion ofc ^^ And it's not like it's anything new anyways.

And also vaccines are just a good idea in general idk why a perfectly healthy person wouldn't want it ig

The other things ofc are just valid questions and idk why people would get mad over them, lol
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by londonmyst

Your friendly neighbourhood comrade approves.
Original post by the bear
providing people with free life saving treatment is not tyranny.

Does that include the life saving MRSA/bedbugs/ventilators and Do Not Resuscitate notices?

If it is so virtuous why did the media need to keep shoving the weekly clap down peoples throats?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by darkblu
I personally just think it's smart to have documentation of vaccination against disease for safety but that's just my opinion ofc ^^ And it's not like it's anything new anyways.

And also vaccines are just a good idea in general idk why a perfectly healthy person wouldn't want it ig

The other things ofc are just valid questions and idk why people would get mad over them, lol

Oh by vaccine passports, I mean domestic passports. There was talk of domestic digital passports, which means that you would have to prove you have been vaccinated to go to the supermarket, to go to restaurants, to go to work, to get on public transport, etc.

There is a petition on it which fortunately has really picked up in the last 7 days, jumping from 80k to 160k in just 7 days: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/569957
Original post by Fruli
This gives me the chills tbh. I feel like I'm living 1984

Why? You'll recall that health provision in 1984 was well, crap? Mortality was high and such a thing as any joint vaccine treatment and research would be unthinkable.

How much tolerance do you think communities would have had during WWII blackouts for people walking about with flashlights shouting "I think this is all a government hoax btw! I have questions!"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending